Question ????
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question ????

Question ????

I have always heard that if you Live East of the Mississippi,you go to Parris Island, South Carolina for Boot Camp in My case I did so, long with several Men. And if you Live West of the Mississippi you go to San Diego California for Boot Camp . So let hear from you does that hold true or what?
    Lets keep it simple and clean.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....Billy-Bob....in '66, things were really BOOMING in RVN, so the Navy sent lot's of recruits to San Diego. LUCKY ME!!.....also went to "Corpse-man" School in S.D. that's where I thimk I became a nasty drunk, looking for a fight in every dam bar.....GUESS WHAT??.....got what I deserved.....HA! HA! HA!
    AAHHHHHHH.....the good ol' days......NOT!......

I believe that was the case. The east/west of the Mississippi idea. But I have heard of Recruits putting in special requests to be sent to the other if they had a family member there that was a DI.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I believe if one of your family members was a PI Marine you can put in a request to go there even if you are west of the Miss. It all kind of depends on the recruiters district though too, there was numerous recruits when I was at boot in SD that were from Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Arkansas which are east of the Miss.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think it is a coin toss for some states like Illinois and Michigan but in general the big river is the decider unless you are a girl. I have also read that if you have a legacy such as an uncle or father that went through a particular boot you can ask to do the same regardless of your locale. Not always granted but it is possible. Boot camp is boot camp regardless of the coast you attend it on. There is a very good chance that your PI drill instructor attended boot camp in San Diego and vice versa.

I don't know if there is a hard and fast rule about it. Of the Jarheads I personally know, and the ones I've met on line, I only know one exception; He was born in New York, and moved to Minnesota. He went to Paris Island. He lived west of the Mississippi.

And DocGreek... Some of the most entertaining evenings of my life were due to a Navy Corpsmen. To this day, I'm not sure if the fine folk that were accused actually committed the offenses, but when the guy that's gonna stuff the guts back in me is in harms way, well... A good time was had by all.

I lived in Indianapolis and went to S.D., they asked where I wanted to go.

I joined at the recruiting office in Waco, Tx.
    The Ssgt. asked me where I wanted to go to Boot.
    SanDiego or Parris Island. Chose S.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytcbra96 View Post
    I lived in Indianapolis and went to S.D., they asked where I wanted to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny C Smith
    I joined at the recruiting office in Waco, Tx.
    The Ssgt. asked me where I wanted to go to Boot.
    SanDiego or Parris Island. Chose S.D.
    So if you live west of the big creek you get a choice?

Damn.

ehh wouldn't have changed anything for me but interesting to know.

SD or PI

I always heard it the other way, east of the Mississippi and you go to San Diego, west of the Mississippi and you go to Parris Island. The reasoning or rationale was to break home ties. I've never read anything to confirm that but it was common scuttlebutt when I was in from 66-70.

Quote Originally Posted by marine1955 View Post
    I have always heard that if you Live East of the Mississippi,you go to Parris Island, South Carolina for Boot Camp in My case I did so, long with several Men. And if you Live West of the Mississippi you go to San Diego California for Boot Camp . So let hear from you does that hold true or what?
    Lets keep it simple and clean.

the only time I've heard somebody that lived on the west coast go to PI was when he and his wife joined at the same time and went to boot camp at the same time. other then that east of Ol' miss goes to PI and west of Ol' Miss goes to SD. the river not the college lol.

Here is how it works gents. It is actually based on where you attended for Military Entrance Processing. I live in Illinois, and when I turned 18 I went to MEPS in Des Moines Iowa across the river. Hence I went to MCRD, San Diego, thats how it works.

My father's good friend at work had been drafted into the Marine Corps and sent to San Diego. I enlisted out of Detroit MEPS, and asked for San Diego just because of that reason.

They sent me, no issues.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Noticed when folks have a choice, they chose SD. Wonder why. Hooray for Hollywood.

In 65 I and three others went together from KS we were told all those west went to SD those east went PI

Thread Information