Feel like I am too small
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feel like I am too small

I have just recently been swore into the Marines. While I am currently in DEP, and don't ship out till March, I am getting worried about how small of a guy I am. When I went to swear in, I couldn't help but notice that everyone around me has probably 50 lbs on me.

I am naturally a small guy, I am 5'9'' and weigh 140ish. My father is telling me that I need to bulk up, and put on at least another 40 pounds before I ehad off to boot camp. He has even offered to get me a personal trainer, so that I can be more a "lean, mean, fighting machine"(his words).

Anyway, I think that this is a waste of time on his part. I am happy with my size, and am not worried about the fact that I have small girlish wrists, or that I am a smaller guy. My recruiter isn't even all that big.

I just want to know if it will make that big of a difference going into the Marine Corp as small as I am?

We had many smaller guys who graduated boot back in the late 60s. I have seen many of my neighbor's children who went to boot...who I classified as smaller men...but as they did in the late 60s.... they came back between 30 - 50 pounds heavier. Put your mind and heart in the exercises and you will pack on the muscle.

The real question is.... how are you doing on the initial tests the Recruiter has you do?

Either way...good luck.

I can do 8 or so pull ups, around 50 crunches, but when it comes to running I suck it up. I have worked in a smokey environment for pretty much my entire life, and also smoke, so my lung capacity is ****. I am doing my best to improve that, but I just know it will take time.

I am just glad to know that I am not crazy for looking at the fact that I am smaller than most of the other guys and not being worried about it.

Will be totally honest here. Quit the smoking ASAP. It is frowned on damn near everywhere these days and it plays hell on your running. Keep working out get your numbers up for your pull ups and crunches and your run time down as much as possible. Focus on your reps and build your strength. The DIs will still make it tough but being in shape just makes it slightly easier.

Please continue to post and let us know how things are going.

My nephew is about 5'8" - 5'9", weighed a bit less than you do, and he did just fine during boot camp.

You'll be fine, don't worry about it. Just do your best!

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Will be totally honest here. Quit the smoking ASAP. It is frowned on damn near everywhere these days and it plays hell on your running. Keep working out get your numbers up for your pull ups and crunches and your run time down as much as possible. Focus on your reps and build your strength. The DIs will still make it tough but being in shape just makes it slightly easier.

Please continue to post and let us know how things are going.
    I have mostly quit smoking. Going from a full pack a day, to where now I just smoke about two or three over the day. The things coming from my lungs make me want to quit even more.

I have started following some of the pull up work outs listed on the forums here. The recruiter office I go to has a program where they get all the poolees and work out together. They do CrossFit, and formation running. the CrossFit is pretty tough right now, but my recruiter says it will get easier as you get in better shape.

I was 5'10 and 145lbs when I left for boot camp many years ago. And now I sit at a comfortable 170.

I made it through bootcamp fine. If you do want to "bulk up" make sure you do it with lean meats, chicken breast, fruits and vegetables. You may also want to throw in a protein shake once or twice a day.

Ha, seeing things like this make me laugh...

I was 5'4, weighed 106 when I went to boot (almost 2 years ago, now I'm 5'4 120). Boot camp will be harder, but it's all of what you make it, and you might be "picked on" more. One of my DI's was also small (probably 5'6, 130 or so) and he pushed me harder because I was the smallest one in my platoon. I was also naturally the house mouse.

I made a point to stick out when I felt it was necessary, the biggest thing is to NEVER QUIT. Short legs suck on those long humps, and the packs literally weighed 15lbs lighter than I did, but I never quit. We had a ~5'8, 210lb high school football player complaining about how heavy the packs were and I wanted to kick his ass.

I'll tell you now, boot camp isn't about physical strength, it's about mental strength. During puggle sticks there was never anyone close to my weight, probably 130 was the closest. I got knocked out BAD on the bridge but kept getting up and kept trying. That's all they really want is the heart, you have to show them how much you wan't to be a Marine. My DI made me carry people (200lb kid, kidding me?) during the crucible, or other things like ammo cans, water, etc. All while more capable "bigger" recruits could have done it easily. It's all about the heart.

I was 5'7" and 138 lbs of maggotry when I went to boot camp and my size didn't inhibit my ability to become a lean-mean, fighting machine. (; As was previously mentioned, it depends on how much heart you have, and a willingness to never quit.

I'm no longer lean, but I'm still mean...

I was 5' 9" tall and weighed 135 lbs during boot camp and got out of the service six years later weighing 165.It is all what you make of it.

That hat is too big for your head, squishy!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You may become the house mouse, but you will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bionicpope View Post
    House mouse?
    The house mouse is basically the gopher for the DIs. On top of the standard training and cleaning.... you will clean the DIs area. It is my understanding that these days there are often two assigned so the DIs do not have to worry about you snagging any of their stuff.

You don't really get anything special for being the house mouse.... but the DI will remember your name so don't screw up!

Thread Information