Boot Camp Before Grad
Create Post

Boot Camp Before Grad

I was talking to people who are in the Army the other day. They told me that there is something you can do, so that you go to boot camp during the summer of your Jr. and Sr. year of high school. Then continue training after graduation day. I was just wondering if you can do it with the Marines. Or if it is just an Army thing. If it is possiable and you know any information about it please tell me! Thanks.

Nope. Army program. Not Marine Corps at all.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Nope. Army program. Not Marine Corps at all.
    are you sure Sgt?...

what about that Marine that wanted to graduate from HS in his blues awhile back but was told no?....how was that possible?

That Marine graduated and obtained his diploma early from high school, then wanted to walk with his class at the ceremony in his blues. I have never heard of any USMC recruit shipping out without a diploma.

We are talking 'here and now' not years ago, to answer the question. The only possible way it would actually work is if the HS Junior, on his/her last day of 11th grade, was already 17, and went to Recruit Training the very next day, graduated, then returned to school to finish out his/her senior year. That person would HAVE to be a reservist, and the timeline would be so tight as to be very difficult to make. PLUS the reserve unit would have to agree that the Marine would/could put off going to SOI, AND their reserve MOS school while they completed High School.....

See all the complications?

Not possible. Not these days.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    check Cpl. I didn't know that

Sorry for the confusion Sgt. I didn't know of the situation like the Cpl. said

No worries. Yes, there was a time when it was *possible*. But highly unlikely today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    We are talking 'here and now' not years ago, to answer the question. The only possible way it would actually work is if the HS Junior, on his/her last day of 11th grade, was already 17, and went to Recruit Training the very next day, graduated, then returned to school to finish out his/her senior year. That person would HAVE to be a reservist, and the timeline would be so tight as to be very difficult to make. PLUS the reserve unit would have to agree that the Marine would/could put off going to SOI, AND their reserve MOS school while they completed High School.....

See all the complications?

Not possible. Not these days.
    There's a program called 92-day reservists (I don't think that's the official name but it's what I've always heard it called) where each of the three phases are done during the summer. We have a guy in our unit that went to boot camp last summer, recently got back from MCT and next summer goes to MP school. In the meantime he keeps working on his college degree.

No clue if that would work with high schoolers, though.

Thanks for the response everyone. But if I got the chance to, is it possible to switch to active before going to SOI?

Anything is possible, just not that. How far before SOI? Like before bootcamp?

After bootcamp. I just want to be active duty, but do boot camp between my jr and senior summer

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If that was alllowed then in theory 16 year old kids could go to boot camp. Additionally the current policy is absolutely no high school drop outs. What happens if you go to boot after your junior year then just drop out?

Nope doesn't work, got to have a highschool diploma

Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87 View Post
    That Marine graduated and obtained his diploma early from high school, then wanted to walk with his class at the ceremony in his blues. I have never heard of any USMC recruit shipping out without a diploma.
    I did something similar, I dropped out in 99, Got a GED and Adult Ed Diploma in early 2000, went to boot camp shorly after. I pinned on Lance Corporal before everyone in my grade back at high school even graduated.

From what I understand that's not entirely possible anymore. I heard GED's are not really accepted as easily as they used to be.

Bingo. GED's need a waiver...

Kid, appreciate your desire, but it isn't going to happen. Period. Not with the Marine Corps at least.

Thread Information