5811 without a driver's license? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    And loose the thin skin.

To get back to the ORIGINAL intent of the question, no license, no 5800. MP's DRIVE. Gotta have a civvie license to do that.

You might have an issue anyway if you have multiple traffic offenses on your driving record.
    Will do Sgt. Wish the military operated their own driving licenses. Hopefully dumb mistakes from a few years ago won't come back to haunt me.

We'll we do have our own drivers licenses for military-specific vehicles. You take a course to get your HMMWV license, or your heavy equipment operator's license, or your tank license, etc.
    All these are extensions of the civilian driver's license however, and they just build on the fundamentals you learn with a standard automobile.

It's like marksmanship. You don't relearn how to shoot for every new weapon system you are trained on. You are taught the fundamentals of marksmanship, basically qualified in them, and are then taught how to extend those fundamentals to the specifics of different weapon systems.

That's why having a civie license is so important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    You might have an issue anyway if you have multiple traffic offenses on your driving record.
    Yup, exacally what I was thinking. They'll probably run a background check and then DQ at the school house. 15 over the limit violations are not looked upon well in the Marine Corps, hell... you'll get your ass chewed for 5-10 over, 15 and you're looking at NJP. MP's won't want anyone coming into their ranks that's young and already has violations such as these. Just a thought but you can at least try.

Vandrel has it right. I'd for SURE have a good backup plan/secondary MOS already lined up. And don't go running around telling everyone you are an MP or going to BE one, until you get through school. Davmnd embarrassing later on if you don't make it and you are 'bulk fuel', 'Intelligence' or whatever else.

With the issues you have I will quite frankly be surprised if you get the MOS. In all seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Yup, exacally what I was thinking. They'll probably run a background check and then DQ at the school house. 15 over the limit violations are not looked upon well in the Marine Corps, hell... you'll get your ass chewed for 5-10 over, 15 and you're looking at NJP. MP's won't want anyone coming into their ranks that's young and already has violations such as these. Just a thought but you can at least try.
    Mmmm that's not necessary wrong or right, it all depends on the situation. For example myself...I had two tickets under 18, one was for running a red light (bs ticket) and the other was for 18 mph over the speed limit. I got my license suspended for 3 months, however the school house had nothing to say to me. That could be because that's the last "run-in" I've had, but I'm not really sure.

It all depends what the charges are and how long ago they were. Now, serious tickets/charges are a whole different situation, so don't get confused. If you have anything like unpaid fines, DUI/reckless op, etc. you might not get in. There was a guy 3 DAYS from graduation who got an underage DUI...yea...civilian LE costs, military costs, and he lost his school seat and got re-classed. Don't do it.

That was just my situation and my limited knowledge, so don't take that as 100% accurate. Anything could happen, you just have to try!

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Actually what this young lad is trying to say is for the most part completely true and almost all major insurance companies do this.

Being that he is a resident/dependent in is parents household and if he had a license his parents would be obligated to have him as a possible vehicle operator/driver on their insurance. Being that he has violations those would also be a part of the insurance history and would have to pay for it. By him not having a drivers license the insurance can not charge because he wouldn't be authorized to drive anyway.

My suggestion to you on this though would be to go get your license back and tell your parents you will pay the difference in the insurance until you leave for boot and then off to the fleet because at that point you would no longer be a dependent or living in their household.
    This Marine is correct in his statement!If he lives in the house hold he is a possible operator of the vehicles of the house hold A.K.A. PARENTS which must be on the insurance plan .Hes not lieing I called GEICO and asked to make sure.The reason is that if he decides to move the vehicle for any reason and causes damages to the vehicle its covered.

Quote Originally Posted by RAPARMER View Post
    This Marine is correct in his statement!If he lives in the house hold he is a possible operator of the vehicles of the house hold A.K.A. PARENTS which must be on the insurance plan .Hes not lieing I called GEICO and asked to make sure.The reason is that if he decides to move the vehicle for any reason and causes damages to the vehicle its covered.
    Thanks for clearing this up! I needed someone with some history on this forum to set it straight.

Still doesn't change the fact...if you don't have a DL you aren't going to get the MOS.

If you have a lengthy *bad* driving record....suggest looking at another MOS.

If you are considering a LEO career after the Marine Corps, most agencies require a 10 year waiting period after you get your DL back with ZERO cites before they will even consider your application.

The solution should be fairly simple on this one. Go to the DMV just prior to going to boot. Put in for a lost license and pay for a replacement. The DMV is slow enough that it will not show up until sometime during boot. When you graduate boot and go home for your 10 day leave... it should be there. Pocket it and you will be good to go when you go to MOS school. If the DMV will not work with you, then retake the drivers test. Have a parental unit drive you there, take the written and driving test and they can mail your license to your home of record while you are at boot. Then... the first part of the explanation is again valid.

BTW.... my son works for the gecko and I checked with him. Any licensed driver is automatically covered for damage to the household vehicles. If someone has 3 minor driver infractions, they raise the entire household insurance charge. By turning in his license, he is not a licensed driver so his driving history is not taken into account when rating the household.

Thread Information