Just Back From Iraq or Afghan????
Create Post

Lightbulb Just Back From Iraq or Afghan????

Morning All,
    I just wanted to spread a piece of information that I learned about a week ago in regards to the VA.

This information is pertinent for those of us that got out of the Corps five years or less after we returned from OIF/OEF; It turns out that the VA will provide 100% all inclusive FREE healthcare to any veteran no longer in the service for five years (this begins the day of which you return to the states).

During the TAMP/TAP class that is required to attend prior to separation they inform you that you are entitled to 180 days of free Tri-Care benefits ****THIS IS NOT THE SAME BENEFIT**** You are also entitled to the 5 years of 100% VA healthcare.

I was not informed of the aforementioned fact during by separation from the Corps; and was informed last week, now I only have 6 months of benefits left and they do not get prorated!!!!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen PLEASE BE AWARE!!!!!!

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ALL THE BENEFITS THAT ARE PROVIDED TO YOU; WE ARE AFFORDED THIS OPPORTUNITY THAT WAS NOT PRESENTED TO THE VETERANS THAT HAVE COME BEFORE US- WWI, WWII, KOREA, VIETNAM, GULF THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

****To the Mods; please make this a sticky as I believe that it is important information****

Semper Fi Marines!

Last edited by zx6rdr; 08-04-09 at 10:43 AM. Reason: organization

Done...

Thank you Drifter!

Additionally, I forgot to add; Post any and all quesitons regarding this issue in this thread and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

BUMP!

Also, I went and initiated this process on friday; dont have time to update everything right now, but it is coming.

SEMPER FI

I didn't find out until the beginning of this year about this.

They never mentioned this to us in SEPS/TAPS. Its pretty nice though.

Godbless You All And Thankyou For Your Sacrafices

Semper Fi

Good post zx6rdr. You're absolutely right.

When I went through Seps about a year ago, I was NEVER told that I needed to register with the VA upon release from active duty. I mean, you'd think it'd be an automatic kinda thing when a Marine is honorably discharged. Why wouldn't we be instantly registered? Well, I got burnt pretty bad from this.

Last Memorial Day weekend, I got into a jet ski accident which resulted in me having to be transported on a stretcher, by ambulence to a hospital up north. I was semi-conscious the majority of the ride. I ended up having to get 13 staples in my head, and stitches in a couple other areas.

I wasn't worried, though, because I was under the impression that the VA had my back. Even though I wasn't taken to a VA facility, there wasn't one around, and the situation was life-threatening.

Well, the VA denied the medical bills sent to them because "I had not been seen at a VA facility in the past 365 days, and I was not formally registered with the VA." I have sent in an appeal with a long letter explaining the situation, and have yet to hear a reply. The bills are almost $3,000, and there's no way in hell I can afford to pay it any time soon. (I'm a full time student living off of the post 9/11 GI bill.)

So yep, if you are an OIF/OEF vet and have been released from active duty recently, you better get your ass into a VA facility and get registered, or you could find yourself in a ****ty situation like mine.

I registered with the VA about 9 months ago. They told me that they would contact me in about 2 weeks to set up an appointment with a Doctor. I waited about 2 months and never heard from them. I called and they told me it would be about a month. After about 6 months I finally got a lady that new what was going on. She told me that I made too much money to receive any VA benifits. I wrote Two different congress men and haven't heard back from either. I think that blank check I signed in 56 was a one way deal. PS- If I make too much money to receive VA benifits, there a lot of Vets out their really hurting.

I didn't find this out for a while either.

Use it before you lose it. If you plan on putting in a claim for disability go to one of the veteran groups that I'm assuming all VA hospitals have and they will make sure you document everything properly.

Also rumor has it that all OIF/OEF vets claims are being processed in about 6months time and you get back pay from the day you submit it.

The VA and the GI bill are so messed up it's not even funny... not too dependable, I always keep emergency cash $$$$$$

From an old Vietnam Vet that learned to hard way ........ Use It Or Loss It. Please go an sign up for your VA even if you decide not to use it , the Gov. sets the budget to the number Vets that sign up for the VA , so you would be helping other Vets by signing up.

And A Big Salute to all yo guys coming back and all Vets that pulled their time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=KTb6qdPu8JE

Thread Information