Looking for some serious advice about being an NCO - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Congrats on your promotion to CPL, BruceTheFootman!

Welcome to the ranks of NCO!

welcome to the team

you have joined the ranks of leadership.
    just remember that you are in good and bad company.
    do us all proud and follow the good examples.
    and if you ever have to sit in judgement of a lower rank. remember when you were there too.
    not aying to give em a pass. but just remember and when you made the bone head plays. and let that guide your actions.

Congrats!!!!!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    awesome thread and great read...thanks gents!

I too am looking right in the eyes of picking up Cpl. but as ya'll could imagine at a reserve unit finding a good NCO to emulate is hard to come by. Already believe I am a decent leader but I am more concerned with what kind of NCO I do not want to be...a crap one.

Congratulations on your promotion!

Start with the posts from DrZ and Sgt Lep, flesh it out with your own experiences and you've got a great start on what to teach your squad about leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by revleo View Post
    an old saying by a certain Chesty Puller.
    Remember that if you are the one in charge. To work harder than the troopers under you. And if you make a decision stick by it no matter the concequence. Never ever back track on a decision. In combat that can get troopers killed. So dont ever make get in the habit of it

I remember March 19, 1945 red headed Pfc G. C. Burke took over the leadership of our platoon. He listened to the men, but took full responsibility for his decision when he made it. Although we were down to less than a dozen men, he expected us to perform like a platoon with its 68 men. We did, and mostly because he made good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc987332 View Post
    I remember March 19, 1945 red headed Pfc G. C. Burke took over the leadership of our platoon. He listened to the men, but took full responsibility for his decision when he made it. Although we were down to less than a dozen men, he expected us to perform like a platoon with its 68 men. We did, and mostly because he made good decisions.
    Sorry, the date should March 16, not March 190

Congratulations Cpl. Be the leader we know you can be!

just dug out my old

dunks almanac. forgot how much good stuff was in there.
    if any new NCO needs one I can see if I can mail mine.
    never passed mine on. should have but didnt. so let me know if any one needs one.

The Wikipedia definition is quite sobering -- you have big shoes to fill and your men, senior NCOs, and your officers, depend on you for accomplishing the mission....

The non-commissioned officer corps is often referred to as "the backbone" of the armed services as the primary and most visible leaders for most military personnel. Additionally, they are the primary military leaders responsible for executing the military organization's mission and for training military personnel so they are prepared to execute their missions.

NCO training and education typically includes leadership and management as well as service specific and combat training.

Senior NCOs with their wealth of leadership, mission training and experience are considered the primary link between the bulk of the enlisted personnel and the officers in any military organization. Their advice and guidance is particularly important for junior officers, who begin their careers in a position of authority but generally lack practical experience.

Thread Information