Totally random questions about Marines Body Armor
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Totally random questions about Marines Body Armor

1. Are Motor T. Marines (those who operate vehicles, and perform BDAR) allowed to alter their Body Armor to make it "lighter"? (i.e. replace Sappi plates with square blocks of Styrofoam, and/or cut open the back seems to remove Kevlar from the rear portion of the vest, and switch it out with thick cardboard/Styrofoam)?

2. Are the trucks like the HEMT-T, and other vehicles like it difficult to move/out of?

3. Are Marines allowed to alter their equipment in any way to allow it to be "lighter"?

4. Can Marines make personal choices between speed and mobility, vs Physical protection and encumbrance?

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen to a Marine who did any of the above? Could said Marine do so with authorization of his Chain of Command?

Quote Originally Posted by Draco771 View Post
    1. Are Motor T. Marines (those who operate vehicles, and perform BDAR) allowed to alter their Body Armor to make it "lighter"? (i.e. replace Sappi plates with square blocks of Styrofoam, and/or cut open the back seems to remove Kevlar from the rear portion of the vest, and switch it out with thick cardboard/Styrofoam)?

2. Are the trucks like the HEMT-T, and other vehicles like it difficult to move/out of?

3. Are Marines allowed to alter their equipment in any way to allow it to be "lighter"?

4. Can Marines make personal choices between speed and mobility, vs Physical protection and encumbrance?

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen to a Marine who did any of the above? Could said Marine do so with authorization of his Chain of Command?
    Just going to say this as lightly as i can, If a Marine wants to remove their Sappi plates while in a combat zone is asking to die. also questions 1 and 3 are the same question! if you want to dump the bolt of your rifle to make it lighter be my guest, just don't expect me to drag you ass back to a medic if you get shot! also depending on how burn happy the command is, i can see SNM either getting a counseling or company level NJP!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Komenko View Post
    Just going to say this as lightly as i can, If a Marine wants to remove their Sappi plates while in a combat zone is asking to die. also questions 1 and 3 are the same question! if you want to dump the bolt of your rifle to make it lighter be my guest, just don't expect me to drag you ass back to a medic if you get shot! also depending on how burn happy the command is, i can see SNM either getting a counseling or company level NJP!
    Just thought I'd ask.

Not saying any of the above would be me, just heard some scuttlebutt and was curious if it's actually allowed.

If your motor-t why would you want to drop that crap anyway, your just gonna be cruising around? On a more serious note, you will be lighter and more agile if your going to be one of those cool SOCOM Motor-T guys, in which case you actually go shirtless and use your sword (you actually rate a sword right out of school cause all SOCOM motor-T guys are automatically commissioned), while strapped to the hood of a 7-ton.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    If your motor-t why would you want to drop that crap anyway, your just gonna be cruising around? On a more serious note, you will be lighter and more agile if your going to be one of those cool SOCOM Motor-T guys, in which case you actually go shirtless and use your sword (you actually rate a sword right out of school cause all SOCOM motor-T guys are automatically commissioned), while strapped to the hood of a 7-ton.

Mike
    Marine, you just made me spit my coffee all over my bed...

You're kidding right?

Marine, you just made me spit my coffee all over my bed...

You're kidding right?
    LMAO yes he is kidding!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Komenko View Post
    LMAO yes he is kidding!
    The thought of a Soldier/Marine on the front of a HEMT-T, shirtless with a sword, reminded me of the picture of the Somali Pirates holding the white guy hostage, with one of them aiming an RPG at point blank.

I thought of that immediately after he said that.

That's like the Iraqi Republican Guard Charging Delta Company after they crossed the Euphrates in motor cycles.

I'm rolling right now.

josephd
    Guest Free Member

Simply put....NO to all of the above

Sorry dude, its just that a Motor-T Operator, and an "Operator" aren't exactly the same thing.

Mike

If you want to be a suicide bomber, you are in the wrong line of work.

If you tear up or 'modify' your issued gear, I assure you you'll be paying for it. Or, rather, your next of kin will.

I wear a BP vest, and have done so dang near every day since 1988. Just deal with it.

Because your momma and loved ones aren't going to be too happy if you get torn up or worse, DEAD, and they get the letter "Dear Mr & Mrs Draco, the Defense Department regrets to inform you your son died because he was stupid".

If you were in my platoon and I caught you doing that crap, you'd learn how much fun it is to dig a complete anti-tank ditch.....then fill it in. While wearing all that stuff.

Get the picture?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    Sorry dude, its just that a Motor-T Operator, and an "Operator" aren't exactly the same thing.

Mike
    I understand Marine, it's totally cool.

I know Motor-T Operators are the truck drivers. which is why I had asked specifically.

due to a umm.... Hypothetical situation a Marine may have been recommended to do.

I got the answers I was looking for, and I sincerely appreciate the information.

And thank you Marine's. It's appreciated.

And Yes Sergeant.

And you may advise that Marine whose doing this that he is an idiot.

The Leprechaun sends....

Don't YOU frakkin do it.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes Sergeant.

And it's NOT because I'm ate the frak up, either. I don't want to see people get hurt/killed. It's not being 'risk averse' it's having some sense.

FYI, I routinely punch my LEO's in the chest or back to ensure they are wearing their vests. HARD.

I can only imagine that they would do this for any pog humps they have to do. It's not different than those times you have the salty Lance Corporals packing a pillow instead of the required gear list. But you would never do this if you were in a combat zone. You never know when IDF or a sniper is going to take a shot at you.

Thread Information