5811 without a driver's license?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 5811 without a driver's license?

I've been enlisted for a few weeks and I'm sitting down with my recruiter soon to choose a MOS. I want 5811 Military Police, but on the about.com job description it states, "Must have valid state driver's license (not waiverable)." I handed mine back to the DMV about a year ago due to insurance reasons. I could go get it back but how much time do I have before it's too late to mention 5811 in my contract?

Quote Originally Posted by bdalesvandy View Post
    I handed mine back to the DMV about a year ago due to insurance reasons.
    What is that for failure to pay insurance, elaborate.

"Not waiverable." If you had "insurance" problems, why not just sell the auto and quit driving? Why would you have to turn your license into the DMV for "insurance" reasons?

I had 3 minor traffic violations prior to handing it in to the DMV. I simply couldn't pay for the high insurance anymore so I had no choice but to give it back to the DMV and sell my car.

I couldn't just sell my car because if I live int he same residence as my parents. I wouldn't get charged for the insurance but just living with someone who has current violations on their driving record, it rolls over to yours, and you have to pay for their mistakes. In my situation, I didn't think it was fair for my parents to be punished for my mistakes.

The forum won't let me edit the post again so I'll do it here, this is the corrections to the second paragraph...

I couldn't just sell my car because I live in the same residence as my parents. Just living with someone who has current violations on their driving record, it rolls over to their insurance also, and they have to pay for your mistakes. In my situation, I didn't think it was fair for my parents to be punished for my mistakes.

None of that requires you turn in your drivers license. You can have a drivers license, but have no car, no insurance, and simply never drive. It's simply a qualification saying you know HOW to drive, should you so choose to.
    The only reason why a drivers license would be taken is if it were confiscated because of driving violations such as DUIs or reckless driving or unpaid tickets.

There's something fishy about your story.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only instance I can think of where a drivers license would be revoked is failure to pay SR-22 insurance. If you had violations warrenting that you maintain SR-22 insurance then you should not be given a squad car and a badge and a gun.

Banks can take away your car for failure to maintain insurance on your/their car. They can't take away your drivers license though.

I'm so confused.

I must have not been clear enough on my situation. I was not forced to give back my license, i chose to so that the insurance companies could not charge me insurance anymore. My violations were minor, never any alcohol or drugs involved. The solution to all my problems is to buy my own insurance, I was under my parents at the time. I'm going to buy my own soon but I was wondering how quickly the Corps needs my License # for me to be qualified to obtain the MOS, because when I enlisted a few weeks ago, I stated that I did not have a valid driver's license. I wanted to know if it were going to be a big deal, or a simple fax of my license from my recruiter's office, to Head Quarters.

Why can't you just go get your license, keep it, and just not drive and not have insurance (your parents' or otherwise)?

You didn't need to turn in your license. Your parents could have simply just dropped you from their plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    Why can't you just go get your license, keep it, and just not drive and not have insurance (your parents' or otherwise)?

You didn't need to turn in your license. Your parents could have simply just dropped you from their plan.
    I completely understand where you're coming from, that was my thought also at the time. The problem was that my parents insurance company, Geiko, insisted that they would be charged if I didn't surrender my license because I'm, "a risk."

So the insurance company gave your parents an ultimatum that they expect you to steal their car and drive it without insurance, and wreck it, but that if you didn't have license it would hold you back from doing so? All because of a couple "minor traffic violations" convincing them that you are such a hellion?

Driving uninsured is just as illegal as driving without a license, and if the insurance company really used this as a justification, I would have swiftly took my business elsewhere.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Actually what this young lad is trying to say is for the most part completely true and almost all major insurance companies do this.

Being that he is a resident/dependent in is parents household and if he had a license his parents would be obligated to have him as a possible vehicle operator/driver on their insurance. Being that he has violations those would also be a part of the insurance history and would have to pay for it. By him not having a drivers license the insurance can not charge because he wouldn't be authorized to drive anyway.

My suggestion to you on this though would be to go get your license back and tell your parents you will pay the difference in the insurance until you leave for boot and then off to the fleet because at that point you would no longer be a dependent or living in their household.

I'm not believing this story for one minute...however to answer your question yes you need a valid license. That means go get one or choose another MOS. I've had tickets and got my license suspended for 3 months when I was 17, and it NEVER affected my insurance or rates, nor did it affect my parents in anyway. And yes, I'm under their policy. I smell fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bdalesvandy View Post
    I completely understand where you're coming from, that was my thought also at the time. The problem was that my parents insurance company, Geiko, insisted that they would be charged if I didn't surrender my license because I'm, "a risk."

That's Only IF YOU were on their insurance policy! No way no How can an Insurance company FORCE you to give up your license! All the Parents had to do was take you of their policy....you keep the license!

Even If you live with your parents...You DO NOT have to be on their Policy! Only if you drive THEIR vehicles do you need to be listed on the policy!

Just Because He's their Dependent Doesn't mean he has to(if he has a License)be on their Policy!

I have no reason to lie. Why would I lie during a portion of my question? It would simply lead to the wrong answer to the question I asked. After about $6,000 dedicated to court fees, ticket fines, insurance rates, license restoration surcharges, a remedial course, and lawyer fees, I know a thing or two about how insurance companies work. Maybe it's just New Jersey that works this way. This state is known for it's strict laws, and bull**** reasons for looking for that extra buck to get out of it's residents...

Thread Information