Things You Don't Hear Anymore
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Things You Don't Hear Anymore

THINGS YOU DON'T HEAR ANYMORE

*Be sure to refill the ice trays, we ' re going to have company.

*Watch for the mailman, I want to get this letter to Willie in the mail today.

*Quit slamming the screen door when you go out!

*Be sure and pull the windows down when you leave, it looks like a shower is coming up.

*Don't forget to wind the clock before you go to bed.

*Wash your feet before you go to bed, you've been playing outside all day barefooted.

*Why can't you remember to roll up your britches legs? Getting them caught in the bicycle chain so many times is tearing them up. You have torn the knees out of that pair of pants so many times there is nothing left to put a patch on.

*Don't you go outside with your school clothes on!

*Go comb your hair; it looks like the rats have nested in it all night.

*Be sure and pour the cream off the top of the milk when you open the new bottle.

*Take that empty bottle to the store with you so you won't have to pay a deposit on another one.

*Put a dish towel over the cake so the flies won't get on it.

*Quit jumping on the floor! I have a cake in the oven and you are going to make it fall if you don't quit!

*Let me know when the Fuller Brush man comes by, I need to get a few things from him.

*You boys stay close by, the car may not start and I will need you to help push it off.

*There's a dollar in my purse, get 5 gallons of gas when you go to town.

*Open the back door and see if we can get a breeze through here, it is getting hot.

*You can walk to the store; it won't hurt you to get some exercise.

*Don't sit too close to the TV. It is hard on your eyes.

*If you pull that stunt again, I am going to wear you out! Don't lose that button; I'll sew it back on after awhile.

*Wash under your neck before you come to the table, you have beads of dirt and sweat all under there.

*Get out from under the sewing machine; pumping it messes up the thread!

*Be sure and fill the lamps this morning so we don't have to do that tonight in the dark.

*Here, take this old magazine to the toilet with you when you go, we are almost out of paper out there.

*Go out to the well and draw a bucket of water so I can wash dishes.

*Don't turn the radio on now, I want the battery to be up when the Grand Ole Opry comes on.

*No! I don't have 10 cents for you to go to the show. Do you think money grows on trees?

*Eat those turnips, they'll make you big and strong like your daddy.

*That dog is NOT coming in this house! I don't care how cold it is out there, dogs don't stay in the house.

*Sit still! I'm trying to get your hair cut straight and you keep moving and it is all messed up.

*Hush your mouth! I don't want to hear words like that! I'll wash your mouth out with soap!

*It is time for your system to be cleaned out. I am going to give you a dose of castor oil tonight.

*If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you'll get another one when you get home.

*Quit crossing your eyes! They will get stuck that way!

*Soak your foot in this pan of kerosene so that bad cut won't get infected.

*When you take your driving test, don't forget to signal each turn. Left arm straight out the window for a left turn; left arm bent up at the
    elbow for a right turn; and straight down to the side of the door when you are going to stop.

*It's: ' Yes Ma'am! ' and ' No Ma'am! ' to me, young man, and don't you forget it!

You kids be home when the street lights come on.

Eat all your vegetables. People are starving in China.

Be sure to go to the Standard station for gas. I need some more of their glasses.

Help me get the clothes in off the line. It looks line rain.

Take this lard with you when you go to the butcher so that he can render it.

Give this dime to your teacher today so that you can buy another savings stamp toward your war bond.

Will one of you kids squeeze this oleomargarine bag so that the color spreads through it?

Put that BB gun away. You're going to put someone's eye out.

I don't know where you put your skate key. If you expect to go roller skating, you have to take better care of your things.

Take these shoes to the shoemaker and have him put Cats' Paws half soles on them and cleats on the heels.

If you are going out put on clean underwear in case you have an accident and have to go to the doctor.

"Wait till your father gets home."

Credits
    Savings

America

God Bless America !! Moz

extra! Extra! Read All About It .............

Speaking of Outhouses .

You could tell where people stood in local society, by the number of seats they had in their outhouses. We had three, two for adults, and one for kids. Please, don't ask !! S/F!!! Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    You could tell where people stood in local society, by the number of seats they had in their outhouses. We had three, two for adults, and one for kids. Please, don't ask !! S/F!!! Ken
    Ours was a one holer, one size fit all.
    I reckon we were poor folks that didn't quite know it.
    The one at the Church had three though.
    I was very young at this time maybe 5 or 6 but I do remember it well.
    Again, don't ask. Please. LOL

Marine Family Free Member DevsDad's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I only need 2 more books of green stamps for a new coffee pot.
    I allmost have a full set of dishes, I hope they dont stop giving them away before next payday when I get groceries

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Great thread Chuck

To this day I can still hear my Mom saying "turn out that light. we're not keeping Eddison" Still confused about that one LOL

Here's an old one "All Aboard" at an airport!!

Mail twice a day! It did happen

Cobblers

Women hat stores

Air Mail Stamps

Long distance operators LOL

" Number please?"

Two or three local TV stations and you were trans-fixed

Typewriters and carbon copies

Oh I could go on but I'm sure there are many more memories from all on here

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Wait for me to go to the feed store with you,I want to pick out the feed sack with the pretty flowers on it.

I always buy this soap because it has the nicest dinner plates in it.

And don't forget to check the tires and make sure you replace those dust caps on the valve stems after you put in the $3.00 worth of gas.

Hurry home from school, you can still pick 600 lbs of cotton before dark.

If you cough one more time, you'll get a spoonful of kerosene with sugar.

Take those shoes off when you get home from school, don't want to wear them out. It summer you go barefooted.

Be careful, those are your Sunday-Go-To-Meetin' clothes.

Behave our you can't read the funny paper next Sunday.

Here's your quarter for the picture show, popcorn and coke. Make sure you bring me back the change.

Get a haircut, you look like a girl!!!!

Make sure you lock the door on the pickup when you get to school, you don't want somebody to steal the rifle in the back window rack.

Be careful driving that pickup with all those kids in the back, somebody could fall out accidentally.

Go get me a switch off that peach tree, you gonna get a whoopin'. Make sure its big enough our you'll have to go back until you get a bigun'.

Go get the razor strap, you got a whoopin' commin'.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am not even that old but I remember hearing a majority of those from someone in my family when I was growing up.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Saturday afternoon movies. Where fifty cents got you into a double feature with cartoons. Big box of popcorn was 25 cents LOL.

To all of you who read this under 30, yes it's the truth. It's the way it was. But y'all will will be dreaming how great things were in 2010 in 2040 LOL

Time passes

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Saturday afternoon movies. Where fifty cents got you into a double feature with cartoons. Big box of popcorn was 25 cents LOL.

To all of you who read this under 30, yes it's the truth. It's the way it was. But y'all will will be dreaming how great things were in 2010 in 2040 LOL

Time passes
    I am under 30 and I heard a lot of this/was used to this, very correct though...

Hell I remember filling up gas in my truck in HS at $0.89/gallon. There never used to be a need for a dollar menu at the fast food chains because everything was still cheap enough anyway.

The the generation gaps between even similar ages is amazing sometimes. It all depends on where you lived/grew up though too

Old times .

I was laid off from my driving job, so I went to work in a gas station. Try these:
    Check your oil, Sir ?
    Fill it up, Ma'am ?
    Let me check those tires for you , Sir.
    Let me get that windshield for you ,Ma'am.
    Thank you, Sir .
    The services were free, and the gas was $0.25, to $0.28 a gallon. Kinda brings tears to your eyes don't it ? OH yeah, Beer was a nickel a glass. S/F!!! Ken

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Check your oil, Sir ?
    Fill it up, Ma'am ?
    Let me check those tires for you , Sir.
    Let me get that windshield for you ,Ma'am.
    Thank you, Sir .
    The services were free, and the gas was $0.25, to $0.28 a gallon.

And free road maps to any where in the U.S.

Thread Information