I need help getting the VA to help my husband
Create Post
    Marine Spouse Free Member AngelOnEarth's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy I need help getting the VA to help my husband

Hi... My husband had been suffering from PTSD and depression since his combat tours in Iraq. We have been calling and trying to get him one on one counseling in addition to his group meetings that are monthly. I am told that they have a shortage of counselors/psychiatrists in the Myrtle Beach area. So we wait and wait. And wait. How can I get things done here for him. If they have such a shortage of staff in our area, why are they not getting more help? It has been over a year that he has been seeking help and now that things have really come to a head, waiting is no longer an option. I do NOT want this to get to the final straw with him because people are dragging their feet or trying to blow us off. I just please need help getting him seen one on one NOW. Please if you know anything to do, please write me.
    Thank you all so very much for reading and caring and for any help we get.

Lynn

Last edited by AngelOnEarth; 07-21-10 at 08:58 PM. Reason: emoticons too big

Quote Originally Posted by AngelOnEarth View Post
    Hi... My husband had been suffering from PTSD and depression since his combat tours in Iraq. We have been calling and trying to get him one on one counseling in addition to his group meetings that are monthly. I am told that they have a shortage of counselors/psychiatrists in the Myrtle Beach area. So we wait and wait. And wait. How can I get things done here for him. If they have such a shortage of staff in our area, why are they not getting more help? It has been over a year that he has been seeking help and now that things have really come to a head, waiting is no longer an option. I do NOT want this to get to the final straw with him because people are dragging their feet or trying to blow us off. I just please need help getting him seen one on one NOW. Please if you know anything to do, please write me.
    Thank you all so very much for reading and caring and for any help we get.

Lynn
    Go to a VA-Hospital-after 12 AM-to the EMERGENCY ROOM-tell-how you fell-show your anxiety and ask to see the Resident-Psychiatrist on call.If they don't Help you -they suck-Go there every-night-until-they make arrangements-to help your husband;This works in New York-Hope this works for you.

Also find the local or someone in the VFW, Ligion or DAV ask them to help they will they can sometimes force the issue but what ever you do do not stop write congressman don't stop. OK?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Charleston Vet Center

5603-A Rivers Ave.
    N. Charleston, SC 29406

Phone: 843-789-7000
    Fax: 843-566-0232

Greenville, SC Vet Center

14 Lavinia Ave.
    Greenville, SC 29601

Phone: 864-271-2711
    Fax: 864-370-3655

Columbia Vet Center

1710 Richard Street, Suite A
    Columbia, SC 29201

Phone: 803-765-9944
    Fax: 803-799-6267

Call the Vet Center closest to Horry County and tell the counselor your problem and your husband needs to be seen today.

Most (sic) Vet Centers are staffed by combat veteran counselors.

Good luck...

getting help for PTSD

Lynn,
    Does your husband belong to a service organization like the DAV ?
    Whether he does or not really doesn't matter, although a membership
    would benefit him for life. That said, contact a DAV (Disabled American
    Veterans) rep and see what help you can get for your husband and
    what direction to go. They (DAV) have been a huge help to me over
    the years (USMS Vietnam vet), and are there to help ALL veterans
    get the help they need from the VA system. Good luck......I know
    the help will come in time. Semper Fi.

Marine Spouse Free Member AngelOnEarth's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2336255 View Post
    Lynn,

Thank you all so much

Jeff, do you know how I find someone like that? I got married to my husband after his time in the Marine Corps. I am so lost in doing all this. I keep calling numbers and going in circles.

And thank you all again so very much. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP. It feels very good to know people care. Semper Fi

Oh and any more ideas are still so very appreciated

Credits
    Savings
    If you don't have a Church Home, FIND ONE, Lean on THE ONE who can Handle ANYTHING.. I did over 40 Years Ago and My Life since that Day has gotten GOODER and GOODER.. You and your Husband are in My Prayers.. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    Also find the local or someone in the VFW, Ligion or DAV ask them to help they will they can sometimes force the issue but what ever you do do not stop write congressman don't stop. OK?
    GOOD ADVICE-Definitely Go To The DAV-They Will Help.Soldiers Need Help Now-What's Wrong With This Picture?.You Want Marines To Fight-Help Them When They Come Home.They Did Their Job-Do Yours-VA.

All the advice you have been given is great and do what they have told you. Try going to the press, the government does not like bad press.

lynn
    another outlet for you would be write a nice pleading letter to the secretary of VA directly to him no one else in D.C.and explain all the waiting and put offs and hell you been through tell him how you have been put off for some kind also tell the when they wanted your husband for deployment he did not ask for any kind of delay he went right away when asked lay it on real thick
    you will get a result guaranteed joe kreuz

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelOnEarth View Post
    Thank you all so much

Jeff, do you know how I find someone like that? I got married to my husband after his time in the Marine Corps. I am so lost in doing all this. I keep calling numbers and going in circles.

And thank you all again so very much. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP. It feels very good to know people care. Semper Fi

Oh and any more ideas are still so very appreciated
    Here you go. If your Husband wants to Talk to Someone Please have him call the number on My Signature Line.

Prayers Outbound............

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

http://dav.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2336255 View Post
    Lynn,
    Your local VFW or AMVETS chapter will also have people who can cut through the bullsht. There are many people in all of these organizations who trully care and know how to get things done.

Help from the VA

Go online to Google - type in your U.S Senator's name. Send them an email or call the Senator's office, and you will get immediate help.

The VA Hospital Administrators are terrified of U.S Senator's inquiries and don't want us veterans to have to resort to using this avenue of getting help, but from personal experience - it works and works fast.

Seven years ago, I was slowly dying and needed a surgery immediately, and the VA told me that it would six months or so until they would schedule this.
    I called Senator Inhofe's office in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and that night, the director of medical services for Oklahoma for the VA called me at home and asked me to come to the VA Hospital and get admitted and prepared for surgery. Less than 12 hours - now that is Marine-like response to a problem.

The Senator's love to do this - it makes them feel good and gets them reelection votes.

And I will ask our Father in Heaven to help you and your husband.

Semper Fi, Tom

Thread Information