USMC Trivia
Create Post

Thread: USMC Trivia

USMC Trivia

I've been searching all over the site and I can't find thread dedicated unique Marine Corps knowledge/history that's good for Poolee's to memorize.

I wanted to start this thread because every Tuesday/Thursday after PT, the recruiters at RSS Lincoln will get us in a "Knowledge Line" and ask each individual knowledge questions. If you'be been there longer they'll ask harder and harder ones.

So, if any other Poolees wanted to just throw out some good Marine Corps trivia I think it'd be a pretty good idea.

Here's an easy one to start it off:

Who was the first woman Marine?

Lucy Brewer according to Google Search.

I searched it myself and I saw that the first result showed that Lucy Brewer as the first woman in the Marines, but it appears that Opha Mae Johnson is officially credited as the first woman Marine. Agreed?

http://www.womenmarines.org/wm_histo...ookieSupport=1

Next Question, unless someone else wants to ask...

How many lateral lines are displayed on the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and what does the number represent?

It's Opha Mae Johnson, 1918.

All of this crap will be beat into your skull in boot camp. While it's commendable to try and learn knowledge now, most of the crap your recruiters are trying to teach you at pool functions isn't going to help you in boot camp.

You should focus on things like dates, battles, etc if you plan on studying anything.

Better yet, just focus on getting in shape, and learning how to drill, so when you're marching during forming phase in your little go fasters and your glo straps you aren't the idiot with his arms swinging with his legs or the one who can't even stay in step.

What would you say are the most important battle/dates to remember then?

Obviously, Marine Corps Birthday, Flag raising, first amphibious assault, and such.

What others would be good to work on?

B-Day of the Marine Corps: 10 November, 1775
    Birthplace: Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA
    Grand Old Man of the Marine Corps: Archibald Henderson, he served 38 years.
    2 Marines 2 Medals: Dan Daly and Smetly Butler
    First Amphibious Assault: New Providence Bahamas
    First Amphibious Landing: Guadalcanal
    77 Day siege: Khe San
    House to House, Street to Street: Hue City (pro. way)
    3 Developments of the Korean War: Thermal Boots, Flak Jackets, Vertical Envelopment
    Father of Marine Aviation: Lt. A.A.Cunningham
    5 Major Battles of WWII: Bogersville, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Okinawa, Tarwa
    Mission of the Marine Corps Rifle Squad: To locate, close with and destroy the enemy, by fire and maneuver, or to repel the enemies assault, by fire and close combat.

That's just crap I can remember off the top of my head without really thinking about it much. All of that is first phase test knowledge.

Thread Information