MOS:08xx ?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOS:08xx ?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MOS:08xx ?

Hello Marines! I'm wondering if any of you have any info on the 08 mos.Artillery is the first choice I'd be interested in getting when I enlist.If it's not possible I'd want to go Tanks or Infantry.So my main question is,what's a day like in the Artillery MOS? Is there ever any combat involved or are you far enough back from the main fighting that it's just a distant thought? What skills do you need in the MOS? math for all the range and stuff?

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the reply Marine but I'm looking for a more specific answer from someone who's been in the MOS who can tell me some specifics on the job. Thanks for they reply though!

I'm attached to a Battery (artillery unit), I'm a motor t operator but i've been out in the field with them and seen them shoot. I can only tell you the basic stuff they do, not too in depth because I've never around them on base. All you do (to my knowledge) is:

Fix/Clean/Maintain the M777 Howizters
    When out in the field you just do field exercises, shooting and stuff.

that's all i know. any arty marines, feel free to get more in depth

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the reply!Any Marines with any info on what a day in the Artillery is like? I'm enlisting in September (hopefully) and I'd like to know more about the 08 field.Also how are you selected for Forward observer? Thanks in advance for the replies!

I've been training for Artillery at Ft. Sill for about 2 months now. We are, more or less, the Marine Corps' jack of all trades. Because of the situation in Afghanistan right now (and, formally, Iraq) Artillery is not needed as much in its expected capacity. BUT, the Marine Corps is not going to waste a handful of good Marines now, are they? Because of this, we often leave for country doing whatever job needs to be done, whether that is Infantry (most of my instructors have spent their enlistments as grunts), Civil Affairs, Military Police, or whatever. Sometimes they let us do our ACTUAL job too..

Be aware, however, that while Artillery is a combat MOS, many portions of it are more "pogish" than others. For example, I signed up wanting to be in the thick of the fight as an 0861 - FO. Right now I am training for both the 0847 - Survey and Meteorology, and 0842 - Radar Operator fields. Mostly these jobs require me to sit in a heated/AC'd HMMWV and input data into computers all day. Not very glamorous work, but it's actually pretty enjoyable if you ask me, even if I'm not getting to shoot things.

Of course, those jobs take a bit of brainpower compared to some... so if you're ASVAB score is below a 75, they'll probably have you pull the string. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me...

Let me know if you have any more questions, but keep in mind that I haven't hit the fleet yet.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the reply! So how do you know what job within the artillery field you're selected for? Did they just assign everyone a job or did you get some say in what you wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by jc091393 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! So how do you know what job within the artillery field you're selected for? Did they just assign everyone a job or did you get some say in what you wanted?

If you are active duty they'll tell you what job you get. Most become 0811's.

your question is very broad, so of course you will be getting broad answers. What specific jobs are of interest to you?

Ill tell you briefly about myself. I am an 0861, or an FO (Forward Observer). The official title for the 0861 job is a Fire Support Man. Pretty much as an 0861, you call in and adjust artillery fire from m777 howitzers. My typical time spent in the field is very relaxed. We sit on a bunker, tower, hill, overlook, or wherever an impact area is and call in arty fire.

The knowledge it takes is being able to read maps, self navigate, computing azimuths, angles, directions, distances, etc. This MOS is probably more math / trig than others. Of course there are many great devices we use to help us out. Such as Vector 21B's which are laser range finders, etc which do almost everything for you. DAGR's which are used in conjunction with Vectors to give a 6, 8 or 10 digit grid to a lazed target. As an 0861 they focus on PT more often than the other types of arty mos's. Im considered the liason section, so we can be attached to grunts, or whomever, and you wouldnt want to fall behind with them. To get this MOS i believe you need an ASVAB score of over 90 and a GT of 120.. could be a little mistaken on those numbers.

Again this is what i know about my MOS. i dont know much on the rest of artillery because in a field environment we are miles away form the rest of the battery.

Also the training for any artillery job is less than stellar. You train at your MOS school in Ft. Sill, OK. The summers are HOT, and the winters COLD. Verrry restrictive policy there, and you can definately expect to wait for months before picking up a class.

So my main question is,what's a day like in the Artillery MOS? Is there ever any combat involved or are you far enough back from the main fighting that it's just a distant thought?
    I chuckled at this.
    You understand the basic concept of Artillery right? =P

Quote Originally Posted by Mknapp2 View Post
    Ill tell you briefly about myself. I am an 0861, or an FO (Forward Observer).
    what's up Knapp? it's Albert!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EMpunker View Post
    what's up Knapp? it's Albert!!!
    hey buddy whatsup! long time no see since MOS school. you lovin' life at the moment?

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the replies Marines! I know this is an old thread but I'd rather dig this one up than start another one.I took the ASVAB at school and got a 94 AFQT so I'm wondering if that will affect my job choices within the Artillery field.I don't want to end up being an FDC guy or a weather man or something not in the field.The two MOS's that interest me the most are 0811 and 0861 especially.Will I be able to get any of those two? Also,are Marine artillery units deploying to Afghanistan with their guns or are they being sent over as provisional infantry?

Basically it all depends on when you're at mct. If you're there and they are picking up s lot of 0861,s you'll get it. This is what happened to me a few months ago and I got lucky. But if you were to be close to getting your orders at mct now, you'd either be a 11 or 42. Just the luck of the draw I guess

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the reply Capital M and congrats on being a Marine(late I know but I remember when you were still a poolee on here). How do you like being an 0861?

Thread Information