Shin Splints
Create Post

Thread: Shin Splints

Shin Splints

I ship 20100816, and have recently developed shin splints. Should I rest from running until I have completely healed or run on them anyways? 1.5 Mile run is 9:17 right now. I run 4 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee2010 View Post
    I run 4 miles a day, 5 days a week.
    That's why you developed shin splints man. You're putting too much stress on yourself. But anyways, as far as your question goes... yeah, give it time to heal. Running on shin splints two weeks before you ship makes no sense.

Take a rest from running for a little bit. Running with shin splints can cause you to develop tibial stress fractures if you're not careful, and that will definitely set you back in training if not disqualify you.

For now, I'd say use some cold therapy and apply ice every now and then (10-15 minutes at a time) to help with pain and inflammation - low doses of acetaminophen or ibuprofen will help with this also. When you aren't applying ice, do some stretches for your lower legs (calf stretches, ankle rotations, etc) and before you do any kind of running make sure you have a good 5-10 minute warm-up beforehand. Lastly, get some shock-absorbing insoles for your shoes, they will help.

If you don't feel comfortable with halting your routine altogether, go for light, low-mileage jogs only a couple times a week. If you're still hurting, stop running for a period of time, and go swimming instead. Running in the water wouldn't hurt you either. If a pool isn't available, try biking/cycling.

Hopefully you find some of this helpful. Best of luck to you.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I had Shin Splints a while back as well. I showed up to PT to try and 'Run them off'. We started the run and I made it about 600 Yards before I had to call it quits.

The best thing to do is to let it heal and stretch daily.. Best of luck to you in getting back to normal health.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee2010 View Post
    I ship 20100816, and have recently developed shin splints. Should I rest from running until I have completely healed or run on them anyways? 1.5 Mile run is 9:17 right now. I run 4 miles a day, 5 days a week.

I started running 5 miles and with a cross country runner from high school to help me and I took the weekend off and ran right away 4 and a half miles coming back into it, and I got shin splints. What helped me within just a week and a few days honestly...
    Ice your shins for 20min. wait about 5min. and fill up the tub with real hot water and go in their for about 10-15min. and then wait another 5min. and then ice them again for 20min. and take the next day off of running and do this 2times that day you took off. The next day only run 2miles and then build your way back up and you will be fine.
    Also I had a friend tell me moving your foot up and down helps but I tried it and didn't see any results so whatever works for you. Good Luck.

I got rid of my shin splints by changing the shoes I wear. I went from wearing addidas to nike flats. I also reduced my 1.5 mile by 3 minutes.

Good luck to the other poolees!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboardbox View Post
    I got rid of my shin splints by changing the shoes I wear. I went from wearing addidas to nike flats. I also reduced my 1.5 mile by 3 minutes.

Good luck to the other poolees!

What kind of nike flats? Theres so many different kinds.

I have shin splints as well, I really don't know how well my legs will hold up in boot camp.

The biggest thing that helped me was my running technique. When you pick up your foot let your ancles be loose and your toes should be pointing towards the ground. A lot of people pick up their feet and keep them parallell to the ground and this tightens the muscle that causes shin splints.

Quote Originally Posted by BassPro0007 View Post
    The biggest thing that helped me was my running technique. When you pick up your foot let your ancles be loose and your toes should be pointing towards the ground. A lot of people pick up their feet and keep them parallell to the ground and this tightens the muscle that causes shin splints.
    This is very true, Lt. Wiggins (a Marine that PTs with us every Saturday) told me to let the front of my foot hit the ground before my heel does. It increases your stamina by a lot and doesn't cause shin splints!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboardbox View Post
    This is very true, Lt. Wiggins (a Marine that PTs with us every Saturday) told me to let the front of my foot hit the ground before my heel does. It increases your stamina by a lot and doesn't cause shin splints!
    Running on the ball of your foot as opposed to running heel-to-toe is also a more natural running form. When you run barefoot, your body will try to do this automatically. You may feel a real burn in your calves if you're not use to the form, but it's better than shin splints.

I used to run sprints in football on the ball of my foot and got horrible shin splints. From the three years of running sprints(I quit for my upcoming senior year, don't need any more injuries)I now have a terrible run time and constant pain. I guess it all depends on the individual, but landing around the midfoot with moderate heel contact and rolling off the forefoot seems to be the best for me and my recovery effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Squire View Post
    I used to run sprints in football on the ball of my foot and got horrible shin splints. From the three years of running sprints(I quit for my upcoming senior year, don't need any more injuries)I now have a terrible run time and constant pain. I guess it all depends on the individual, but landing around the midfoot with moderate heel contact and rolling off the forefoot seems to be the best for me and my recovery effort.

Wow Good Squire that really sucks man. so are you meaning you have like perniment shin splints?
    my sofmore year i ran long distance in track vasity and then i got alot faster and my junior year went to be a sprinter and prly the 3rd day of practice i pulled my quad hardcore and had to go long distance the rest of the year and didnt even start i was horrible and i got shin splints then my senior year i did the same thing but it was my other quad and hamstring and had shin splints and a terribly rolled anckle i went to the coach and told him i would just slow them down and had to quit it sucked. but what i did to get rid of my shin splints was-have you ever taken an ice bath? wear some compression shorts in an ice bath for 20min and then go stright to a hott one for 20min and then backt o the ice bath it sucks but your shins should feel better afterwords. also what helped me from getting them back was starting my runs low and working my way up and even running some little runs here and there. let me know if that helps?

Thread Information