Question about the Korean Defense Medal
Create Post

Question about the Korean Defense Medal

I did Team Spirit in 86 with 3/5. Does that qualify for this medal? It was authorized after I was out.

Anyone else have one?

I've got one. The KDSM is a tad screwy when it comes to it's criteria. You need, at minimum, 30 days 'boots on the ground' IN COUNTRY (60 if aircrew flying overhead) to qualify.

Here's a rundown:

http://www.grunts*************/kordefser.shtml

Requirements: The KDSM is authorized to members of the armed forces who have served on active duty in support of the defense of the ROK from 28 July 1954 to a date to be determined. The area of eligibility encompasses all land area of the ROK, and the contiguous water out to 12 nautical miles, and all air spaces above the land and water areas.

Criteria: Service members must have been assigned, attached or mobilized to units operating in the area of eligibility for 30 consecutive or 60 nonconsecutive days, or meet the following criteria:

a. Be engaged in combat during an armed engagement, regardless of the time in the area of eligibility.
    b. Is wounded or injured in the line of duty and requires medical evacuation from the area of eligibility.
    c. While participating as a regularly assigned air crewmember flying sorties into, out of, or within the area of eligibility in direct support of military operations. Each day that one or more sorties are flown in accordance with these criteria shall count as one day toward the 30 or 60 day requirement.
    d. Personnel who serve in operations and exercises conducted in the area of eligibility are considered eligible for the award as long as the basic time criteria is met. Due to extensive time period for KDSM eligibility, the nonconsecutive service period for eligibility remains cumulative throughout the entire period.
    e. The KDSM may be awarded posthumously to any service member who lost his/her life without regard to length of such service.

Only one award of the KDSM is authorized for any individual.

So back to the question

I understand the reg, but does a Team Spirit count. we were there at least 30 days. Sarge leperchaun, was yours from a TS?

Anything counts, if you are there TAD, deployed, stationed, whatever for at least 30 days then you rate it.

The only stipulation that wouldn't count would be if you travel there on leave.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Team Spirit counts. I did team spirit 86 ... exactly 29 days he he. There is also something in the order for culmative time as a qualifyer. If you did a team spirit and then a bear hunt then you would probably rate it.

Team Spirit in and of itself is not a qualifyer. It is the number of days. Has to be 30 or greater or a culmative total of 60.

That is so Marine Corps, run you all over a country prepping the ROKs to fight and make you prove you were there.

DD214's we got aren't exactly like what the war time guys are getting. Mine is so generic it is pitiful. Even those correspondance courses we took to raise our cutting scores aren't listed on mine and I did a bunch. It shows my overseas duty and sea service but is not specific

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinwalter View Post
    I understand the reg, but does a Team Spirit count. we were there at least 30 days. Sarge leperchaun, was yours from a TS?
    If you did the MuChuk (mudchuck) portion of training before TS kicked off, you should be good to go. I can't remember which LeJeune Bn did the MuChuk package after TS.

A single TS without the training at MuChuk probably wouldn't give enough days in country except if you were on advanced/rear party. The exersize lasted 10 days in 86, the 4th Mar Reg + Lejeune Bn did the amphib portion, the 9th Mar Reg + Pendleton Bn flew in if my memory serves me right.

I still need to get that on my DD-214. I did TS 83, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 & Bear Hunt 87, 88, 89 and a couple trips to 2nd ID at Camp Casey.

The accumulative days thing can be a bear. I was in Norway for 8 days total boots on ground, each day was counted as 2 days. At the time you needed to have boots on ground for 17 days to rate the Arctic Ribbon.

Yep, TS counts, which is how I got mine. We were there for almost 45 days, Yechon, TS 87.

I had to show my orders and TS ID/Liberty card, then my orders TAD'ing me out of there, to rate it. Luckily I never throw anything away LOL

Thread Information