What would be a great Enlistment MOS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question What would be a great Enlistment MOS?

Hello Everyone,
    I was having some difficulty choosing an MOS. I took my ASVAB today only to find out that I had done better than I expected. My AFQT was a 73..... Here is a breakdown of my line scores. MM-116 GT-115 EL-113 CL-113. My biggest fear is ending up with a career that I'm not happy with and that will not get me anywhere in the future. I have a few friends that enlisted and it seems like they are just partying and having fun. I'm 24 years old and personally I'm not wanting to party and waste my time in the Marine Corp. What are some MOS's that some of you suggest or are currently doing? I was really interested in Aviation (not a pilot) part like electrician or Technician, but to be honest, there's so many MOS's that I have no idea what's ideal for me.... sorry if this seems like a dumb question... I just don't want to end up doing some crappy job thats going to get me nowhere. I love the idea of the schooling side and would love to earn a degree while in the Marines.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I wanted to personally thank everyone here for their time and advise.

Thanks

Undecided Future Marine

Aviation Mech is what im getting myself into. Its a job that I can use outside of the Corps and make good money, and alot of time off where I should be able to do quite a bit of college. Any job is a good job, its just what you make of it. My suggestion is just buck up and go for it.

I was Avaition Electronics specializing in the communications and navigation systems on the RF4B, EA6A, F4J, and TA4F aircraft. Your 'A' school is interesting and teaches you the basic of electronics and troubleshooting. I started out in OMA (line maintenance.... diagnosing the issue have pulling the bad assembly) and then went to IMA where I diagnosed the issue down to a board or component, repaired the part, tweaked up the final assembly and sent it back into service. There is a huge list of schools available that your seniors may send you to continue improving your abilities and capabilities. After EAS, I went back to university and changed my degree plan from finance to electrical engineering. Been doing the work ever since.

While the military electronics is relatively out of date when you compare it to the improvements in the civilian world.... you learn the basics and can build on that to achieve whatever goals you have for yourself.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    but to be honest, there's so many MOS's that I have no idea what's ideal for me....
    These Marines told you some good scoop....

However.... YOU and only YOU can make the decision on what MOS that you will want to live with for your time in the Marine Corps.

What may be ideal for Joe Smuckatelli may not fit into to your plans for now and the future.

Do a search on this site or a search engine and get the MOS list....narrow it down to something you want to do and will crossover to a civilian career and go from there....

Do cut yourself short....your scores were good.....but ALL Mose's can rollover into the civilian sector as a manager....some of major corporations.

It's not the MOS or the school training...it is the MARINE....man or woman behind the MOS....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Do NOT cut yourself short....your scores were good.....but ALL MOS's can rollover into the civilian sector as a manager....some of major corporations.

It's not the MOS or the school training...it is the MARINE....man or woman behind the MOS....

FIXED

Be a grunt and learn how to kill hajjis...that's defiantly transferable to the civilian world.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think im going to go for aviation electronics for the F/A18 ........i was even considering (if i get it) UAV operator.... I still have to do more research.

ur scores are good enough for Security forces thats my mos its awesome 0311 background fast company its bad ass

Quote Originally Posted by Oohrah Devildog View Post
    ur scores are good enough for Security forces thats my mos its awesome 0311 background fast company its bad ass
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I love it

Hmmm, you should still be in ITB..?

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    Hmmm, you should still be in ITB..?
    Funny, isn't it?

03...good for you, good for me. (;

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    Funny, isn't it?

I find it really funny. Talking like he's fleet 0311 and he's what, half way to ITB if that. That would be like me talking about Aviation Mech when I havn't even gone to MCT.

Relax ppl i was a week from grad in itb i shattered my hip. but i had the opportunity to go with one of my ITB instructors and watch the security forces riot training and anti terrorism training breaching ect its an exciting thing to watch and im a contract 03 SF so its pretty cool not trying to be a di** and say i did something i didn't not what i was trying to do just saying its a cool MOS and just an option the the kid can go for including presidential guard as well

Relax ppl i was a week from grad in itb i shattered my hip. but i had the opportunity to go with one of my ITB instructors and watch the security forces riot training and anti terrorism training breaching ect its an exciting thing to watch and im a contract 03 SF so its pretty cool not trying to be a di** and say i did something i didn't not what i was trying to do just saying its a cool MOS and just an option the the kid can go for including presidential guard as well
    Security Forces, post warriors rahhh

Thread Information