chemical reconissance and aviodance team?
Create Post

chemical reconissance and aviodance team?

I was lurking around in the Terminal Lance forum and I saw a post about the Marine chemical reconissance and avoidance team. Is is true that if you a 03XX and your an NCO you can apply for this and take the HAZMAT course? Or would this have to be in a reenlistment package? Could you still do this if you did time in the Marine Security Forces?

Thanks in advance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Before you decide on anything like this, you need to put on MOPP 4 gear in August, add a flak, helmet, rifle, plus everything else a grunt carries, and run around like that for about 24-hours. In the sun, everything. Do fire team and squad tactics all day in the sun.

If you still feel like having anything to do with chem warfare after that, go for it. You da' man.

Amen to THAT. I was stuck on the 'decon team' during an NBC Excercise in Beaufort, SC, Mid August, 1986. Deconning an F-4 in 101 degrees outside....MOPP-4....NOT a fun time.

Did something similiar back in '08 for my AF MOS school....Look up "Level A with SCBA". In San Antonio. In July.

Really, the 'fun' factor in all this diminishes rather quickly LOL.

Yeah NBC is fun, my main MOS was 1833 AAV Crewman, but I was also the Company Decon guy. Another Marine, and myself got chose from the Company to go to the Senader Decon Course it was a blast. Then whenever we did NBC drills me and the other Marine got stuck washing "Contaminents" off of vehicles, and Marines. It was fun.

Spent the better part of 2003 wearing MOPP gear day and night

Needless to say that did it for me

Nothing like sitting in a AAV in the desert in MOPP-4 in mid-day with the vehicle running and a ****ty vent fan blowing sand at your mask.

So the answer is yes but you will hate your life if you do?

Is there any benefit of going this route?

A bonus? I dunno.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No special advantages that I know about (or care about). The Marine Corps couldn't pay me enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ocelot2 View Post
    I was lurking around in the Terminal Lance forum and...
    Why?!

Actually, the place is pretty funny. Sometimes you have to take a walk on the wild side LOL. Cartoons are hilarious, the kid has talent. (Not to say I agree with them all)

I think I just tasted throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Why?!
    I think "Why not?" is a better question.

LOL. Shill.

Quote Originally Posted by ocelot2 View Post
    So the answer is yes but you will hate your life if you do?

Is there any benefit of going this route?

Ocelot: Go for it. Its the Corps, so as a grunt you will either spend 4 years thinking and planning about how you're going to get back on the block or you'll be planning how to better position yourself for promotion to better pad your lifer career. If the latter, then you need to have knowledge of all your possibilities as a young Marine. So, if you look into it and find that its not a dead end MOS and that the top ranks in the chem recon teams are not overcrowded, then you go for it.

As stated in the posts above, it is no fun for sure. But neither is humping around for 24 clicks with wet, blistered feet and about 55 lbs worth of gear on.

Go forth and decon. Good luck.

Thread Information