Deployment Gear
Create Post

Thread: Deployment Gear

Deployment Gear

Deploying to the 'stan. I'm a rifleman. anyone have any suggestions for some good gear to buy before heading out?

Yep, the guys in your squad/plt that have deployed before.

You going 11.1? Its gonna be cold as ****, bring cold weather gear.

The goggles SCIF gives you are trash...maybe get some decent ones with anti-fog inserts.

Get a Recon sleeping bag (its a brand name). It compresses to the size of half a basketball. Its a little tight, but takes up waaaaaaay less room than the issued sleeping system.

Don't be a gear queer. The rest is personal preference...make you you bring some personal comfort items. And ask dudes that have been their before.

everyones been to Iraq, no one to the 'stan. We're reservists. be in country feb-march time frame. just got activated. I'm just looking for some kneepads and gloves, maybe some good socks to get. Using regular socks when we were in Bridgeport sucked balls.

Where is your work up? Going to LeJeune? If so check out Extreme Outfitters (you can prob talk them into giving you a 10% discount card) or T.A.G. Kneepads is a pretty mixed opinion on usefulness...some like em, some don't. I think you can get some issued at SCIF, but not sure. BlackHawk is a good brand but are made in Korea or someplace...if that's important. Spectre gear is US made, but I'm not as big a fan. There are a ton of gloves out there, some guys just go for the good ole Mechanix gloves you can get at Walmart...but people like Oakley and Wiley X make gloves with hard plastic protection. I'm getting ready to head to AF soon, and I think I'm gonna get those since AF is more kinetic than Iraq...I know guys who have had their hands more or less saved b/c of protective gloves.

Maybe get some good sunglasses. I'm a wiley X fan, most guys get Oakley's though...through US Standard Issue, you can get them for cheap. M frames are often issued.

Again, cold as ****, bring cold weather gear. The time you are going sucks, you'll have to pack for both hot and cold weather. Maybe find better bags to pack your gear; I've seen some sea bags with side loading zippers. Not sure where to get them, but I'm looking for them as Sea bags are garbage b/c the issued ones are only top loading. Aviator kit bags are popular but suck because you can overpack them easily and their handles suck.

Its decently cold but its not antartica, was there from december - may averaged around 40 at the coldest, during most days round 42-45, Recon 5 is good gear however my zipper broke about a week into it and me and the camel spiders started getting aqauinted?sp towards may. Try not to gear queer it up to much , Extreme has some cool drop pouches that dont get into the way when your not using them, also the base PX now sells the P-Mags cheaper than extreme so id consider getting yourself a set.

US Standard Issue, you can get all the Oakleys you ever dreamed of from deployment at about 50-60 % off what you pay in stores plus there blacked out without all the gay chrome. They also sell the oakley boots, the general consensus on boots though is Swats .... I used the Issued Cold Weather Danners for the whole deployment and had no problems until the liner ripped out towards the end, looking back shoulda bought a pair of swats.

heading to pendleton this time. Hopefully never have to set foot in lejeune again.

Don't wanna gear queer it up. Just get some stuff to make life a little better. I don't gotta be THAT miserable

Alright I'm goning to throw in my two cents.
    As far as gear on your flak, all you need is the mag pouches the issue, 7 mags are good, you won't need more than that unless your shooting at nothing. A camelback pouch or use the issued one and put it on your back. A pouch for random sh!t like NVGs or extra mags when you know your gonna need it that day. Mine also doubled as a drop pouch. You generally don't need more than that. I try to have the least amount if sh!t hanging al over the place as possible. I never wore eye pro so if you want some, that's on you. The issed frog gloves work, but wear out fast. I stoped using gloves about March when it warmed up. Again, that's on you if you want something else.
    Pmags suck fat cock. My unit issed use thwm and I ditched them and started to use the metal ones. After you use pmags enough the feed lips stretch out and rounds start falling out. Some of mine even cracked.

I was there from jan to august. At the beginning of moshtarak, we lived in holes in the desert. All I had was a poncho and poncho liner and people were droppong left and right from hypothermia. That was the coldest I've ever been in my life and I'm from New England. All you need is the issed green bag and bivvie sack and you'll never want to get out of it.bring your poncho liner and mabye another blanket and you'll be good. In the summer all I was speeping with was something to cover my face from the bugs and when it was a little cold, I coved myself with a poncho liner. As far as boot's bring an extra pair. Don't use the cold weather ones they give you. They suck and will fu*k your feet up. I used Danners and loved them. I went through two pairs of boots, jumping in canals for cover really messes your boots up. Buy what evers comfortable to you, you're walking in them.

Bring an ipod, you'll need it. Also bring an ipod charger, everyone seems to forget those. If you can, get a battery one and people wil be all on your d!ck haha.

Forgot something, the issued day pack is sh!t. I used one once and only once and it wasn't even mine. I had about 500 240 rounds and the extra barrel and the strap ripped on me. Good thing it wasn't mine haha. Plus, they're small and don't hold everything that I would have carried. People had so much sh!t on the outside it's not even funny...I lied it was ****ing hilarious haha.
    I used the camelback motherload pack that they sold at the px, worked good for me and held everything I carried with me. I still have it now and works good.

Back,

you talking about the Danner RATs that are being issued; do you give them a yay or nay?

Sometimes, if your company is cool, they'll use unit funds on gear. We got London Bridge patrol packs....way better than those issued deal (which I've never used..they ARE really terrible).

My friend and I are putting in a purchase order for an upcoming deployment; anyone have experience with heating/stove systems? There are several on our order list. I have a huge list of basically NSN's with nomenclature and its not telling me much. Pretty sure I don't need the ECW Happy Suits though, lol..

PMAGS and a nice 2point sling.

Camelback has some really nice carbon fiber knuckled gloves that look way better then the oakley SIs.

Smartwool socks.

A copy of ON COMBAT.

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Back,

you talking about the Danner RATs that are being issued; do you give them a yay or nay?

Sometimes, if your company is cool, they'll use unit funds on gear. We got London Bridge patrol packs....way better than those issued deal (which I've never used..they ARE really terrible).

My friend and I are putting in a purchase order for an upcoming deployment; anyone have experience with heating/stove systems? There are several on our order list. I have a huge list of basically NSN's with nomenclature and its not telling me much. Pretty sure I don't need the ECW Happy Suits though, lol..
    I used Danner jungles. I don't like the ones they issue since they're like an over to my feet and gave me really bad trench foot.

As far as the stove...C4 is what we used haha. But the het guy who was with us had one and it was pretty cool since it ran on jp8. They are a nice thing to have though.

And on socks, don't go wasting your money on expensive ones. I used just plain white tube socks and my parents put some in my care packages. Evey time they got hard and dirty all I did was burn them and put on a new pair.

I got sweaty feet and the expensive moisture wicking ones are kind of non-conducive to foot comfort. I, too, use the plain cotton brown socks from the PX. I also use white UnderArmor ligthweight socks. I would rather change out socks 2-3 times a day than have one pair of big, super thick $11 dolar pair.

Yeah, that's the stove I was talking about. There's also like a sideline heater type thing on the list, but I think I would **** some people off if we ordered those.

Thread Information