When are the Marines gonna pull out of Afghanistan?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When are the Marines gonna pull out of Afghanistan?

Good morning Marines,

my shipdate is 20110606 so i don't know exactly when i'll graduate, finish with ITB/MCT (haven't gotten OccFld yet) and then MOS school. I want to be able to get in there and fight. Will i be too late?

This situation is like one i read in James Brady's "Why Marines Fight"

I don't remember the Marine's name, but he gave up going to college because he didn't want the war to be over by the time he graduated. (WWII)

oorah

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1) DONT use oohrah, you havent earned it. 2) whats your projected MOS? deployments depend on that 3) You've got a long time before you ship, who knows. But the way it looks, you'll get a chance.

1) i dont care if you use oohrah 2) your mos wont matter you can volunteer for spaces to deploy. 3) the pull out date is in 2014 so there will be a chance

but as they say afghanistan is 1000 years behind iraq its going to be awhile till we can get them on there feet again.

and just answear the kids question he is motivated let it be these are the type of guys we want with us if you break there spirit now you give them a bad tast in there mouth. but kid you will get to the fight trust me there will be alot of chances to go.

Stick around long enough and there will always be a fight to get into. Just worry about getting through bootcamp and learning your job at your follow on school. You won't get to volunteer for anything if you're not tactically proficiant at your job.

Superman, I agree with you to an extent. I'm willing to cut these poolee's some slack but they do need to understand that they shouldn't go around screaming Ooo-rah and Semper Fi. They need to go through bootcamp and understand what those words really mean first. Learn about our Corps' proud history and why we as Marines say those words. There's nothing wrong with telling these kids they don't rate to say it yet. If they get offended by that and quit wanting to be a Marine because of it, then they picked the wrong branch to begin with and probably weren't going to cut it in boocamp to begin with. Just my opinion.

Who knows what it will light over there in 2 years, however I'm sure we'll still be over there. If for some reason you miss it, just like 0231Marine said, stick around a little bit and there will be another war. Just take a look at current events and you should be able to figure it out.

Cunningham,
    I don't care if you are a Marine during a war or a peacetime Marine. Your job will be important and necessary.
    I keep hearing poolees and wanna-bes aching to go into battle but I have to tell you, it is not like what you see on TV or experience in video games. Sights, sounds, smells, pain, at at times.... some of the greatest sorrow you will ever experience. If the war continues, you have a good chance of going depending on your MOS and the requirements of the Corps.
    If you want to be a Marine, then become a Marine for the right reasons. Become a Marine because you want to protect and serve. Become a Marine because you want to be one of the best and because you want to follow the traditions that have been the foundation of the Marine Corps since 1775.
    A Marine does not want war but a Marine will fight when directed by the CIC and his superiors.
    Focus on getting in mental, physical, and emotional shape. Prepare for being the best and becoming one of the best. The rest will take care of itself.

As for everything else, Dr Z hit the nail on the head. Don't worry about "getting in the fight". Most Marines will never see direct combat though most will have a deployment under their belt. Just do the job and if the opportunity comes it comes but this gung ho attitude about putting rounds downrange is more likely to get people hurt than it is to accomplish a mission. If you're a supporting MOS then support the grunts to the best of your ability. Don't give a hoot when they call you a pogue, they know ******* well that not one grunt in the whole organization would ever go into combat without his armorers making sure his weapon worked, his air wing and arty watching his back, his mechanics keeping the humvees running and his admin clerks making sure his DFAS goes through.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 08-03-10 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Because there were non helpful sections....you know the rules bro..

Fatty- You currently set a horrible example for all Poolees and Wannabes here. PM inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    Plz. No one learned what "oorah" meant in boot camp. No one even knows what it means. No one even says it until after SOI and then just uses it instead of the proper greeting of the day because it's easier than "good afternoon". That and it becomes "rah" or "rrr" at best.

as for semper fidelis, the phrase has existed for hundreds of years before the marine corps ever existed and three minutes on google will tell him why we say it. what-frakking-ever. if a poolee wants to say that moto stuff, let him. no one has to "rate" to say anything at all. if they say it in boot camp they'll pretty damn quickly not to but no one here is a drill instructor so lay off the kids. it's not a big deal.
    This coming from the guy who has his name listed as Seymor Butts. It's pretty obvious to me that you failed to learn things like Corps Values and what it really means to be a Marine. Yes, I realize that Semper Fidelis has been around long before the Marine Corps was. That doesn't change the fact that it is something the Marine Corps adopted as their monikur. There is more to those two words than the dictionary definition.

Also, you might want to try and not write like a 10 year old from now on. You make yourself look stupid when you write like that and it makes you come across as very immature. I'm sure you'll disregard that suggestion since you're obviously the kind of guy that thinks everything is just a joke. I mean really, who needs to capitalize Marine Corps anyways? It's not like it's our title or the organization that I'm proud to be a part of.

Just my opinion.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Covey,,,,some things you gotta ignore. Don't feed the troll.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 08-03-10 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Pertinent data left

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    This coming from the guy who has his name listed as Seymor Butts. It's pretty obvious to me that you failed to learn things like Corps Values and what it really means to be a Marine. Yes, I realize that Semper Fidelis has been around long before the Marine Corps was. That doesn't change the fact that it is something the Marine Corps adopted as their monikur. There is more to those two words than the dictionary definition.

Also, you might want to try and not write like a 10 year old from now on. You make yourself look stupid when you write like that and it makes you come across as very immature. I'm sure you'll disregard that suggestion since you're obviously the kind of guy that thinks everything is just a joke. I mean really, who needs to capitalize Marine Corps anyways? It's not like it's our title or the organization that I'm proud to be a part of.

Just my opinion.
    Yes and plenty of Marines here have other silly things in their profile. So.

I learned my core values. One of them involves honesty so I feel that in contrast to all the motivation present here these poolees need to see that some Marines aren't as hard up about certain things as some people here. There are more important things for him to worry about than whether or not he can say oorah. Maybe throw in a little courage for being one of the few people to stand up and try to help poolees and wannabees out with genuine answers because lord knows few people ever read rules about filling out profiles before they join a forum.

Newsflash: no one here is a drill instructor. It's not anyone's responsibility to life some poolee because he doesn't "rate". If he says semper fi in boot camp, he'll learn. But people ragging on them about it here and then channeling the campaign cover like forum demeanor is somehow interlinked with one's real life temperament reminds me of the ridiculous brand new PFCs and lance cocos on RA trying to put on a "kill voice" during poolee functions.

While the Marine Corps has adopted "semper fidelis" as our motto/moniker it still doesn't give us exclusive rights over it. There are various family crests that include the phrase; should such people not be allowed to say it because they haven't gone through boot camp yet despite that it's been a part of their family history for twice as long as the Corps has even existed? Hell, we disrespect the motto ourselves by saying "fi" instead of "fidelis". Fi doesn't mean anything so if it's about honoring the Marine Corps that I'm just as proud of then why don't we start saying the whole thing from now on. Deal?

How's that a ten year old?

Do not ever be ashamed or slink away because you want to fight. Because you want combat.

And do not listen to anyone that says that Marines do not look forward to combat. Many do. The others can speak for themselves. But they can't speak for those that do.

I saw far to many happy and rearing to go Marines and Docs on their way over to VN on the troop ship we were on.

I saw far to many raise their hand to go to VN. I also so many avoid VN as best they could.

I saw them reenlist after they were home having finished their 4 years and came back in just for a chance at VN. And then as they walked off the plane they are raising their hand for Recon.

And what is it like in the tent back in the day when the word came down that the next operation or mission might be a really bad one? The most upbeat and happy Marines I have ever seen.

Before Taut Bow, which the wags were referring to as a Body Bag Operation (they would be filling lots of body bags with Marines and Docs) The sick got well, the lame were healed, and one polish nut case canceled his 5 day R&R to go out with us.

Happy upbeat Marines.

Now wanting to go when you have never been is one thing. What you think about it all after you have been may be something entirely different. But that will unfold in time.

The Corps needs more like you. Not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham6199 View Post
    Good morning Marines,

my shipdate is 20110606 so i don't know exactly when i'll graduate, finish with ITB/MCT (haven't gotten OccFld yet) and then MOS school. I want to be able to get in there and fight. Will i be too late?

This situation is like one i read in James Brady's "Why Marines Fight"

I don't remember the Marine's name, but he gave up going to college because he didn't want the war to be over by the time he graduated. (WWII)

oorah
    When you get there, you can yell OORAH and scare hell out of them and the fighting will immediately cease.

Cunningham, the pullout from Afghanistan is supposed to begin next year. When that pullout will be over-I don't know.

I'd suggest googling "when will the U.S. leave Afghanistan" for more information.

Thread Information