MSG School
Create Post

Thread: MSG School

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MSG School

Hello all,

I'm looking to join up as an 02xx on a standard 4 year contract, and I'm especially interested in embassy duty with the MCESG.

I've browsed through their site, and read articles on MSG here (this article was especially helpful: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ighlight=mcesg ), but I was hoping to get some feedback from actual Marines to make sure my understanding is on point and expectations fit with reality.

My understanding is that while the 18 month TOS requirement is waiverable if there is need, and although MSG school is open to PFC's, they generally only take CPL's or squared away LCPL's. Is there any chance I'd be able to request to attend MSG school immediately after completing intel school, or would they likely just laugh in my face? I'm 25 with a BS degree--not looking for or expecting any special treatment, but just wondering if that'd help with a "squared away" impression and therefore selection?

Assuming I'm likely going to have to wait those 18 months and then some, I won't have enough time left on my contract for the 3 12-month tours. How easy would it be to get an extension on my contract so I could do it? Would it be better to just go ahead and enlist on a 5 year contract? Last but not least, any idea on how long I could be waiting before going to MSG school?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

No...Those PFCs who make it are generally one in a million shots.

You generally need at least 2 years at your first duty station or a 6mo deployment under your belt before the evaluators will even consider you. However you can go to the screening whenever you want. I went to the screening at my 1 yr mark. They told me they would hold me a school slot after my next deployment. I went to the screening in Sept '96 and got my school slot that day for Jan '98. Think about it, the Marine Corps is not going to spend all that money training you and then just let you run off to a B-billet. You have to do your time first.

As for your remaining time, you will be allowed to extend. I believe it's up to 2 years. I extended for 13 months.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the answer. Beyond my general ignorance, the fact that this is a b-billet yet "open" to PFC's was making things fuzzy for me.

Good to know about the extension though. I'll plan to put in my time while keeping my eye on this for the future. Thanks again.

Thread Information