Things that don't make sense...
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1) The PFT. Wars are not fought in a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. How is evaluating someone's performance in that scenario a good of evaluation of if they are prepared for the rigors of combat?

2) The CFT. A huge improvement over the PFT, but why is it done with no gear on?

3) Rifle Qualification. Is it relevant at all to modern combat? You will never exchange fire without gear on and with your arm in a sling like you do on the range.

4) Emphasis on Drill in Boot Camp. Drill is important for ceremonies and marching is the only acceptable way to move squads and larger units around without looking like a big cluster****. But why is there such a huge emphasis on Drill in Boot Camp instead of combat training or PT? I've read several things concerning Drill and most claim that learning Drill improves the morale of the unit and conditions Marines to instantly obey commands. The latter part I agree with, but in my experience, most of my platoon was only concerned about Drill because our SDI was really into it.

I'd greatly appreciate the insight of senior Marines, especially those who have done DI tours and/or have combat experience.

1. PFT: To make evaluate if you are at a minimum physically fit
    2. CFT: This appears to be something similar to the PRT. The PRT was in boots and Utes with your combat gear on in contrast to the CFT. I am unfamiliar with the complexeties of the CFT so I have no opinion on this.
    3. Rifle Qual: To ensure you have basic marksmanship knowledge and reminders of the fundamentals of marksmanship. It's not real world training obviously, but Vince Lombardi always went over the fundamentals the Monday after the game and started from there.
    4. Drill: to instill obedience to commands. One thing that was related to me from a Beirut Marine was that because one of his buddies thought he didnt need a helmet, his buddy took a permenant dirt nap.

I dont have combat experience, nor experience on the drill field. But as you age, you see the wisdom to some of the madness of the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MeierT View Post
    1) The PFT. Wars are not fought in a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. How is evaluating someone's performance in that scenario a good of evaluation of if they are prepared for the rigors of combat?

2) The CFT. A huge improvement over the PFT, but why is it done with no gear on?

3) Rifle Qualification. Is it relevant at all to modern combat? You will never exchange fire without gear on and with your arm in a sling like you do on the range.

4) Emphasis on Drill in Boot Camp. Drill is important for ceremonies and marching is the only acceptable way to move squads and larger units around without looking like a big cluster****. But why is there such a huge emphasis on Drill in Boot Camp instead of combat training or PT? I've read several things concerning Drill and most claim that learning Drill improves the morale of the unit and conditions Marines to instantly obey commands. The latter part I agree with, but in my experience, most of my platoon was only concerned about Drill because our SDI was really into it.

I'd greatly appreciate the insight of senior Marines, especially those who have done DI tours and/or have combat experience.

Are you seriously asking this ****?????

Did you go to boot under water and were physically unable to take in any info given out??

Seriously, WTF????

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We don't go to combat wearing alphas either but we are taught how to properly wear them.

You really need to look up the purpose of close order drill.

#1 Are you that hard core?
    #2 Are you that Hard core?
    #3 Are you that Hard core?

#4 cause if we didn't we would look like the Airforce (I guess you arent that hard core)

Do Marines still go through the Combat Conditioning Course? We did it yearly when I was in from 1989 to 1993.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Your questions......posting as a Marine....but questioning like a poolee!

I think he is just venting.

Otherwise, WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Your questions......posting as a Marine....but questioning like a poolee!
    He didn't make it past MOS school. His lack of experience within the Marine Corps is showing-big time.

All of those "questions" could be answered by a civilian.

PFT--If is it combat important that a man be able to pull himself up to a bar several times, why is it not important for a girl?

Officer's families--Different clubs, different beach areas, private marinas, private day care. Are their families nobility who are unable to mix with the scum?

The airforce is able to provide a very high level of comfort for their enlisted. Why are the Marine officers failures?

The army is able to give their troops time off after work and on weekends. Why are the Marine officers failures?

ALL the other branches push their troops to E-4 as quickly as possible so that their fmailies can live okayy--congress expects it an adjusts the pay scale to suit. Why are the Marine officers failures?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We are brothers through adversity. To complain of the oppulant life style of the other branches is just plain whining. You want the title without having undergone some of the most difficult training in the military?

You would be hard pressed to find a fly boy that can say he split a MRE cracker in a muddy hole with a fellow fly boy.

Sure they want to have the elite title .... just look at the recent uniform changes. Squids wearing charlies and airman wearing cammies. There is also that navy blue cammies with the embedded anchors.

They want to be us ... not us wanting to be them.

[quote=Garyius;684013]
    ALL the other branches push their troops to E-4 as quickly as possible so that their fmailies can live okayy.quote]

Have to disagree with this as far as the Navy is concerned at least. From E-1 to E-3 is 9, 9, 6, and they're automatic advancement. To be advanced to E-4 you have to have TIS, good Evals and pass your advancement exam for your specific rate, even if you pass you are not gaunteed advancement especially if your rate is over-manned at the E-4 level. The Air Force has automatic E-4 advancement as I understand and I don't how the Army does, maybe they pull straws?

Quote Originally Posted by MeierT View Post

Unbelivable..... Never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    We are brothers through adversity. To complain of the oppulant life style of the other branches is just plain whining. You want the title without having undergone some of the most difficult training in the military?

You would be hard pressed to find a fly boy that can say he split a MRE cracker in a muddy hole with a fellow fly boy.

Sure they want to have the elite title .... just look at the recent uniform changes. Squids wearing charlies and airman wearing cammies. There is also that navy blue cammies with the embedded anchors.

They want to be us ... not us wanting to be them.
    Dead on!
    The "life style" of the Marine has always been "spartan" to say the least.
    Some of the best and worst times I had in the Corps were times when
    we would share gritty chow in the desert at the Stumps or wet, soggy,
    cold chow in a freakin' mud hole in Thailand or where ever the heII we were.
    They all want to be like us but not have to live like we do.
    I don't know about now but we always built our hooches from the inside out.
    Not the other way around. Natural elements be dammed.
    The toughest part of survival, besides not getting iced is comfort.
    I have found that being a Marine, I can get real comfortable, real fast.
    The way we live, be it in the rear or in the field is intentional.
    Anything that don't kill you just makes you stronger, tougher and by God
    more focused to get the job done and get the fvck out of there.
    I always found that there was nothing better than a hot shower, a couple
    fingers of good whiskey and a fine cigar after being in the field for a few
    weeks. So stop whining and be a Marine.
    Just get some!

Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny C Smith View Post
    Dead on!
    The "life style" of the Marine has always been "spartan" to say the least.
    Some of the best and worst times I had in the Corps were times when
    we would share gritty chow in the desert at the Stumps or wet, soggy,
    cold chow in a freakin' mud hole in Thailand or where ever the heII we were.
    They all want to be like us but not have to live like we do.
    I don't know about now but we always built our hooches from the inside out.
    Not the other way around. Natural elements be dammed.
    The toughest part of survival, besides not getting iced is comfort.
    I have found that being a Marine, I can get real comfortable, real fast.
    The way we live, be it in the rear or in the field is intentional.
    Anything that don't kill you just makes you stronger, tougher and by God
    more focused to get the job done and get the fvck out of there.
    I always found that there was nothing better than a hot shower, a couple
    fingers of good whiskey and a fine cigar after being in the field for a few
    weeks. So stop whining and be a Marine.
    Just get some!

Semper Fi.

And that's all that needs to be said on this issue... if you wished we were more like the other branches, join them when you get out.

Thread Information