Everly Brothers Marines?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Everly Brothers Marines?

Anyone know anything about the Everly Brothers serving in the Marines? When did they serve? Where did they go to bootcamp and did they go through together?

Cool EVERLY BROTHERS.............

Don and Phill Everly went to Boot Camp at MCRD San Diego in 1961 and graduated in 1962. They both went to boot camp together.........They were in the Marine Corps Reserve........Don Everly got married in his Dress Blues right after he graduated boot camp in the Base Chapel......

Sempers,

Roger

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY LATE HUSBAND, SSgt Roger A. Alfano, USMC
    ONE PROUD MARINE
    1961-1977
    Vietnam 1968/69
    Once a Marine...Always a Marine

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1204617174

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I did not know that! Is it a hoax or truth that Don Knotts was a Marine? I even heard one rumour that he was a Drill Instructor.

Cool Don Knotts Biography

Don Knotts Biography

At the age of 19, Don enrolled in the army and was transfered to a special service unit to entertain the troops during World War II. Don eventually got tired of his vantriloquist act, left his dummy on the beach and moved on to comedy. When the war was over, Don returned to WVU and graduated. Don got married and he and his wife moved back up to New York.

To read more......
    http://www.worldofcheese.org/knotts/bio/

Sempers,

Roger

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY LATE HUSBAND, SSgt Roger A. Alfano, USMC
    ONE PROUD MARINE
    1961-1977
    Vietnam 1968/69
    Once a Marine...Always a Marine

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1204617174

My brother, Tom Cissell, an uncle (Leo Bagsby, who is one year younger than me), and I experienced boot camp at MCRD, the rifle range at Camp Matthews and Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Pendleton concurrently with the Everly brothers. We were in different platoons in boot, but were in the same ITR company, Company A.
    We entered boot in November 1961 and graduated in January 1962. Tom and I and Don and Phil Everly were two of about six sets of brothers in A Company at ITR.

Bill Cissell

I had a run in with one of the Everly brothers at 29 Stumps while I was stationed there. I was TAD from 5th 8 inch to reserve liaison training. On a Monday morning I saw a Marine with extra long hair and I told him to get it cut noon formation. Col. Wilson (yes the one who became COM. and a MOH Marine) called me aside and told me that there were orders set aside if a reserve Marine need to have long hair that is for his livelihood he could have it. At that time he was the only brother in the Corps. Also he was what was called a "30 day reserve). They would not attend any monthly meetings but were to attend 30 days a year on active duty. One other thing the Everly Bro.s would have there show stop at the Stumps for two free performances once a year.

Yeah G.G,I recall when you and I were at 29 Stumps where we formed 5th 8" Howitzer (SP) and started the battery.I remember when the Everly brothers were there for summer training in 66 or 67 and they put on a small show and also movie star Linda Day George's brother was stationed there at the same time too.

Never knew that before, OOHRAH for the Everly Brothers.

The Everly Brothers were in the 11th Marines at 13 Area, Camp Pendleton in 63/64. The troops used to ask them to play and sing and the would in a heart beat.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I can remember sliding across the back seat or My PaPa's Rocket 88,on the backroads of Hillbilly road on his Leave I think the song was Wakeup Little Susie??? If I'm wrong you'll have too understand the way my PaPa drove Pedal 2 the Metal.Dam I miss You Daddy your loving Son Jack

Everly brothers dis show at end of ITR

When A Company finished ITR training in late February or early March 1962, the Everly brothers put on a show for all in our company and, maybe, all off-duty Marines at Pendleton. The entertainers they brought in included some of the artists with top Roch n Roll and Pop hits at that time. I remember the Sugar Time Twist was a top hit. They got the Camp Pendleton base commander, who had a name like Colonel Arrowsmith, and several of the enlisted men get on stage to do the twist with some of the female entertainers. It was possibly the best entertainment I ever experienced, which means it was better than a Bob Hope show or The Supremes.

To Fistfu69, I first heard Bye Bye Love in a 1954, eight cylinder Mercury owned by my dad. That was a hot car. It only had 110 MPH on speedometer, but I was able to outrun a friend whose dad's 1955 Desota had a 120 MPH on its speedometer. We had them both pegged out.

Bill Cissell

While we were in ITR, I found Phil Everly to be one of the guys. He played poker with several of us on several occasions. Don was much more business-like. He seemed to use his spare time planning future shows and communicating with his wife. Both were were more friendly and approachable than some of the other celebrities and celebrity wannabes in the Holliwood Reserve Unit.

Bill Cissell

Quote Originally Posted by texbestn1 View Post
    While we were in ITR, I found Phil Everly to be one of the guys. He played poker with several of us on several occasions. Don was much more business-like. He seemed to use his spare time planning future shows and communicating with his wife. Both were were more friendly and approachable than some of the other celebrities and celebrity wannabes in the Holliwood Reserve Unit.

Bill Cissell
    Marine your profile needs work, Semper FI.

Learn something new every day.OOORAH to the Everly Brothers.Check out the story about Steve McQueen in the June issue of Leatherneck Magazine. Semper Fi!

the Marine Corps becomes a smaller and smaller world doesn't it?

i never knew they were Marines...albeit reservists

Don Knotts was in the army and not a drill instructor.
    Drew Carey was a reservist and was not a 300pft.
    Mr. Rogers was not a Marine sniper nor was he ever in the Marine Corps.

there are a few other rumors about famous people, i just dont remember them anymore...but i researched all of the ones i heard...there was one that turned out to be true, i just dont remember which one it was

Thread Information