The Crucible
Create Post

Thread: The Crucible

marine2be
    Guest Free Member

Question The Crucible

I'm a poolee and my ship date is 20040705 and I had a friend go through recruit training and got back friday September 19,2003 and he claims that the crucible is not as hard as everyone makes it out to be, just listen to the drill instuctors and it will just be a very long hump. Is this true or is he just a very very motivated marine at this point? If it helps he went to MCRD Parris Island

USMC DD
    Guest Free Member
    i think that it will be hard but if you have the determination to you can make it, to me i think it is all mindset.

Registered User Free Member usmc_peters2002's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Well your shipping out on my birthday, congratulations. NOW STICK WITH IT!!! Do not give up. Like lance corporal Shaffer said that was told to you by hindsight. Very wise words. I would listen to lance corporal Shaffer because i've read some of his replies and what i've seen are very intellegent replies. Boot camp is not easy and once you earn that title Marine it is the most unexplainable feeling of pride you can have. Especially standing in front of your family with your platoon after all they hell you just went through. Now, don't get me wrong it's not to boot then graduate in a snap. This is gonna take a long time and a LOT of hard work and dedication out of yourself. In a way it is a mind set. You set your mind that your NOT going to give up and that you ARE going to earn that title Marine no matter what it takes, then you have what it takes. Good luck to you and Semper Fi.

And by the way, only because none of my three brothers mentioned it, Marine is always capitalized. Now good luck, and keep pluggin...you'll get there. It's all mindset and desire.

Registered User Free Member Cement03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    hey marine2be who was your friend? find out what platoon he was in. yes if you listen the reaper is just one big hump but the crucible is filled with all sorts of obstacle courses and movement courses so find out what he meant by that. tell him you have somebody from 2003 who would beg to differ.

What were the different courses like? How hard was it to still function as a team even when you were hungry and tired?

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Marine2be and Caesar- If you haven't already, you should check out the book, 'Into the Crucible.' It's all about-you guessed it-the Crucible and what you go through. Good book.

Credits
    Savings
    Ah, the Crucible, I personally have been through seven of them. The first was when I was going through as a Drill Instructor student and the rest were when I was instructing my recruits on the rigors of combat and sleep deprovation. The Crucibles, that I wnet through, were great because I had the opportunity to see from both sides of the wall. It was motivating to see the recruits, after I had pushed them to the point of sheer exhaustion, come together and solve the problems at their assigned stations. As far as the Crucible being hard, Hell yes, it's going to be hard but it's going to help you later on in your Marine Corps future and Civilian life. When everyone else is down and dog tired you will still have that burst of energy, Espirit de Corps. So, expect it to be muscle exhausting and brain draining difficult but always remember the reward at the end, the title,"United States Marine".

Motivating thought.
    Think about all the men and women who stepped in the yellow footsteps before you and went on to become Marines. Old salts that fought at the Chosin, Guadalcanal and Hue. Many of them did not come home. When you're at PI or San Diego think of them. Think of the Marines that you know and make them proud.

Mindset is the key. Your Drill Instructors want to see you succeed. Don't get me wrong, they will push you like you've never been pushed before. Your muscels will burn and you will be tired. Don't lose heart and don't give up. Help and motivate the other recruits in your platoon.

I don't mean to harp on this, but you're young about to begin a wonderful adventure. Just remember those who came before you and Cherish the moment you are first called Marine.

Yea I read the book into the crucible. Its good but Making of the Corps is the best book I've found even though it doesnt go over the crucible. Thx sender and Wahrmund!

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    As my old Drill Instructor use to repeat and repeat:

"Pi$$ Poor Planning Results in Pi$$ Poor Performance"

You will be given all that is required to perform well in the Crucible. It is up to the individual to use the tools given. If I, someone who never had any pt before boot, other than lift the beer mug to my sweet righteous lips, can do it, so can anyone else.

Keep your eyes on the prize. The Title says it all.

semper fi,
    jchristin

Thread Information