College and Enlisted
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

College and Enlisted

I have a question that I have been wondering for a while now. I previously wanted to become a US Marine Officer by going through PLC during College, but now just looking at all the Marines I know and how they speak of Officers who obtained their commision through college I would rather become enlisted and if I am worthy to become an officer I will. My plan at the moment is to enlist at 18 and then spend some time in the Corps then go to VCU, but can I still be an enlisted man and graduate college with a 4-Year degree and stay as enlisted? Or am I required to become an officer. I know a Master Gunnery Sergeant in the Food Services, a First Sergeant who was in Artillery, a Captain in the infantry, and a Corporal who was in the infantry. The way they speak of officers who obtained their commision through college is not the best except the few that gained their respect, and I made my decision to become enlisted. So could I do college and stay enlisted?

Just because you go to college doesn't mean you're automatically an officer. You are required to go to OCS if you don't go to the Naval Academy. There are bad officers and there are good ones, just as there are good and bad enlisted. Most of the SNCOs that I know have their 4 year degrees, but they choose to stay on the enlisted side because that is where they believe the Corps needs them. If you want to become an officer great, if not then you can make your way up the enlisted ranks.

Respect has to be earned by officers as much as it has to be earned by the NCOs and SNCOs. New lieutenants who are arrogant and "all knowing" will definitely fail. Leadership, ability, and competence are equally required to earn the respect of those under your command.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Warsmith View Post
    I have a question that I have been wondering for a while now. I previously wanted to become a US Marine Officer by going through PLC during College, but now just looking at all the Marines I know and how they speak of Officers who obtained their commision through college I would rather become enlisted and if I am worthy to become an officer I will. My plan at the moment is to enlist at 18 and then spend some time in the Corps then go to VCU, but can I still be an enlisted man and graduate college with a 4-Year degree and stay as enlisted? Or am I required to become an officer. I know a Master Gunnery Sergeant in the Food Services, a First Sergeant who was in Artillery, a Captain in the infantry, and a Corporal who was in the infantry. The way they speak of officers who obtained their commision through college is not the best except the few that gained their respect, and I made my decision to become enlisted. So could I do college and stay enlisted?
    Your question is somewhat convoluted.

Yes, you may enlist with a college degree (many do). No, you do NOT have to take a commission once you get a college degree (many don't). In fact, you can have a doctorate and still be an enlisted person. It matters not. Yes, I do know an enlisted person who had a doctorate and several who had masters degrees. They had no interest in being officers.

However, if you DO want a commission, you must have a bachelors degree, minimum.

There are several ways to get a commission through college: One is to join Naval ROTC and apply for the Marine Option (not easy to get). Second is to apply for the Platoon Leaders Class (PLC) and attend OCS during your sophomore and junior summers. Or, you can finish college and apply for OCS. A fourth option is to go to the Naval Academy and apply for a Marine Option slot (not easy to get).

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the answer Marines. My mother wants me to become an officer and despises me become enlisted, but from who I have spoken too, enlisted is my way. I just wanted to know that. Infantry is my way, so she wont be happy at all, but I sure as hell will be.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warsmith View Post
    Thank you for the answer Marines. My mother wants me to become an officer and despises me become enlisted, but from who I have spoken too, enlisted is my way. I just wanted to know that. Infantry is my way, so she wont be happy at all, but I sure as hell will be.
    its note her life that she has to live, its yours.

Being enlisted vs. officer is strictly a personal decision really, I had a PLC package going a few years ago but did not end up going because I had to quit school (couldn't afford it). I decided to just enlist and wills till finish school here soon. I thought about still going to OCS but recently decided that I would rather be a locked on NCO and SNCO than be an officer. An NCO is going to have a lot more hands on time with his/her Marines than an officer will. While I believe being an office would be a better career move, being an NCO is the way to go if you really want to mentor and lead Marines.

Thread Information