DADT..if repealed whats it mean? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lulz, maybe Shaffer's head will explode.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell Update 01: A group of House Democrats want troops previously dismissed under the ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ law to be able to apply for honorable discharge status, opening the door for them to receive veterans benefits. In a letter to Defense Secretary Robert Gates last month, House Armed Services Committee ranking member Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) and two colleagues asked Pentagon officials to look into the possibility of allowing those troops to petition the boards of correction to upgrade their status to an honorable discharge, if they received a lesser distinction. Under Department of Veterans Affairs rules, only troops who receive a dishonorable or bad-conduct discharge are completely barred from receiving veterans benefits. But troops with other-than-honorable dismissals do see some restrictions on their eligibility. Troops with other-than-honorable dismissals can apply for health care related to service-connected injuries, but the department can deny treatment for health issues that develop later in life. They are not eligible for GI Bill benefits, and may be refused veterans home loans.
    Aubrey Sarvis, executive director of pro-repeal Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, said the other-than honorable dismissals also carry with them a negative stigma when troops apply for civilian jobs. ―For local law enforcement, defense contractor posts, jobs like those, it‘s almost an automatic exclusion,‖ he said. ―It can reallycreate problems in terms of future employment.‖ Sarvis said the majority of the ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ dismissals have been honorable discharges, but his group has handled a number of cases where troops were given lesser status simply because of a commander‘s negative views on homosexuality. More than 14,000 troops have been dismissed from the military under the controversial ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ law since 1993, although none have been kicked out since NOV 2010. In December, Congress passed legislation to repeal the law in the near future, after the Defense Department finalizes a plan to make the change without disrupting current combat operations. In January, a report from the non-partisan Government Accountability Office calculated that between 2004 and 2009 alone, the Department of Defense spent $193 million to recruit and train service members to replace those dismissed under Don‘t Ask Don‘t Tell.
    Last week, Pentagon officials offered an overview of that plan, including new diversity and respect training for all troops. They also announced that troops dismissed under the law will be allowed to reapply for admission to the service once the repeal is finalized, provided they still meet enlistment criteria. However, in a memo to the service chiefs, Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Clifford Stanley wrote that the Department ―will not authorize compensation of any type, including retroactive separation pay,‖ for those previously separated under the law. Sarvis said his group is working on a proposal to allow all of the troops dismissed under ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ to appeal their status to the Pentagon. Even troops with honorable status have ―homosexual conduct‖ stamped on their discharge paperwork, which creates privacy headaches when civilian employers ask for evidence of their military experience. ―We need to process these on a uniform and expeditious basis, because we‘re looking at a situation where we‘ll probably have more than 14,000 people looking to have their records changed,‖ he said. [Source: Stars & Stripes Leo Shane article 3 Feb 2011 ++]
    ==============================

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Palmer View Post
    Don't Ask, Don't Tell Update 01: A group of House Democrats want troops previously dismissed under the ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ law to be able to apply for honorable discharge status, opening the door for them to receive veterans benefits. In a letter to Defense Secretary Robert Gates last month, House Armed Services Committee ranking member Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) and two colleagues asked Pentagon officials to look into the possibility of allowing those troops to petition the boards of correction to upgrade their status to an honorable discharge, if they received a lesser distinction. Under Department of Veterans Affairs rules, only troops who receive a dishonorable or bad-conduct discharge are completely barred from receiving veterans benefits. But troops with other-than-honorable dismissals do see some restrictions on their eligibility. Troops with other-than-honorable dismissals can apply for health care related to service-connected injuries, but the department can deny treatment for health issues that develop later in life. They are not eligible for GI Bill benefits, and may be refused veterans home loans.
    Aubrey Sarvis, executive director of pro-repeal Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, said the other-than honorable dismissals also carry with them a negative stigma when troops apply for civilian jobs. ―For local law enforcement, defense contractor posts, jobs like those, it‘s almost an automatic exclusion,‖ he said. ―It can reallycreate problems in terms of future employment.‖ Sarvis said the majority of the ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ dismissals have been honorable discharges, but his group has handled a number of cases where troops were given lesser status simply because of a commander‘s negative views on homosexuality. More than 14,000 troops have been dismissed from the military under the controversial ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ law since 1993, although none have been kicked out since NOV 2010. In December, Congress passed legislation to repeal the law in the near future, after the Defense Department finalizes a plan to make the change without disrupting current combat operations. In January, a report from the non-partisan Government Accountability Office calculated that between 2004 and 2009 alone, the Department of Defense spent $193 million to recruit and train service members to replace those dismissed under Don‘t Ask Don‘t Tell.
    Last week, Pentagon officials offered an overview of that plan, including new diversity and respect training for all troops. They also announced that troops dismissed under the law will be allowed to reapply for admission to the service once the repeal is finalized, provided they still meet enlistment criteria. However, in a memo to the service chiefs, Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Clifford Stanley wrote that the Department ―will not authorize compensation of any type, including retroactive separation pay,‖ for those previously separated under the law. Sarvis said his group is working on a proposal to allow all of the troops dismissed under ―don‘t ask, don‘t tell‖ to appeal their status to the Pentagon. Even troops with honorable status have ―homosexual conduct‖ stamped on their discharge paperwork, which creates privacy headaches when civilian employers ask for evidence of their military experience. ―We need to process these on a uniform and expeditious basis, because we‘re looking at a situation where we‘ll probably have more than 14,000 people looking to have their records changed,‖ he said. [Source: Stars & Stripes Leo Shane article 3 Feb 2011 ++]
    ==============================
    Oh great...it just gets better and better ! Give me a break

So you have no issue with Marines who served honorably not being honorably discharged or being denied benefits because they were on the dude train back at home? Really? A Marine who likes dudes is unarguably a helluva lot more of a Marine than one he serves alongside and throws him under the bus because what he does at home... Just my .02

Mike

I recently got briefed about the new policy. Apparently we Marines are leading the way and getting it done before every other service. Which i think shows are professionalism. Though we as a service apposed it, we are the first to follow the new order.

The guidance is the policy has been changed to more like Don't ask tell if you want to. Those Marines who decide to come out so to speak are to be treated with the same respect and rights as any other Marine. They will not be discriminated against. But at the same time any spouse they have will not be recognized as a dependent, since it is still against federal law. They will be expected to follow the same standards that every Marine does. So no cross dressing. Now as for article 125 it is now being enforced when the act is forced. But then again before this change if you ever had sex outside of missionary, received or given oral sex, you violated the article. Sodomy did not just refer to anal intercourse.

Now this is the extent of guidance given. More can be expect by july.

And that post probably shows why i failed the grammar MCI twice in the 8000 series

One of the most ridiculous aspects of the many, if not infinite, problems that arise, is that we havent housed the male Marine with the female Marines because why?, next how then can you house one lesbian or one homo with another? , you cant unless you allow hetero's to be be housed together , right ? Where are the intelligent ones making these decisions ? back room trade-offs or what. My great new Sen. bent right over with this one, the guy had me fooled to the T, now scott brown can call himself another m******* along with kerry ! This Sen. was ask by me , a Marine father of an 0331, to line up my sons Plt and tell them why this DADT repeal is healthy for our Marines as he is quoted saying, I have not heard anything from his office in DC or Boston yet. No , I know he would never have the scrotum to do what is right for our Marines unless it promotes his political appearance, take my word he is a liar just like the rest ! I am rambling on here but it still is ashame that we cant have men, Man Enough To Be Men once again in the Senate our the House.!

Crazymjb what are you saying ?

Closed. This is a knife fight we don't need. To answer the original poster, won't happen.

And since I'm a mod, I get the last word...

Poofs don't belong in the military, openly, period.

Thread Information