How do I get Base Privilages now that I am 100% disabled
Create Post

How do I get Base Privilages now that I am 100% disabled

Now that I am 100% disabled by VA standards, how do I get Base privilages again?

H.R. 4071, The Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act (75 comments ↓ | 3 wiki edits: view article ↓)
    •This item is from the 110th Congress (2007-2008) and is no longer current. Comments, voting, and wiki editing have been disabled, and the cost/savings estimate has been frozen.
    H.R. 4071 would amend title 10, United States Code, to support disabled veterans by extending military commissary and exchange store privileges to such veterans and their dependents and by authorizing space-available travel on military aircraft for such veterans and their dependents.

Detailed Summary
    Status of the Legislation
    Points in Favor
    Points Against
    Detailed Summary
    Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act - Requires veterans with disabilities rated at 30% or more to be permitted to use commissary and exchange stores on the same basis as members of the Armed Forces eligible for retired or retainer pay. Extends such benefit to dependents on the same basis.

Directs the Secretary of Defense to provide transportation on Department of Defense aircraft on a space-available basis for any veteran with a service-connected disability rated at 50% or more on the same basis as members entitled to retired or retainer pay. Extends such benefit to dependents on the same basis.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Your VA medical center has a benefits office. Take them your letter awarding you 100%, and they will write a series of letters for you. One will be for getting your base ID card. Other letters are for any state benefits you may rate, such as free car tags, hunting & fishing license, break on your property tax, etc.
    Take the appropriate letter to where ever you will be using the commisary, and they will make an ID card for you. You will need to take other forms of ID with you, so it would be a good idea to call ahead to find out what is required.
    (For instance, if you are married, and your wife wants a card, you will have to provide an original marriage license, with the embossed seal.)

VA Regional Office Employee

This is the language that we put into the notification letters for 100% disabled ratings:

"We enclosed a VA Form 21-8760, "Additional Information for Veterans with Service-Connected Permanent and Total Disability," which explains certain factors concerning your benefits.

Are You Entitled to Additional Benefits?
    The Department of Education provides a program for Veterans to discharge their student loans. To be eligible, the Veteran must have a service-connected disability(ies) that is 100% disabling, or be totally disabled based on an Individual Unemployability determination. For more information concerning this benefit, please contact the U.S. Department of Education, Disability Discharge Loan Servicing Center P.O. Box 5200 Greenville, TX 75403-5200 or toll free at 1‑800‑433‑7327. Visit there website at http://ifap.ed.gov/disabilitydischarge/va.html.

You may be eligible for medical care by the VA health care system for any service connected disability. You may apply for medical care or treatment at the nearest medical facility. If you apply in person, present a copy of this letter to the Patient Registration/Eligibility Section. If you apply by writing a letter, include your VA file number and a copy of this letter.

REDUCE OR ELIMINATE

YOUR MEDICAL CO-PAYMENTS

If you receive care at a VA medical facility, please call our Health
    Benefits Call Center at 1-877-222-VETS (8387) or notify your
    local VA medical center of this change in your compensation
    benefits. This rating decision may reduce or eliminate your co-
    payments for your VA-provided medical care. You may also be
    eligible for a refund based on this rating decision. Information
    regarding VA health care eligibility and co-payments is available at
    our website www.va.gov/healtheligibility.

You should contact your State office of veteran's affairs for information on any tax, license, or fee-related benefits for which you may be eligible as a veteran (or surviving dependent of a veteran). State offices of veteran's affairs are available at http://www.va.gov/statedva.htm.

You may be able to receive vocational rehabilitation employment services. The enclosed VA Form 28-8890, "Important Information About Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits," explains this benefit completely. To apply for this benefit, complete and return the enclosed VA Form 28-1900, "Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation."

Because of the rating action described in this letter, you may be eligible to have your government life insurance premiums waived. (This doesn't apply if you have Veterans Group Life Insurance [VGLI]). If your answer is "yes" to all of the following questions, you should contact the VA Insurance Center at the following toll free telephone number in order to request a "waiver of premiums" on your government life insurance policy. Call 1‑800‑669‑8477.

· Do you have an active government life insurance policy?
    · Do you currently pay premiums for your government life insurance policy?
    · Are you considered to be unemployable, or are you rated 100% disabled by VA?
    · Were you under age 65 when you became unable to work or 100% disabled?

Your dependents may be eligible for Dependents' Educational Assistance. We are enclosing a VA pamphlet 22-73-3, "Summary of Education Benefits," which explains the program. To make a claim, complete and return the enclosed VA Form 22-5490.

Your dependents may be eligible for benefits under CHAMPVA. CHAMPVA is a health benefits program in which the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) shares the cost of certain healthcare and supplies with eligible beneficiaries. To be eligible for the CHAMPVA program a dependent must be the spouse or child of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled from a service-connected disability. The Health Administration Center in Denver, Colorado administers the CHAMPVA program. You should call 1‑800‑733‑8387 if additional information is needed.

You may be entitled to Armed Forces Commissary and Exchange privileges. Honorably discharged veterans evaluated as 100 percent disabled due to service-connected disability; or, Medal of Honor recipients; or, military retirees and their dependents may qualify for entitlement to this additional benefit."

The form you need is located here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/i...rms/dd1172.pdf

I'd also like to point out the new addition regarding the discharge of studen loans...very helpful to some of the younger guys

All good info...thanks brothers......!!! I didn't know some of that info.....I do now...!!

Thread Information