Barracks Life...and escaping it
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barracks Life...and escaping it

High my name is poolie Mclain. I leave for boot camp January 10, 2011. I am 26 and actually have my bachelors but decided to enlist vs officer because I want to go infantry and eventually perhaps become a mustang. At any rate the purpose of this thread is I am curious about Barracks life. At 26 I really don't feel like living with 18 year old kids. I know I will have to live in barracks for a while but I am curious how to escape the barracks life while living withing the system. Are there curfews?

As it stands, I have planned on renting either a studio apartment or air conditioned storage facility to use as a man cave while living within the barracks lifestyle. Why do I want this mancave you ask? Well I am a gun owner and actually feel very unsafe in a "gun free environment." When I mean gun owner I mean I could equip a fireteam of Marines right now and none would complain with the firearms they would receive with the exception of not having burst or full auto capability. I don't like being apart from my weapons but understand on base I am in a victim disarmament zone (if you disagree see Fort Hood). As well I would like to have a station set up for reloading (not putting ammo in mags but actually reusing casings, putting in new primers, powder, bullets, etc).

My desired mancave would also be a place where my videogaming would be done etc. Essentially a place where I could get away from it all. Essentially while being forced to live on base, how feasible is this? Also to the young Marines that see this thread, I mean no disrespect, I just am old enough were I don't feel like reliving college life military style. My goal is to be so moto I hit Corporal fast enough to get the priviledge of living off base. Heck, I don't even care about extra pay...I've just lived alone long enough...where while I will sacrifice that privilege as long as I have to...I want it back as quick as possible.

Thanks for reading my question. Also, thanks for your service Marines, you will never hear it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
    High my name is poolie Mclain. I leave for boot camp January 10, 2011. I am 26 and actually have my bachelors but decided to enlist vs officer because I want to go infantry and eventually perhaps become a mustang. At any rate the purpose of this thread is I am curious about Barracks life. At 26 I really don't feel like living with 18 year old kids. I know I will have to live in barracks for a while but I am curious how to escape the barracks life while living withing the system. Are there curfews?

As it stands, I have planned on renting either a studio apartment or air conditioned storage facility to use as a man cave while living within the barracks lifestyle. Why do I want this mancave you ask? Well I am a gun owner and actually feel very unsafe in a "gun free environment." When I mean gun owner I mean I could equip a fireteam of Marines right now and none would complain with the firearms they would receive with the exception of not having burst or full auto capability. I don't like being apart from my weapons but understand on base I am in a victim disarmament zone (if you disagree see Fort Hood). As well I would like to have a station set up for reloading (not putting ammo in mags but actually reusing casings, putting in new primers, powder, bullets, etc).

My desired mancave would also be a place where my videogaming would be done etc. Essentially a place where I could get away from it all. Essentially while being forced to live on base, how feasible is this? Also to the young Marines that see this thread, I mean no disrespect, I just am old enough were I don't feel like reliving college life military style. My goal is to be so moto I hit Corporal fast enough to get the priviledge of living off base. Heck, I don't even care about extra pay...I've just lived alone long enough...where while I will sacrifice that privilege as long as I have to...I want it back as quick as possible.

Thanks for reading my question. Also, thanks for your service Marines, you will never hear it enough.
    Ok dude just take it step by step. You will be in the barracks for a while and the rarely give Cpl in the Fleet off base housing anyways so for that your FUC%ED.Get used to having 18 and 19 year olds living with you asking BUY BEER BRO EST, and for the guns that sucks for you. Besides that Ft. Hood crap was some army nut case and if your worried about getting shot join the coast guard where they have less guns and shiz. so suck it up ... "SUCKS TO BE A BOOT"

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    even as a Cpl. and a Sgt. if you aren't married the chances of getting BAH to live off base by yourself are pretty low. You will have no say in your living arrangements especially in your first year or two as a PFC/Lance.

As far as your man cave thing you want to do, that really isn't a bad idea except for the weapons part. Depending on where you get stationed the gun laws in that state will differ and also the storage company may have a bit of an issue with keeping weapons and ordnance in one of their facilities. Also while I like the idea of a little hideaway I personally think that may be a waste of money, only time I would see you getting there would be on liberty weekends if you don't have duty.

Being 26 and a PFC/Lance is gonna be tough, you are gonna deal with others (kids) in your pay grade fresh out of HS and then have NCOs/SNCO's and officers around your same age and even younger telling you what to do. As long as you show them the respect they deserve, in my experience (being older also), they will show you the respect you want for your age and life experience. Its a two way street and keep communications wide open

You do realize that you'll only be taking in about $600 every two weeks. And you want to blow that on an apartment? Just so you can get away MAYBE once or twice a week? Does that make any financial sense?

How about you spend time with your fellow Marines? Get to know those who will be at your side when the **** hits the fan. Try to be a mentor to those kids. Demonstrate leadership and you may be selected to lead.

While 18-19 yr olds may be young...they aren't stupid. If you put it out in layman's English to "Leave you the f*ck alone", they will give you your space.

You want to live alone? Then why the hell are you joining the Marine Corps? Your life isn't yours anymore, if your so selfish that your trying to make things better for yourself than maybe you didn't make the right decision.

RAHH Sgt..

Quote Originally Posted by bbond007 View Post
    Ok dude just take it step by step. You will be in the barracks for a while and the rarely give Cpl in the Fleet off base housing anyways so for that your FUC%ED.Get used to having 18 and 19 year olds living with you asking BUY BEER BRO EST, and for the guns that sucks for you. Besides that Ft. Hood crap was some army nut case and if your worried about getting shot join the coast guard where they have less guns and shiz. so suck it up ... "SUCKS TO BE A BOOT"
    I can live with the on base housing, and I can live with having the kids asking me to buy them booze, but my main question is about curfews. I want to be able to have my mancave off base essentially. I just want to have a place to escape to daily after work, and am wondering if I can periodically crash on a theoretical couch I would have. And more importantly, dating...staying overnight, etc.

And yes, Fort Hood was an army nut case but that could have just as easily been a Marine nut case. MEPS can't screen out everybody no matter how hard they try. I just want a safe haven. A place off base where I can store my firearms, and have a private life. Is that possible?

I can live with the on base housing, and I can live with having the kids asking me to buy them booze, but my main question is about curfews. I want to be able to have my mancave off base essentially. I just want to have a place to escape to daily after work, and am wondering if I can periodically crash on a theoretical couch I would have. And more importantly, dating...staying overnight, etc.

And yes, Fort Hood was an army nut case but that could have just as easily been a Marine nut case. MEPS can't screen out everybody no matter how hard they try. I just want a safe haven. A place off base where I can store my firearms, and have a private life. Is that possible?
    Dude the Marine Corps isnt a Fu@.kn prison They dont lock you up and throw away the key seems like it but its not. You just suck it up and deal with it we get paid ****, go on OPS and come back and still have fun so suck it up go through the training and the bull sh!t.....If your so worried then join the army or be a squid.........Better yet ask your recruiter to have them issue you a man cave in your contract and a stress card at Boot camp

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    is it possible?....sure...is it probable or realistic?....$hit no!!

there really isn't a curfew but say in a normal work day you will be getting up at 0400 or 0500 and securing sometime around 1500-1700 or maybe later depending on what is being done. You are not going to have the time to be going off base and screwing around with some "man cave"

And again with the weapons, state and local laws will dictate what you can have and even then I don't think your going to be able to store them and ammunition in a storage unit.

If you are seriously questioning garbage like this you don't belong in the Marine Corps. You need to be prepared for every single minute of your life being scripted and lived for you.

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    You do realize that you'll only be taking in about $600 every two weeks. And you want to blow that on an apartment? Just so you can get away MAYBE once or twice a week? Does that make any financial sense?

How about you spend time with your fellow Marines? Get to know those who will be at your side when the **** hits the fan. Try to be a mentor to those kids. Demonstrate leadership and you may be selected to lead.

While 18-19 yr olds may be young...they aren't stupid. If you put it out in layman's English to "Leave you the f*ck alone", they will give you your space.

You want to live alone? Then why the hell are you joining the Marine Corps? Your life isn't yours anymore, if your so selfish that your trying to make things better for yourself than maybe you didn't make the right decision.
    I really appreciate this comment. I don't necessarily want a full blown apartment, just perhaps an air conditioned storage place or studio.

Believe me I am not saying 18 year olds are stupid and I am not necessarily feeling I need to completely live alone I just want to be able to have a little space of my own I can periodically escape to. Please understand, I understand my life is not longer my own, and I did not join to make life better, in fact I joined to go to the suck (I want infantry) so that I can better my country...I just want to be able to retain one little bit of privacy. A haven where I can enjoy my firearms, reload ammunition, maybe even be able to have the couch and tv available for the big game.
    As far as economic sense goes, I have my BA, I could have gone the officer route, I enlisted for the hard life its true, I just want to have my AR15s available to go to range on weekends...

A good point has been raised. Being a mentor, and leader. This is something I need the Marine Corps to teach me how to be. In the pool so far, everybody tells me how hard I work, how I am the hardest worker in the pool. I appreciate there remarks but I don't know how to lead. I've never been a leader. This is something I need to learn. I may be great at personal improvement, and I can give tips on what I have done, but while I have been able to lead horses to water, I have not been successful in getting them to drink.

Alright, so from the responses so far I am seeing that my dreams in general (okay no mancave) are a bit far-fetched. What can I do to still date and as well protect my firearms? I can sacrifice, but firearms are a HUGE part of my life. In fact, firearms are a major reason I decided I wanted to join the Marines.

I know I must sound very ignorant. I am not a Marine yet. I am still a civilian with much to learn about military life, but you can't blame me for wanting to just have a silver of civilian life and trying to finagle it. I plan on living a very hard life for the next decade of my life. I just want a small escape...and well I love women...I remember college...dating...

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you are infantry you will be around weapons on the daily and probably begin to hate your own issued one.

I would suggest locking up whatever you have with a trusted family member or something.

You will still have time to date and go out in town a few times a week. The Corps isn't a prison, as long as you aren't a $hitbag Marine,get your liberty secured, and get put on restriction you will have your own personal freedoms.

I really appreciate this comment. I don't necessarily want a full blown apartment, just perhaps an air conditioned storage place or studio.

Believe me I am not saying 18 year olds are stupid and I am not necessarily feeling I need to completely live alone I just want to be able to have a little space of my own I can periodically escape to. Please understand, I understand my life is not longer my own, and I did not join to make life better, in fact I joined to go to the suck (I want infantry) so that I can better my country...I just want to be able to retain one little bit of privacy. A haven where I can enjoy my firearms, reload ammunition, maybe even be able to have the couch and tv available for the big game.
    As far as economic sense goes, I have my BA, I could have gone the officer route, I enlisted for the hard life its true, I just want to have my AR15s available to go to range on weekends...

A good point has been raised. Being a mentor, and leader. This is something I need the Marine Corps to teach me how to be. In the pool so far, everybody tells me how hard I work, how I am the hardest worker in the pool. I appreciate there remarks but I don't know how to lead. I've never been a leader. This is something I need to learn. I may be great at personal improvement, and I can give tips on what I have done, but while I have been able to lead horses to water, I have not been successful in getting them to drink.
    The Marine Corps, in itself, doesn't really teach you to lead (it's my opinion that you can't really teach anyone to lead), but the Corps gives you the tools. What is important for a young Marine is take from his superiors and develop his own leadership style. There are PLENTY of examples in your day to day life in the Corps (both good and bad) to learn from. Take what you need and develop what works for you. That's one reason why there's a rank structure. For the junior Marines to develop those leadership qualities before they're in a position where they are critical.

As far as your initial question, it really depends on what MOS/OccField you're going into. Some have little free time and some are more 9-5 type jobs.

I can understand that weapons are you hobby and that you would want time away in order to pursue that. It just so happens you picked one of the most difficult ones to have as a single Marine in a barracks.

If your adamant about continuing while your in service I recommend googling "gun clubs" in the different Areas. They may offer you the ability to store your guns as well as give you a work space for reloading ammo. I'm sure you're not the first person to inquire about this.

Also it may be possible to become friends with a married Marine and he'll store your guns for you. One caveat to that is you may find yourself without a place to store if something happens to that guy. Happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.

He was storing a weapon with a friend, they got divorced. So my friend had to keep the weapon in his room for 3 days before he could drive home and drop it off. 2 days later "Health and comfort" inspection. They found the gun and charged him.

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    I can understand that weapons are you hobby and that you would want time away in order to pursue that. It just so happens you picked one of the most difficult ones to have as a single Marine in a barracks.

If your adamant about continuing while your in service I recommend googling "gun clubs" in the different Areas. They may offer you the ability to store your guns as well as give you a work space for reloading ammo. I'm sure you're not the first person to inquire about this.

Also it may be possible to become friends with a married Marine and he'll store your guns for you. One caveat to that is you may find yourself without a place to store if something happens to that guy. Happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.

He was storing a weapon with a friend, they got divorced. So my friend had to keep the weapon in his room for 3 days before he could drive home and drop it off. 2 days later "Health and comfort" inspection. They found the gun and charged him.
    There used to be the option (not the most ideal for anyone) of registering said weapon/s on base and storing it in the armory. Is that not an option any longer?

Quote Originally Posted by MSgtSki View Post
    There used to be the option (not the most ideal for anyone) of registering said weapon/s on base and storing it in the armory. Is that not an option any longer?

It's funny you mention that because yes that is an option.

My friend's weapon was a limited edition nickle plated revolver (or similar). He didn't want it stored in the Armory because there were rumors that Armory techs mess with personal owned weapons (the ****bag ones anyways).

Well the weapon was confiscated and stored in the armory during his NJP. When he got it back a few weeks later it was scratched to all hell and the front sight was bent. As if someone was playing "Old West" and dropped it. Thereby proving my friend's earlier concerns of putting it in the armory.

Thread Information