Boot Camp Myths? Automatic PFC?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Boot Camp Myths? Automatic PFC?

Hello Marines,
    There has been some rumors in our recruiting office that in boot camp, if you can do 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches(under 2 min), and 3 mile under 20minutes that it would automatically promote you to Private First Class.

Does this hold any truth at all or is it nothing but a myth?
    Thanks in advance

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TexTK View Post
    Hello Marines,
    There has been some rumors in our recruiting office that in boot camp, if you can do 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches(under 2 min), and 3 mile under 20minutes that it would automatically promote you to Private First Class.

Does this hold any truth at all or is it nothing but a myth?
    Thanks in advance

Just WHAT did your Recruiter have to say about all of this?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Just WHAT did your Recruiter have to say about all of this?
    Just heard about it a couple days ago
    Didn't really think much of it until now. I'm planning on asking my recruiter next time we have PT which is Monday but I figured I wanted to get other people's opinion on this just for confirmation
    I was skeptical about it, just curious thats all.

Maybe, maybe not if I where you I would def ask your Recruiter. If I has to make an assumption I would probably say no, sounds like a silly rumor to me.

In certain cases, yes. If you go in getting crappy IST scores and by the Final PFT get a 300, your Senior Drill Instructor might put you up for a meritorious promotion if the other recruits are sh*tbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Salad View Post
    In certain cases, yes. If you go in getting crappy IST scores and by the Final PFT get a 300, your Senior Drill Instructor might put you up for a meritorious promotion if the other recruits are sh*tbirds.

All recruits are shi$birds until they become Marine's

if you can basically do that then you may be an honor grad that would get u PFC

Sounds like a ration of sh!t to me. The Marines do not tend to give away promotions for something of that nature. You work for and qualify for advancement. Doing great on the PFT is one of the many things you must do to prove yourself qualified.

Ask your recruiter.... but don't be upset is he falls to the floor laughing!

In 1966 before most of you were born, the boot camp platoon promoted one recruit to E2 PFC. He also got a set of dress blues. It wasn't me, however I did get PFC in ITR, and before my first leave which was very rare also. If they are giving it away because you can do so so on pt, that would be pathetic.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    One old Poolee who had just graduated and visited our office also said the same thing somewhere along those lines
    It wasnt exactly like that but he said something about getting a 300 PFT along with actually showing dedication and being motivated would probably land you as being one of the squad leaders and MAYBE get to PFC

It sounds like a rumor to me.

I know where you got this. From the guy on the third comode from the left.

Pfft all you get for a 300 PFT is a certificate, and that goes for 285 and higher. I should be getting one once my PFT for score gets into MOL. If you want to be promoted in boot you have to be in the top 10% of your platoon to be considered. Only guarentees is your TIG for private, 2 refferals, JROTC and college credits?

The only way you're going to get PFC is to get Meritorious in boot camp most likely by being a squad leader or guide. Or get it in your contract by having college.

the rumor is true but in our platoons case it was the guy with the highest pft you have to get above a 290. i had a 285 just missed it but thats what happened with us. it sounds like the platoons have a quota like they can only give out so many you know. and all our squad leaders and guid exept for one had pfc befor going to boot so they needed to hand them out. this was in 2006

Thread Information