Possible to get a Commission after college without ROTC?
Create Post

Possible to get a Commission after college without ROTC?

Howdy everyone. This is my first post, so please excuse me if I sound misinformed. A friend of mine from high school who's in the Marines referred me to this site, as did my Grandpa, who also served as a Marine during the Korean War, and they both tell me its really informative.

Basically, I'm a Senior at Sul Ross State way out here in the middle of West Texas. I will be graduating in May with a Bachelor of Science in Geology with a minor in Political Science. I know its a weird combination, but figured Geology was appropriate being from up in the Panhandle, where its nothing but oil and gas fields, figured a degree in that might come in handy. The only other experience I really have is working on a cattle ranch back home in the Panhandle. I've been seriously looking into a career in the military when I graduate. Unfortunately, my university doesn't offer any ROTC programs for any branch of the service. So, I know I would have to go through other options to earn a commission.

One day, I drove to Amarillo to talk to a Marine recruiter when I went back home up to the Panhandle over the Summer Break recently to try and talk to him about possibly getting a commission from the Corps when I graduate. He told me straight out that there was nothing he could do for me since his office only recruits people who are going in as Enlisted , and just told me I would have go talk in person to a Marine Corps office in Houston, (he claimed they are the only ones who could help me since they deal with Officer recruiting). I really have a feeling he felt I was wasting his time. Plus, Houston is an 11 hour drive from here one way, and its not like I can drive that and back in one day. It kind of discouraged me for a while. Anyway, I went on the Marines' website and browsed through it, and I got quite a bit of information. I just can't believe for a state as big as Texas, there is only one officer recruiter location in the whole state though, I mean El Paso or Dallas are closer to me than Houston.

I know there isn't a whole lot of jobs, if any, in the Corps (or any of the other Services for that matter) that you can do with a Geology degree. But I figure since I also have a background in Political Science, as well as the fact my grades have always been good and I've taken a few Arabic language classes in school, could maybe help and be of more use to the Marines. I was looking at maybe the Intelligence field. The only other serious job offer I've received is as a Geologist for Shell Oil at their offices in Odessa, which is ok, but does not exactly make me feel like I'm making a difference or helping my country or anything. I know its probably a long shot of the Corps giving me a Commission, but its just something I would really like to do and maybe make a difference for once. Figured somebody here might have few suggestions. Well, I better close this. Thanks.

Blake

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You can apply for OCC, Officers Candidate Course which is 10 weeks long and help 3 times a year. Its strictly for people with a Bachelors degree. It achieves the same end goal of earning you a commission just like ROTC and sending you to TBS right after you go through the 10 week program.

The Marine Corps reall doesnt care what your major is. Their unique in that you dont need any type of specific degree for any type of job much like the Navy/Air Force is leaning towards now a days.

Best advice, contacty your nearest OSO and get the ball rolling. Just explain your situation and they can explain the process further.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Aramil View Post
    You can apply for OCC, Officers Candidate Course which is 10 weeks long and help 3 times a year. Its strictly for people with a Bachelors degree. It achieves the same end goal of earning you a commission just like ROTC and sending you to TBS right after you go through the 10 week program.

The Marine Corps reall doesnt care what your major is. Their unique in that you dont need any type of specific degree for any type of job much like the Navy/Air Force is leaning towards now a days.

Best advice, contacty your nearest OSO and get the ball rolling. Just explain your situation and they can explain the process further.

Good luck
    Thanks man, I will definitely keep that in mind and try and get things going a little.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    An OSO will be able to answer all of your questions. If you attain a ground contract and an OCS slot, MOS selection will not be until near the end of TBS and it will have more to do with class standing and the needs of the Marine Corps (not your degree). At least for my fiance having a strong science and math background really helped with certain aspects of his training (think navigation). By the way, him and I both have our degrees in geology! Best of luck.

Thread Information