My Father the Marine
Create Post

My Father the Marine

My fathers name was Archie Joseph Gaxiola Jr. he was in the MARINES for 3 years and served in Vietnam for 1 of those years. My father was always proud to be a MARINE and serve his country with the best. My fathers entry into the MARINES was not normal to many. My Fathers younger brother joined the ARMY and volunteered for Vietnam. My Father being the oldest felt that he should go in the place of his brother because he was the oldest. My Father met with the Honorable Bob Mathias and the Governor of California to ask for a switch with his brother. After granted permission my Uncle was pulled and my Father met up with him in South Vietnam for a greet and send off for my Uncle.

My Father never talked much about his services with my sister or I until his last few days. My father passed away on April 29, 2010 from liver and kidney failure. As we go through my Fathers military records we are amazed to see the accomplishments and bravery my Father had. Like the many of you that have seen combat, Thank You is not enough. War changes the soul, as for my Father I never got the chance to see who he really was as a person before he suffered mental and physical damage to his body. My Father was never quite in saying I Love You to his wife, children, and grandchildren.

As his son I feel it is my duty to make sure his memory forever lives. In doing so I'm putting his flag and medals together. I'm having a difficult time in finding his marksmanship badges. Does anyone know the way I can go about in receiving these are knowing which ones to buy if they are not provided by VA.

Thank You,
    Archie Joseph Gaxiola 3

The link below is the slideshow I put together for my Fathers funeral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCTvP0jMHs.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    RIP, Marine. You made a good family there.

Your Dad has reported to his next duty station to stand his post with my Dad, and many others. He is in good company.

Semper Fi to you and yours. Sympathy and prayers sent.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your dad can now rest. Job well done Marine. He will now guard the gates of heaven.

Simper Fi Always.

RIP Marine, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information