Odds of getting shipped off to the mideast
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Odds of getting shipped off to the mideast

What do ya'll think my odds are of getting shipped to the middle east? Assuming i get in and all basic arithmetic tells me ill be finishing infantry school about this time next year. Will Marine presence be fairly high? Like i told the recruiter, I wanna go to War.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I would say almost 100%..but don't be to moto about "going to war". Every one of us Marines wants the opportunity to do our job but saying "I wanna go to war" sounds extremely ignorant. It is not all glam and glory out there.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I would say almost 100%..but don't be to moto about "going to war". Every one of us Marines wants the opportunity to do our job but saying "I wanna go to war" sounds extremely ignorant. It is not all glam and glory out there.
    So you're saying there's a chance...

You want to go to war and do what?

Lets look at the numbers, there are roughly 20,000 Marines in Afghanistan and no Marine units in Iraq.

Considering that the current Administration hopes to have most combat troops out of Afghanistan by the end of next year. I would say your chances are slim to none for this current conflict.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Like i told the recruiter, I wanna go to War.
    What did he say?

War is God's way of teaching Americans about geography.....

War or peace....

Grunt....Wing....or Support

All Marines are needed...not only in war or conflict....don't rush things.

If you don't go to war...if the current wars are ceased....or new conflicts in the world arise..... you will have some mission that will always need the Marines.

Calculate and then recalculate your basic math skills to find the first day you ship to a MCRD then decipher if you will graduate and march across the grinder or not......and if your confidence brings you that far....worry about the SOI......or MOS school.

If you can get past those three and go to a fleet battalion as an 03XX MOS .......then cross that road when you come to it.

First and foremost become a Marine......then worry about the dogs of war!

We're not pulling out anytime soon and definitely not by next summer. Unless you end up in a unit that's going on a MEU, you'll probably end up in Afghanistan.
    This "war" isn't like the movies or Call of Duty, they ambush you, you shoot back and then they disappear or blow you up and you find nothing, no bodies, no weapons, just maybe some brass from an ak or pkm.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda

If you enlist now, or soon in the future I'm more than positive you will get your chance. That being said War is not like Call of Duty or the Movies. Granted I'm not a Combat Veteran, however my commonsense as a Marine. I can tell you its not glamorous, as other Marines have said on here, especially our Combat Veterans on here. Every Marine wants to do there job, and get to deploy. It is our obligation as Marines to get in the action, and do our jobs, and support our fellow Marines. I wanted to just as bad, as any other Marine, I unfortunately didn't get to go to Iraq during the Invasion in 03 with the rest of my Bn. Due to some Technical Admin BS on medical hold I was not allowed to deploy, and I had already gave the Marine Corps two good years. The farthest I got out of the states was on the USS Portland for about a month floating around of the coast of Florida, it was a fun time. It is what it is though, not a day I don't think about sitting on that flight line at Cherry Point North Carolinia watching the rest of my Unit Deploy to get some in Iraq. I often wonder what it would have been like to have been there. On that note I will say this much a Marine is a Marine regardless of Combat, or not. You do the job that you are ordered to do. You do it to the best of your ability, take honor in the fact that if you do make it into the Marine Corps you are one of The Few, The Elite, The Proud, The Marines. No one will ever be able to take that away from you. Best of Luck.

Thread Information