Need help for 1 Yr Workout Plan! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Those are the ones on military dot com right?

Good Squire-that sounds good lol just dont get to big.

PARKER93-no offense or anything but stew smith was a navy seal not a Recon Marine or a Marine at all for that matter, I tried some of his workouts and they were crap i didnt improve at all. he did train with Recon Marines but he wasnt a Recon Marine so he doesnt know exactly what they go through just bits and pieces. So for Recon I think id ask an actual Marine that is Recon.
    Navy seals deal alot with water and Recon Marines hide out and study a certain area for a period of time. What ive heard and know about it all is that Navy seals are mainly water and Recon is just all combined. I think it was on here even i was looking at a Recon Marine and a Navy Seal talking about which is better and they BOTH came to the same conclusion that Recon is actually a little more well trained than a Navy Seal.

The workout I'm doing is off of Stewsmith.com, Iv'e also done his OCS workout which is great.

Berts78-No offense taken. Iv'e talked to people that have used the same workout, and the workout is designed to ace the indoc and PFT that ill be going through. And I agree with you on the Recon vs. Navy Seal, depending on the job they are performing.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Berts are you implying that a Navy seal wouldnt be able to give fitness advice relevant to Recon training? The two programs are very similar in there fitness requirments and recon Marines spend a great deal of time in the water.

I personally think stews workouts are very good, they focus heavily on body weight exercise and building serious cardio strength...

Its not bench presses or curls or any other weight lifting that will get you best prepared, its building raw funtional strength. I will take someone who trains in a manner similar to stews workout than someone who trains with weights.

Quote Originally Posted by almostaPOOLEE View Post
    I'm going to be in DEP program for another year because of high school. Now i would say I'm fit right now, ill list what i get on my IST(initial strength test) below. What I'm really looking forward to use is a really good workout plan. Now i have an ID to use the gym on base, they have weight machines, treadmills, pullup bar, etc. So any good workout would be good.

I am kinda looking for a long term plan. Not no 2week thing. Also i tried looking up all over the internet even on google to find a good plan and couldn't find one. So please, the help would be greatly appreciated.

IST:

Pullups - 18/19

Crunches - 105

1.5Mile Run - 11:ish

Other info:

Weight: 135lbs (i know very light but trust i can handle it)
    Height: 5'10
    -----------------------------------

Seems to me like you're good to go as it stands right now, you'll be at 20 in no time. I wouldn't sweat the weight thing. It's hard for skinny people like us to gain weight (I'm 141 at, 5'8) but once you start hitting the gym on a constant basis you'll be amazed at how your arms start to structure. Looks like the only thing you need to work on is your Run. I do a lot of speed training, like Indian runs for for 3 miles with 5 or more people, and running at full sprint, then pacing, then sprinting..it works for me, and I usually run 8 miles every other day...doing 4 miles at Prospect park, waiting about 5 to 7 minutes and then running again. If you run on hill-based regions constantly, you'll find it easy to run a regular 1.5 or 3 miles of straight asphalt. But work on your stamina because it's better to be a wolf then a cheetah. (A cheetah runs at incredible bursts for short periods of time before burning out, a wolf can run all day, endlessly, without tiring.)

IST:

Pull-ups - 16
    Crunches - 97
    Run-time for 1.5 - 9:50

Quote Originally Posted by PARKER93 View Post
    The workout I'm doing is off of Stewsmith.com, Iv'e also done his OCS workout which is great.

Berts78-No offense taken. Iv'e talked to people that have used the same workout, and the workout is designed to ace the indoc and PFT that ill be going through. And I agree with you on the Recon vs. Navy Seal, depending on the job they are performing.
    But I do think ill go check out that workout and try it just for fun.(it is a workout cant be to bad)

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Berts are you implying that a Navy seal wouldnt be able to give fitness advice relevant to Recon training? The two programs are very similar in there fitness requirments and recon Marines spend a great deal of time in the water.

I personally think stews workouts are very good, they focus heavily on body weight exercise and building serious cardio strength...

Its not bench presses or curls or any other weight lifting that will get you best prepared, its building raw funtional strength. I will take someone who trains in a manner similar to stews workout than someone who trains with weights.
    DJD- honestly i would have to agree with you. and what do i know im just a poolee lol. yeah i tried some of his workouts and i guess they just werent for me but im sure they work for others very well.

So should I keep squatting? lol I've also heard that having excess leg muscle(have that) can be bad for 0311(what I want) because they run all the time. I am in such a dilemma about working out it's not even funny.

just run no leg workouts really maybe wall squats?

Alright cool. Thanks man.

As for an actual workout routine that is already set and proven... Check out this book. "The Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness" by Stew Smith. Dude this is intense but with your IST you should be able to handle it. The only thing is that on certain days there is a swimming routine. If you have no access to it do not worry about it, it will help you on the swim in MCRD however, it breaks everything down with proper technique and everything.

Have anyone of you guys ever heard of Crossfit? This looks interesting, apparently lots of Marines use it as well.

www.crossfit.com

I am not going to say that it is not "good" for ones health seeing as many of the exercises are basic calisthenics anyhow. However, there are certain things that will actually do more harm than good in the long run, Kipping, jerking, ect.

im gunna check that stuff out to thanks. whats helped me tremendiously also is www.oo-rah.com if you guys wanna try some of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Squire View Post
    So should I keep squatting? lol I've also heard that having excess leg muscle(have that) can be bad for 0311(what I want) because they run all the time. I am in such a dilemma about working out it's not even funny.
    Okay look man...youre worrying about this way too much. Yes infantry runs alot but they also ruck alot and really the key to being good at rucking and running is strong legs. But the main thing is that you have to also focus on endurance because if you only have strength your legs wont last as long. Like you said earlier that you already have strong leg muscles then I would keep squatting at a minimum. One of the best training tools you could use to train to go infantry would be rucking. You can pick up an ALICE pack at a surplus store. Start rucking with around 30 pounds then build up to 50-60. The cool thing is about this is that maybe you wanna ruck 3 miles then stop and do pt with your ruck (ex. squats, lunges, pushups...whatever you can think of but in many sets with many reps to build muscle endurance) then ruck back 3 miles. This way your working your cardio, strength, and endurance at the same time But still dont forget running because theyll be running you without weight too...hope that helps

Thread Information