Military ID for DEP?
Create Post

Military ID for DEP?

A Guy I work with is joining the Air Force, he done went to MEPS and all that jazz and he got a "Military ID" stating that he is in the DEP, it has his picture and all that info on it. Do we Marine Poolee's get anything like this? I know with this ID you can get discounts and such ( I think).

As far as I know, no, Marine Corps poolees don't get a military ID, even though you're technically in the Marine Corps Reserves (your time in the Delayed-Entry Program will count towards your time in the IRR after your Active Duty period). However, I do not know if it is impossible for someone to obtain one.

Your best bet is to ask your recruiter, he'll give you a proper answer I'm sure.

Yeah, I didn't think so either. I am going to, it's the weekend and he isn't answering his phone, I'll ask him tomorrow.

I was given one of those DEP ID's after I swore in. They aren't really anything special, it's basically just a laminated piece of paper that says my height and weight and a picture. Honestly I think they just give them out sometimes so poolees will feel like they're special. It wouldn't get me onto any military base or get me a military discount.

I got a Marine DEP card that says "Honor Courage Commitment" on one side and says a bunch of things on it... and on the other side it says my name and recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    I got a Marine DEP card that says "Honor Courage Commitment" on one side and says a bunch of things on it... and on the other side it says my name and recruiter.
    I have one of those too. My recruiter said to hold on to it; he showed me his, and he's had it for 11 years!

yup, never got one of them =(

Ask. The 'poolee id' thing won't let you do much, more of an 'oohrah' piece than anything else.

I had a friend who recently enlisted in the Navy, he got one too. I didn't though and no one else from my RS did either. As long as it doesn't interfere with me getting into recruit training, I don't need one.

My guess is only certain MEPs do it since only some people have gotten them? I've never gotten one and I had to DEP twice. I know that the Army gives out 'Future Soldier Identification Cards' though, a guy at MEPs was all proud of his and showing it off.

The army has this also, my best friend just enlisted and they gave him one already... he's bragging about it and everything.

They should've given him a Gym Membership, Lol, in Vegas, the AF doesn't PT, nor the Army, the Marines office is the only one that PT's weekly.

I do remember one time we went on this run, near the end of it (nice and cool after the sun had gone down) we saw the AF poolee's doing some kind of Marching routine, SSgt. Told us to make a war cry as we ran down the alley past them. It was kinda funny.

No, it's not certain MEPS that give you the card. The "DEP Card" is just a little piece of cardstock that has the Delayed Entry Program "core values" on one side and yours and your recruiter's signature on the other side, with the date of your enlistment, and it states that you have met the requirements for enlistment, and that you will obtain the title of Marine on completion of recruit training.

That's all. It grants you access to nothing, but it's just something neat to have. Ask your recruiter about it, he might give you one.

As for the "future soldier" card or the military ID, it comes down to this: if you're joining a branch of service, other than the Marine Corps, once you have sworn-in you are considered a part of your respective service, despite the fact that you haven't gone to basic training yet. In the Marine Corps, no one will recognize you as a Marine until you earn the title, therefore you are granted no special privileges as a member of the military until you finish with boot camp.

Hope that clears things up.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I got it from my recruiter...they have little laminaters for the IDs in the RSS. I have used it to get discounts too, many people just look at it and say...uhh okay. The people giving the discounts only care enough to know if you have the ID, so if they get asked by their manager or PIC, they can say they asked for and saw it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    FYI...after I made that post some one decided to call my recruiter and tell on me or something, but just for clarification, I don't act like it is a real military ID, and when asked by people, i explain what it is, and 9/10 I am still given the discount. People want to support the military, and joining DEP is the first step. Would have liked to had a PM from this person, instead of having to find out from my recruiter lol....

Thread Information