Going Open Contract To Get Infantry
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going Open Contract To Get Infantry

So i have been wanting to get an 03- MOS since i walked into the recruiting station a year and a half ago, now i am set to leave for bootcamp on sept. 13 this year and my only shot at an infantry MOS is if i go as an open contract. Originally i was set to go as a combat engineer because infantry was 150 percent full, but we recently got a new boss at our recruiting station "Gunnery Sgt. Blanco" and he said that i could possibly get infantry if i sign as an open contract and request it when i go to boot camp. I know it is a 50/50 shot that i could get it and he didnt bull **** me about that, but he also says that most people who request it and have good physicall scores end up getting it. Now my question is, is this a legit way i could earn an 03-MOS, and as an open contract am i able to get any signing bonuses, and last if i dont get infantry am i able to request another MOS??

Don't do it just wait and get what you want. If you go open you'll be stuck in an mos that no one picks and it probably won't be something you would enjoy doing.

Either get the 03 contract or get ready to do something else,As you said Infantry is way overfull right now.Open contract is a good way to play the lottery with the next 4 years of your life.You may get a desirable MOS or you may not be happy at all and hate life for 4 years.Supposedly in the next year or so we are done in the middle east,So you may want to look into an MOS that will benefit you when you get out.Infantry is a pretty limited range of transfer when it comes to civilian job skills.

Lotto. Not good when looking at career choices.

Credits
    Savings
    Does the word 'possibly' not mean anything to you, or raise a red flag?

You used it, not me.

ok thanks for the input, now just curious if you have like a 60 average asvab score, and you can do 20 pull ups, 100 crunches, and run a mile in 10 min. would they put you as a cook or some other crap job like that? or do they utilize your skills and put you in something that your qualified for?

Needs of the corp, If you dont get it in writing it wont happen with all mos and boat spaces full you go open contract its all where they need you.

do you know of any way that if u are in boot camp you can request the MOS u want, and earn it? Could you take someone's place who has a contract but doesn't qualify??

There is no way to earn an MOS. I know people who went open contract with hopes of getting a certain MOS and it never worked out. If you go to boot camp with an open contract you will in no way get a choice, not even a wish list. Your MOS will be random. You could get cook, supply, engineer, comm. Whatever the Corps. needs a body for. Do not go to boot camp until you have the MOS you want. The MOS you are in will be the difference in hating the Corps and loving it. Recruiters are like car salesmen they usually tell you the truth but word it in a manner that makes you more optimistic. Wait until you get what you want.

ok thanks for the input, now just curious if you have like a 60 average asvab score, and you can do 20 pull ups, 100 crunches, and run a mile in 10 min. would they put you as a cook or some other crap job like that? or do they utilize your skills and put you in something that your qualified for?
    I scored a 99 on the ASVAB with a 145 GT, have never run less than a 250 PFT, and I am a cook.
    Does that answer your question?

yeah, they will not take anything into consideration. The recruiter will tell you what you want to hear. He will probably tell you that you could get infantry with an open contract, this is not true. If you want infantry wait to sign a contract. The new fiscal year starts in October this means all the boat spaces renew. So tell your recruiter you wont leave until you get that contract and if he cant pull one now he can in October. I had to use this method to get the contract i wanted and it worked. Problem for me is i was going to for intel and i didnt get my T.S. so after that i pretty much had an open contract. I had a wish list which i got my last wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    I scored a 99 on the ASVAB with a 145 GT, have never run less than a 250 PFT, and I am a cook.
    Listen to Beltayn, he speaks the truth. It doesn't matter what your scores are, you are put where the Corps wants you according to it's needs at the time of enlistment. There are many factors that play into it. Recruiters can be b@stards at times. They will lie to your face and tell you anything they can to get you to enlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    Holy Crap, Beltan, is that the best you have after he called being a cook a crap job?

Listen here, kid. There are no "crap jobs" in the Corps. Absolutely every MOS/job is critical and essential to complete the mission whether it's on the front lines or in the rear.

You want to be an 03? Who in the hell do you think feeds them, makes sure they get paid, ensures they have supplies, provides transportation, etc. Get the picture yet?

So I would be very careful what you consider a crap job because those of us in "crap" jobs can seriously f*uck up your life.

allright yeah that about answers it, thanks.

I respect what everyone in the Corps does which is why i am compelled to join, it is what i'm meant to do, ive been waiting almost two years to go to boot camp and im as motivated as the first day i walked in the recruiters office. I did not mean to disrespect those who have actually been there and obviously know more than me. Im sorry if i have disrespected anyone in the Corps, im a lil frustrated that i have to ask the same damn questions cause my recuiter wont be straight up with me, but thanks for all the input its helped me from doin somthing that i might have regret. Thanks.

I don't really feel compelled to defend my MOS.
    If and when he finds himself dirty and dog-tired in the rain in that field environment as a big bad infantry Marine, he'll come to appreciate what I do all on his own when my HMMWV shows up with hot chow.

Thread Information