Question about reserves. Need advice ASAP
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about reserves. Need advice ASAP

When my recruiter asked me what I wanted to do, I told him I wanted infantry. He then asks when I would be ready to leave, so I told him as soon as there's a seat open for me. Here's where it gets a bit tricky...

He says I can leave the first week of July on a 4 year infantry contract which also comes with a sweet bonus. The problem is, it's a reserve contract and that is not something I have any interest in on any level. He reassures me that when I get back and check into my unit to come see him and then he will activate me.

Now I am aware that there is such thing as active reserves, but he's saying full blown active duty enlisted. The office is closed, and I'm going into MEPS Tuesday do finish everything up. Any thoughts of what may be going on here? Is this some "green weenie" action getting ready to go down? I appreciate your time, thanks Marines.

I forgot to add that I'll be 28 in October, so there's the time frame as well. That's right, I said 28 and "infantry contract."

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Whatever, what how,,,,I guess if you can get in at your age,,, Do it.

I'm definitely going in. That is not the issue, it's this whole reserve thing.

Sounds like it's 'take it or leave it'. Plenty of chances to go 'active reserve' and such.

Beggars cannot be choosers at your point in time...

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    It is not as easy as your recruiter is making it out to be, especially considering once you ship off to boot and graduate it is not up to him to "activate" you. You have to put in a request to your unit/CO to be released in order to go active and then you still have to get re-contracted after that point which can take some work considering the Corps is pretty much full.

But like the other Marines have said at the age of 28 you should be lucky that a recruiter is even entertaining the idea of getting you in. Look on the plus side also, as a reservist you can actually have the possibility of deploying more than active duty.

Marine Free Member 2ndLAADBnWRENCH's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I would see other stations outside his area even taking time to travel... As for the verbal promises see contract n only contract in writing and like the other Marine said. You have to get released from Unit n jump through hoops for reserve Commander etc to go do anything else...

That's what I was thinking, that it just could possibly not be that easy as "being activated." Thanks for the info. Say I do end up getting released and cleared to go active, does that mean I could possibly be reassigned another MOS?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirtGunner247 View Post
    That's what I was thinking, that it just could possibly not be that easy as "being activated." Thanks for the info. Say I do end up getting released and cleared to go active, does that mean I could possibly be reassigned another MOS?
    Yes it is possible but more than likely being that you would be infantry you would stick with the 03xx field. I am not sure how infantry works with switching specific jobs like 0311 to 0331 or 0351.

That's good to know and is actually quite reassuring for what it's worth. The more info I have, the better I will be able to adapt my plans to the current situation. Time isn't on my side at the moment, and I'm just trying to make the best of it so that I can still serve in the Corps and make the most out of my time in. Once again, I appreciate all the help Marines. Enjoy the weekend.

I'll tell you right now that if you go reserves, good luck switching to active. It's difficult and NOT up to your recruiter like Josephd said.

On the flip side...you would still get some training and whatnot, but it's something YOU can only decide. Active Duty is WAY different than the reserves, in every way. You might hate the reserves, you might love the reserves, but it sounds like this MIGHT really be your only option since you're so old and want infantry.

I know the age thing is a big factor, but one recruiter told me that I could get in all the way up to my 29th birth day. There was a HUGE change in personnel at my RS recently, and my new recruiter said that it's 28 on the button. I think they were willing to let me go because at my age I still don't require any waivers and I'm in better shape than most kids that come into that office. It's shocking that young people at that age can get themselves into that much trouble or be that out of shape! He also told me that I had been the first person in quite some time that didn't expect to get into Recon straight outta boot...

LOL. Hang around here enough and you'll see that (the recon thing) as well. I'd say it's worth it if nothing else to get your foot in the door. I know a MSgt who retired recently, who was Force Recon...and a reservist for almost all of his 20 years. He spent more time on AD deployments than most AD Marines ever will (Put it this way, he has TWO Silver stars on his Sea Service Deployment Ribbon).

You are going to have to work for it, but l would take what I could.

If you don't take it, what other options or ship dates has he given you?

I was told that it would be October at the earliest when the new infantry jobs open up, or that I could select another MOS and that would put me out around October as well. I don't mind waiting if that's what needs to be done. It's just the age thing that gets me. My last recruiter said up until the day of my 29th birthday I should be g2g as long as I don't get injured and stay out of trouble. My new recruiter is saying once I hit 28, that's it... I guess if push comes to shove, I can always buy a plane ticket over to A-stan, grab a pistol and a 40in. sword and go to work, right?

Thread Information