Non-debilitating injury before bootcamp
Create Post

Non-debilitating injury before bootcamp

I have a mild knee injury that needs rest, but I'm at max ship weight. What to do?

A little background. I have been in DEP for just about a year now, been training the entire time, and have decent passing IST scores. I started really ramping up my PT, specifically running, as my ship date got closer and end't up slightly injuring my knee from overtraining. I went to a physical therapist who identified it as ilio tibial friction (thats a tight muscle running along the outside of your thigh which rubs against your knee causing painful friction). Since I caught it early its very mild. I can run on it, but it just gets worse from ignoring it and running anyway, so I have been resting(docs orders) for the last 2 weeks.

Now I have 2 weeks before bootcamp, seeing a physical therapist who is telling me to take it easy on the running, and a recruiter who is telling me I gotta run and lose weight or I won't ship.
    Can I ship at 69inches 196lbs?
    What do I do, Marines?

Drink only water, work on your crunches. Stay away from sugar, potatos, pasta and bread as well as pogy bait (junk food). Eat fruit, salads and vegatables (no butter, cheese or milk) Lay off of the fried foods. Find a sauna and sweat some of the pounds off, but stay hydrated.

Try swimming, but clear it with the docs first.

Agreed, with only 2 weeks left. Essentially, you'll have to just starve yourself to a degree.

Try to take in only about 1500 calories a day. This should net you a weight loss of about 4 pounds by the time you ship. If you drop your calorie intake by too much your body will almost instantly pack the weight back on once you start eating again.

And Stay off that knee! The last thing you want to do it make it worse for your first week of bootcamp!

Update: Ran my IST, took 14 seconds off my fastest time, with no knee pain at all!
    Doc says I can resume training.
    Recruiter says I gotta lose 5 lbs.
    I will be drinking only water, eating fruit, vegetables and...lean meat?
    I will be swimming everyday,running 4 days per week, and mainly working on my crunches
    [Everything went better than expected]
    Thanks for the advice, Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    If you are sure you are healed, then you can proceed cautiously.

Any injury that isn't fully healed can manifest itself or worsen during boot camp because of the strenuous physical activity. It could also cause long term issue if it does not heal properly.

As excited as you are, I, personally would rather have you go after you are sure you are healed. The injury could get worse during boot camp and linger afterwards. The recruiter may object, but only you can say whether you are comfortable proceeding or not due to the injury.

Others will say if you want that EGA bad enough, then you'll endure whatever pain and injury it takes. But permanent disability due to a provoked injury isn't worth it IMO.

I occasionally received broken Marines at my unit and they were not useful to me and took up resources that could have been better allocated.

Credits
    Savings
    In boot camp, you're not running on pavement in trainers. You'll be running around with stiff soled boots with rifle, kevlar, and 50lbs on your back on uneven terrain.

Thread Information