High times in Oakland - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    It wasn't what I expected.

How so?

And if you do not mind me asking----where did you stay?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think it was called the train hotel?? I expected to see a giant cloud of pot smoke over the city.
    Was there with my family and abstain from any drug use so didn't even explore those places.

We had actually gone up there to see bahn hof and amsterdam was a side trip. Saw the Ann Frank museum and went to the hard rock cafe. Did a lot of walking.

If there is anyone out there that thinks that maybe a trip to Amsterdam makes sense. Check with me first.

I may be one of the worlds experts on going to Amsterdam cheap(er) along with staying in $270 a night hotels for $90 or less.

I can help you save a small fortune.

And no I am not a travel agent nor have any product to sell.

Its just good free advice.

I think it was called the train hotel?? I expected to see a giant cloud of pot smoke over the city.
    Was there with my family and abstain from any drug use so didn't even explore those places.

We had actually gone up there to see bahn hof and amsterdam was a side trip. Saw the Ann Frank museum and went to the hard rock cafe. Did a lot of walking.
    The A-Train?

Walking is what I do almost all the time I am over there. The best walking city I have ever seen anywhere.

But a good observation about the lack of visuals or smells as far as MJ. You almost never see it on the streets.

A walk through Vondalpark on a sunny day you might see some. But even then its fairly rare.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Geeze I'm operating on one brain cell again. It was kuken haus(sp) We went up there to see the tulip gardens. I think it was the train hotel? It had a train theme and was across the road from the train station. The prices were reasonable and everyone spoke english. Driving and more so finding parking was outrageous.

"The prices were reasonable and everyone spoke english. Driving and more so finding parking was outrageous."

You have discovered two basis truths about Amsterdam.

Everyone but the odd tourist speaks great English.

The only problem I ever had was a meet and greet at a coffeeshop with a fellow Yank and a young couple from Scotland.

I sat there and nodded and tried to look engaged but I had not a clue what those Scots were saying. What those people have done to the English language is a crime.

You never want to park in Amsterdam. Never ever.

What we normally recommend is some public parking lots on the outskirts of town. Very reasonable prices. Really dirt cheap compared to parking in the Centre.

And a tram line near by so you can park and then catch a tram into town where you will be staying.

http://www.atrainhotel.com/index.php

Yep right across the street from the beautiful Central Station.

If you ever decide to go back check with me first.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We found an underground parking garage with security about 2 blocks from the hotel. It cost 80 EU a day to park there. How bout them WWII looking bicycles parked everywhere LOL. A big that looks like at any minute is gonna rust into the ground with a 10 lb chain and a padlock on it. When we went there the city clean up crew was on strike so there were piles of trash everywhere.

We found an underground parking garage with security about 2 blocks from the hotel. It cost 80 EU a day to park there. How bout them WWII looking bicycles parked everywhere LOL. A big that looks like at any minute is gonna rust into the ground with a 10 lb chain and a padlock on it. When we went there the city clean up crew was on strike so there were piles of trash everywhere.
    Oh man did I hear about the trash. I am in fact an official Amsterdam expert for a major travel related forum. And did the visitors and locals complain about the trash.

Those bikes you saw were for the most part 2nd bikes. Normally the Dutch or at least many Dutch will have a nice bike at home for their non-work related rides. And a crap bike they will ride to the train station etc.

Bike stealing (along with pickpockets) being the two biggest street crimes you might come across.

Nothing fills me with awe more than to see an Amsterdam mom on the way home from shopping with bags of groceries and two kids on that bike. Sometimes in the dead of winter during a cold windy rainy evening.

I have no idea how they do it.

If pot was legal I wouldn't smoke it. Not saying I never experimented I have, but those days are passed. Honesly I could see it becoming legal here in Illinois, it has been talked about. Where getting to be more and more of a liberal state. However if others wanna smoke that thrash more power to them I suppose. If they make it legal here in Illinois, they better make some tax cuts on other things, and tax the hell out of the doobie!!

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Compared to alcohol, pot is far more benign. You never hear a story about a pothead getting stoned and then getting into a fueled frenzy and beating the sh*t out of his wife and kids.

About the most violent thing a pothead would do is walk into a wall as he went into the kitchen to find some twinkies.

If alcohol is legal, there is absolutely no reason to keep pot illegal.
    I agree with you whole-heartedly and like most folks I had my experiences with it when I was younger and I know it's not as bad as manufactured drugs like coke, heroine, and meth and don't doubt that the taxes made from it may help our economy in the long run.

@ EGButler: My concern comes from the idea that if it is packaged and sold like cigarettes that more people will smoke it while they're driving just like regular cigarettes and we both know that pot slows reaction time and awareness and the idea of some guy tripping balls while driving in rush hour traffic isn't exactly something I'm keen on. But I'm not trying to say weed is the devil because it's not and I hope that if it is legalized that Americans treat it and think of it just like Dutch do, of course it may take some time for that to happen as I'm sure alot of folks would be celebrating it's legalization for a while hahaha.

Hey Lynn2: If Amsterdam is so great, you should pack your sea bag and move there. Baltimore may suck, but at least it is in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Hey Lynn2: If Amsterdam is so great, you should pack your sea bag and move there. Baltimore may suck, but at least it is in the U.S.
    Its called a vacation. And Amsterdam is great.

Kind of a nasty twink I see.

"I hope that if it is legalized that Americans treat it and think of it just like Dutch do, of course it may take some time for that to happen as I'm sure alot of folks would be celebrating it's legalization for a while hahaha."

On this time would tell. Although you will never see grass sold in vending machines or at 7-11.

The model will be like the Dutch or like the medical MJ stores in in California.

The first few years I would expect a small upsurge in use. A heck of a lot of folks are smoking already. But after that, in time, we may see a leveling off, and maybe even a decline.

The Dutch have had an open above ground system for decades now. Its just not seen as a big deal. And for many Dutch a coffeeshop is somewhere Brits and Yanks go while on Holiday in the NL.

http://www.schlijper.nl/index2.html

Bulkyker I tried to send this as a PM but you inbox is full. You may remember seeing some of this last month.

If you go back a few days you will see the WC as locals saw it.

Enjoy

Thread Information