Everly Brothers Marines? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Anyone ever heard about The Emblems?A group of five Marine singers from the late 50's or early 60's.There's a PC of them up for auction overseas.

They were in the Marine Corps Reserve........Don Everly got married in his Dress Blues right after he graduated boot camp in the Base Chapel......Buy Tera Gold
    Tera Items

I served in the USMC at a corporal, 0351,B/1/1/1,Camp Pendleton. My wife and I attended a concert, so to speak, at the outdoor theater, San Oonofre, 1963, with the Everly brothers as entertainers. It was outstanding. I reentered the USMCR, retiring as a 1stSgt with 23 years service. I still miss the Corps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SgtThrasher View Post
    Yeah G.G,I recall when you and I were at 29 Stumps where we formed 5th 8" Howitzer (SP) and started the battery.I remember when the Everly brothers were there for summer training in 66 or 67 and they put on a small show and also movie star Linda Day George's brother was stationed there at the same time too.
    Sgt where you at the stumps when the CG's son was in a wreak on the road into the bass and was killed ? I was the meat wagon driver that answered that call . I was waiting for my Med discharge .. that I didn't want and they stuck me with H&S as a driver .

Zebra29er

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
    Don and Phill Everly went to Boot Camp at MCRD San Diego in 1961 and graduated in 1962. They both went to boot camp together.........They were in the Marine Corps Reserve........Don Everly got married in his Dress Blues right after he graduated boot camp in the Base Chapel......

Sempers,

Roger

I believe they were both in artillery units, either 105's or 4-Deuce stationed in the 16 area at Camp Pendleton

Roger that,I was in A company also.Shared a quonset hut with the everlys.The Colonel you refered to was named Kirby-smith nice old guy.As I recall Marshall lieb and the Hollywood argyles sang Alley oop.Great times.Ran into the brothers in Hollywood at a club they owned .

They bring artists, including some of the artists of that time the top of Roch n roll and pop music. I remember the sugar time warping is a top hit.

I heard that Lee Marvin and Steve Mcqueen served in the Marine Corps. I can't prove it just heard and never read about it.

Squad Leader Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redclyde View Post
    I heard that Lee Marvin and Steve Mcqueen served in the Marine Corps. I can't prove it just heard and never read about it.
    Lee Marvin was a WWII Marine infantryman, WIA at Saipan. He was medically discharged.

Steve McQueen served in the Corps between WWII and Korea. He had a rough first part of his enlistment, but settled down for the 2d half getting an Honorable Discharge.

Hello............

I was in the Marines '66-'69 and was a Corporal in the 3rd Bn 3rd Marines 3rd Div, Viet Nam, 1968.

With Regards to you Marines who were at ITR with the Everly Brothers, I'd like to know exactly when they put on their concert. Was it during ITR or at the completion of ITR?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by texbestn1 View Post
    When A Company finished ITR training in late February or early March 1962, the Everly brothers put on a show for all in our company and, maybe, all off-duty Marines at Pendleton. The entertainers they brought in included some of the artists with top Roch n Roll and Pop hits at that time. I remember the Sugar Time Twist was a top hit. They got the Camp Pendleton base commander, who had a name like Colonel Arrowsmith, and several of the enlisted men get on stage to do the twist with some of the female entertainers. It was possibly the best entertainment I ever experienced, which means it was better than a Bob Hope show or The Supremes.

Bill Cissell
    Never mind. I should have read each post a little more carefully.

I like the guy who got on Phil Everly's case about the length of his hair. HAHAHA! That was always a bone of contention between the enlistees and the lifers!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Everly Brothers

Yes to all the above. I was in platoon 303 at MCRD and the Everlys were in 301. We all went to ITR at San Onofre after boot camp. Later, I was in the 11 Marines in Pendleton when one they did their yearly active duty. One and I recall that the brothers did not join by themselves but joined with someone from their band. There I had the opportunity to play Phil Everly's Gretch guitar for a few minutes...good memory!
    M.S.

Everly Brothers another pair of famous Marines? I never knew that - pretty cool!

I've always liked them, even if I'm a little younger than most of their fans. Just plain great music. And finding out they were fellow Reserve Marines?

SSgt Maddox (Andy)
    Once... Always..., you know the rest
    SF!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceWT View Post
    Hello............

I was in the Marines '66-'69 and was a Corporal in the 3rd Bn 3rd Marines 3rd Div, Viet Nam, 1968.

With Regards to you Marines who were at ITR with the Everly Brothers, I'd like to know exactly when they put on their concert. Was it during ITR or at the completion of ITR?

Thanks!
    BruceWT: My best friend was in your unit in Vietnam (333) in 68. He lost both legs on the Marine Corps birthday of that year. I made him a slide blues guitar as a gesture of my respect for his sacrifice. You can watch it on YouTube at http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/...-requiem-blues
    Mark Salo

Thread Information