I have an Atheist tattoo, will this keep me from getting in?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

I have an Atheist tattoo, will this keep me from getting in?

My right arm says "proud" and my left arm says "Atheist", they are going down my forearms. I have gone to a recruiter and he told me that if my hand can cover them completely then it shouldn't be too big of a deal. But he didn't know what Atheist meant, so I don't think he understood.

I've heard that the Marines aren't too fond of Atheists, but as long as you don't go around shoving it in peoples faces then you'll be fine. But it's clearly written on my forearms. The recruiter never got back to me about my tat waivers and started to ignore me. I don't know if it had to do with what my tats said or just the placement. Other than the tattoos I was a good candidate. I made an 87 on the practice ASVAB they gave me and I don't have a criminal record, any broken bones, and I have never done drugs.

I know that tats are shunned if it's shown in your pt gear. But like I said, the recruiter didn't see a problem with them. So now I'm here to ask anyone who might know if these particular tattoos will keep me from getting in, or if i should just try a different recruitment office that isn't filling their quota for recruits?

Please, and thank you

No clue to be honest. If your current recruiter is ignoring you, I would suggest to either go into the office to speak with him face to face. If that doesn't work, then seek consult from a different recruiter. There are always waivers but I'm not sure how they'll view this one. Due to the fact that it's dealing with your personal views about religion, I don't think it will be an issue. However, I may very well be wrong due to the fact that they may view it as something that others will take very personal offense to. But yeah, a recruiter is really the only one that can guide you on this.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Covey_Rider View Post
    a recruiter is really the only one that can guide you on this.

I might have just picked a bad office, I've recently heard from a friend who was in the navy, that he tried going to that office prior to joining the navy and they guys were just jerking him around and didn't seem to care all that much about signing him up.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    To start with .... a tatoo on your forearm is a no go. It doesn't matter if it says I love pumpkin pie. The location of it is the problem. No the Marines do not frown on or shun someone because of their religious beliefs, or lack of. That's your buisness. If you had it tatooed on your ribcage or something no one would give a hoot. The location of it will be the problem.

That said .... If you have a KKK or swastica or something tatooed anywhere you will probably not get in.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    \That said .... If you have a KKK or swastica or something tatooed anywhere you will probably not get in.

I don't have any racist, extremist, or gang affiliated tattoos. And I'm aware that having any tattoos visible in your pt gear is a big no no. But I have heard about people getting waivers for their arm tattoos. I'm sure it all depends on how meeting the quota which I believe they have actually gone over their expected amount.

You can have tattoos on your forearm. To get a waiver they will have to be able to be covered up by your hand with your fingers extended and joined. If your hand doesn't cover them you can't get a waiver.

And you don't have to believe in a certain religion to be a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    They can be covered by my hand. He took pictures of them uncovered and covered. That's why I wasn't too worried about it. But he just never got back to me about my waiver, months went by and I figured he could care less about me.

I've posted a picture of the tattoos in my profile if you'd care to see it.

You sure that can be completely covered by your hand? Your fingers and thumb together? The atheist tattoo looks pretty long. If your hand covers it you must have bear paws.

As you said in an earlier post the Marine Corps isn't hurting for bodies right now, so the most qualified individuals will get through first, the wannabes requiring a waiver will be put on back burner.

Set up an appt with your recruiter and go pay him a visit to address your concerns.

Credits
    Savings
    It's not that the tattoo is big it's that I have tiny forearms! This is a pic I just took of me covering the Atheist.

Go see your recruiter and remind him that you still exist and are still interested. In a couple months the new fiscal year begins and the new batch of job contracts will become available. It's possible that he hasn't seemed very proactive because their office has met mission for now and is waiting for the fiscal year to roll over.

MMMmmmm....based on the size of those, I'll bet that's a waiver that will NOT be approved. As someone else said, it's not what they 'say' as much as how BIG they are. (Not how big your arms are but how much space they cover...)

Agree with Beltayn as well.

But I think you are looking at cosmetic removal.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks a lot Marines, I knew what I was getting into when I got the tats, should of thought out the placement a little better.

I might try the recruiter one more time, if not there is always another branch I can gladly serve in, army could care less about how unprofessional I look.

All comments we're appreciated, Thank you again!

is that another tattoo on the back of your right forearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    MMMmmmm....based on the size of those, I'll bet that's a waiver that will NOT be approved. As someone else said, it's not what they 'say' as much as how BIG they are. (Not how big your arms are but how much space they cover...)

Agree with Beltayn as well.

But I think you are looking at cosmetic removal.
    Depends on what level of tattoo waiver... Size, location, quantity, content as well as the "whole-person-content" all contribute. Also depends on what Marine Corps Recruiting District you are in...

How many tattoos do you have?

What is the content?

What is the location?

How many are visible in PT gear?

Any moral or drug involvement?

ASVAB score? Partial IST score? Education? Extra-curricular activities?

is that another tattoo on the back of your right forearm?
    yep, looks like a cross, a balanced diet

Thread Information