OCS or Enlisted?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OCS or Enlisted?

i have recently graduated from UNCW and have an interview scheduled in september for OCS in january. i am wondering if i should just go ahead and Enlist and QuickShip so i can leave sooner, or should i just follow through with Officer Candidate School? i want to be the best, and serve within MARSOC or something similar. And i would like to work from the very bottom, but at the same time i would love to be lead my fellow brothers to be the best at whatever we are supposed to do. i just don't know what i should do... though i am feeling Marine Corps Officer. what do you all think?

Look at the pay charts for officer and enlisted over the next 20 years. Also as a 2nd Lt you will be starting from the bottom
    Good luck in whatever you decide

Nothing wrong with either route. There are good and bad officers and enlisted alike, with varying degrees of education. I'd do your research and go from there.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Wtfay?

Credits
    Savings

My Opinion

If it were me ? I would go the OCS route. Myself and two others in boot,were tested and the SDI Called us to center squadbay, and said that we ( I think it was 2 or 3 of us ) were deemed officer material from the testing. The catch was that I didn't have college and would have to extend for four more years to qualify after boot.well being in boot,I had different thoughts than after boot. To this day I think I should have gone the OCS route. With your education,it would be advantages to persue the officer Ranks. Even after the service, It should look mighty fine on a resume. Moz 68-70 USMC

Credits
    Savings

On second thought

Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    If it were me ? I would go the OCS route. Myself and two others in boot,were tested and the SDI Called us to center squadbay, and said that we ( I think it was 2 or 3 of us ) were deemed officer material from the testing. The catch was that I didn't have college and would have to extend for four more years to qualify after boot.well being in boot,I had different thoughts than after boot. To this day I think I should have gone the OCS route. With your education,it would be advantages to persue the officer Ranks. Even after the service, It should look mighty fine on a resume. Moz 68-70 USMC
    It just hit me ! Maybe he was saying we would make good cannon fodder ? LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by kman311 View Post
    Look at the pay charts for officer and enlisted over the next 20 years. Also as a 2nd Lt you will be starting from the bottom
    Good luck in whatever you decide
    yeah you are exactly right, and that is a big deal with being an officer -- i can pay off my student loans in the first year and still have some extra money, and then after four years i'll have a decent amount saved up, but if i love it--which more than likely i will; maybe not, but i think so--i can just stay in and retire after twenty years and be set for the rest of my life and work in the civilian sector contributing back to what i've taken out. but then again, it's not all about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    Nothing wrong with either route. There are good and bad officers and enlisted alike, with varying degrees of education. I'd do your research and go from there.

Mike

i love how you said that, and that is exactly what i wish to do... be the BEST officer there has been. be a TRUE leader, a TRUE man, just as our fore fathers were. i want to TRULY LEAD FROM THE FRONT! i want to be the FIRST to breach rooms, i want to be the FIRST to hit the ground; and if Christ is willing, i want to be the FIRST--not really, because SO MANY have died before me, for MY ****TY SELF--to die. i heard that Israeli Officers are ALWAYS the first to go through the door -- i want to do that.

yeah and that is why i want to use my degree/debt -- but then i would like to work from the VERY BOTTOM and get selected to go into OCS... but i don't know, i think i'm just gonna stick with OCS right now unless Christ reveals something else to me and lets me enlist.

Quote Originally Posted by IVIanOnTheIVIov View Post
    Go officer.
    haha so simple, yet so effective. i definitely think i'm gonna go officer.

Credits
    Savings

Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by cannakis View Post
    yeah and that is why i want to use my degree/debt -- but then i would like to work from the VERY BOTTOM and get selected to go into OCS... but i don't know, i think i'm just gonna stick with OCS right now unless Christ reveals something else to me and lets me enlist.
    Yes ! Prayer would be a good place for advice . Definitely

Yes ! Prayer would be a good place for advice . Definitely
    haha, this seems a bit sarcastic? but you are right, regardless, i just got to take each day at hand and ask for Christ to guide me; as He guides all of us. thanks brother if you're serious; and if you're not, haha thanks anyways because you still spoke the Truth regardless.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am going to go a different direction on you...

If you wanna lead form the front doing all this high speed stuff and getting your hands dirty with your Marines I would suggest going enlisted and become a locked on NCO. As a 2nd/1st Lt. you will have the opportunity to be a leader of your Marines but it is not as direct of a role as being an NCO. And its cool that you wanna kick doors in and such but as a Plt. Commander that is not your role(that is not to say you won't get the opportunity).

I was to go to OCS a few years back and I would have been a 1st. Lt. by now. I see the job that a few good friends of mine are doing as 1st. Lts and now that I am enlisted I am glad I chose to be and would personally rather be a good NCO and hopefully a SNCO than an officer. I want the opportunity to lead and mentor my Marines directly one on one, you really don't get to do this as an officer.

From what I am getting from what your saying I would again say go enlisted, bust your butt, and become an NCO.

Credits
    Savings

Serious

Quote Originally Posted by cannakis View Post
    haha, this seems a bit sarcastic? but you are right, regardless, i just got to take each day at hand and ask for Christ to guide me; as He guides all of us. thanks brother if you're serious; and if you're not, haha thanks anyways because you still spoke the Truth regardless.
    thats the trouble with the internet ! It comes across impersonal sometimes. I am Serious as I am a believer! And A decision of this magnitude deserves to be taken to the Lord in earnest. Moz USMC 68-70

Thread Information