Carrying a Sidearm - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You realize that unlike in hollywood, "silencers" do not actually "silence"? They reduce the noise level of a gun shot from 135 decibels (the sound of a 747 take off) to a mere 110 decibels (slightly less noisy than a 747 take off).
    They are mostly useful as a way to suppress the muzzle flash to prevent a target from being able to locate the specific position of the shooter.

You can silence the weapon but you can not silence the bullet if it is going faster than the speed of sound.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As a worthless side note,,,my MOS was 2841, and my issue was a 1911a1. Anchient history, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    You realize that unlike in hollywood, "silencers" do not actually "silence"? They reduce the noise level of a gun shot from 135 decibels (the sound of a 747 take off) to a mere 110 decibels (slightly less noisy than a 747 take off).
    They are mostly useful as a way to suppress the muzzle flash to prevent a target from being able to locate the specific position of the shooter.
    They also dramatically reduce the effective range of the weapon.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    You can silence the weapon but you can not silence the bullet if it is going faster than the speed of sound.

This is true, downrange. However, depending on the firearm, you can use sub-sonic ammunition.

I've shot the MP-5SD (permanent suppressor) and the Navy MP-5N (screw-on suppressor). With sub-sonic ammunition, the SD sounds just like the movies except the noise of the action is a little more prominent. The MP-5N was also pretty damned quiet. The SEALS wanted an MP-5 they could use effectively at slightly longer ranges as well, so that led to the removable suppressor.

Yes, that stuff needs to be used up close and personal. The MP-5SD was designed to be a hostage rescue firearm where silence is important if hostages are in separate areas of a structure. The SD was easily quiet enough to shoot comfortably without hearing protection.

Marine Force Recon used to have Colt Woodsman .22 semi-autos with permanent suppressors. I shot one once and it was very quiet. More noise from the action than anything else.

I never argue weapons with Marines. Considering the little time I spent on a range.

I do know that "noise" was something that could cause a whole team to be lost.

Anything that reduced that noise and still allowed us to do what needed to be done would have been a big help.

"Leave the rifles and take the K-Bars and don't make any friggin noise if you have to use them" was in fact a command I heard in real time.

KBars ? :-(

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It has been a while and things change but the force platoon I worked with all carried MP-5's and 1911 side arm.

My personal opinion, there will never be a better side arm than the 1911 colt in .45 Colt Auto. I'm not a fan of the 9mms. Put one where it should go rather than 17 in the general area.

If you want a home protection weapon, don't think side arm. The Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge is light, quick, and recoil won't make your wife afraid to shoot it. Load it with turkey shot (a mix of #4 and #6 lead shot) and it will pretty much discourage anyone in it's line of fire, but won't blast through to the next room to harm the children.

Two cents contributed.

I can't believe that it hasn't been mentioned that pistols are next to useless in combat. They are there for people that have jobs that make it difficult or impossible to deal with a rifle and for some that are highly likely to need a backup firearm. There maybe a situation where a pistol would be a better answer than a rifle or carbine, but I've yet to encounter it. The M-16 will get you through anything you see.

As for home defense, there are tons of great choices. Go to the gun store and check some out. Even though I don't currently own one, you really can't beat a Glock or of Smith and Wesson M&P.

"I can't believe that it hasn't been mentioned that pistols are next to useless in combat"

Carried one for 13 straight months in combat as a back up weapon and never fired mine. But we did use it a lot.

Tunnels, small caves, swimming out to and boarding small boats are just some of the times.

Mine was mostly for if I needed to leave my main weapon behind and go after a WIA.

All in all it was nice to have. And I never went out without it.

But it added more weight than I wished to have. And at my slight size weight was a constant issue for me.

On the plus side I looked really cool with that shoulder holster I picked up on the black market. Style and neat looks are important now and then I guess.

Thanks to all that responded.

We ended up going with a GLOCK 9mm compact. I would have liked to go with something with a little more stopping power, but I also needed to make sure my wife could easily handle the caliber.

Thanks again, and I appreciate the info.

Credits
    Savings
    Yep, them little 9mm's will go through walls and fatty flesh REAL slick.

Why don't you notch out a deep cut star pattern on the tips?

Just saying ...

I got some Federal hollowpoints to hopefully negate some of those issues with the 9mm.

Ever hear of the Whisper Rounds and rifles? A 50 cal. shortened to fire sub sonic.

I would recommend against self-modifying firearms or ammo...especially if your wife is going to be using it.

A 9mm would stop the **** out of me...just sayin. I wanted to get a .40 SiG for my house but decided weapon and ammo cost was too much so I went with the 9mm vers. No regrets.

Don't worry about mixing caliber with issued weapons. You won't be able to take ammo from training exercises home...at least you aren't supposed to. Unless you are attached to some cool-guy unit/billet you will be rocking an M9, (9mm)...some guys get .45 automatics, but thats like attachment to JSOC and other stuff. Anyway enjoy your Glock...maybe go take a handling/firing course or CCW with your wife?

Thread Information