New novel about Vietnam
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

New novel about Vietnam

Here's a link to a review in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch of a novel about the "Vietnam experience" written by a man who was a platoon commander in 1st Battalion, 4th Marines. The author's name is Karl Marlantes. Maybe some of you knew him then.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...5310fc4d8.html

The title of the book is "Matterhorn". I'm going to find me a copy tomorrow.

Its on my list.

The reviews for this book have been across the board good.

In the current issue of Vietnam Magazine there is a two page article/interview with Karl Marlantes about his book and the long journey it took to get it published. I believe I will also buy this book because I served during the same time with 2nd Platoon, Fox 2/1, albeit I was only a grunt, far from being an officer, especially a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, but I think I will know rather or not if this book is worthy of the praise that I anticipate it to receive. I remember that our Platoon Commanders , like our Corpsman, spent six months in the bush and six in the rear usually, so like all grunts, I was envious and like many, slightly indignant that those of us of lower rank seemed destined to be considered more expendable then those who led us or took care of us. Regardless, I am proud of my brothers, on and off the Wall.
    I also recommend the book Fields of Fire by James Webb.
    Semper Fi, Fox

Thread Information