Carrying a Sidearm
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Carrying a Sidearm

Does anyone have the facts on which MOSs get to carry sidearms, and which caliber the USMC is issuing to those that are authorized to carry them?

I've done a little research online, but no one seems to have a consistant answer based on facts rather than hearsay.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Miller View Post
    Why
    To answer your question Sir, I am soon to be purchasing a handgun before I leave for bootcamp, and ideally I would like to buy one that could be used both for home protection (for my wife while I am gone) and potentially one that I could also carry into combat as a backup.

armorers are authorized i know that and its the M9 berretta 9mm that we use same as MW2 lol

ohh and you CAN NOT carry personal weapons into combat and pay no attention to that jack wagon hes a troll trying to start ****

Quote Originally Posted by CastNoShadow View Post
    To answer your question Sir, I am soon to be purchasing a handgun before I leave for bootcamp, and ideally I would like to buy one that could be used both for home protection (for my wife while I am gone) and potentially one that I could also carry into combat as a backup.
    You cant carry your own personal weapon into combat. Thats just retarded. If you need a sidearm, the Marine Corps will issue an M9 to you. You dont want an M9, they suck a*s.

Or you could be Force Recon, MARSOC or something of that nature. Then you'll get to carry a badass 1911, and nobody will give a sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    ohh and you CAN NOT carry personal weapons into combat and pay no attention to that jack wagon hes a troll trying to start ****
    Go back to playing MW2.

thats later for now im working and not fvcking off being a jacka$$ here

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    thats later for now im working and not fvcking off being a jacka$$ here
    Working is humping 20 miles in 130 degree weather to **** up some taliban.

Not predicting the weather.

Buy whatever you want for home protection. Since you are married you will either move into base housing or out in town. If you choose base housing make sure you register your weapon with PMO (Military Police). Also, regardless of whether you live in base housing or not make sure you research the gun laws of the state you are moving to, especially when you move your family. Make sure you transport it legally and you register it when you arrive. These rules/laws apply to whatever MOS you are.

The Lt is right in that it is illegal for you to carry a personal firearm to combat. It may be easy for you to get it there but leaving with it will be nearly impossible. Plus I think it would be better served to leave it home with your wife for her protection. If you think you need a backup then make sure when you get to your unit you volunteer to be on a machine gun team. That way you'll always have something to shoot.

If you take care of your issued weapon it will work for you when you need it. Most of the M16's in service now are relatively new. They have the new rail system which you mount other issued item like the acog/rco (advanced combat optical gunsight/rifle combat optics), infrared laser site, surefire, and other things.

That being said, my last deployment to Iraq, the Officers and Staff NCO's (and I) were issued the M4 and also carried an M9. I can't confirm whether or not the Marine Corps is completely losing the M9 or not as I've been out for a bit.

as far as i know were keeping the m9

Make sure you get a silencer and some high-speed NVGs. You never know when your Platoon Commander will send you on a solo mission to kill the Taliban commander before you assault your objective!

Dammmn Lt. Miller, you carry on like a freakin mud private, mang

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Miller View Post
    Working is humping 20 miles in 130 degree weather to **** up some taliban.

Not predicting the weather.
    No, that’s taking a walk. Working is everything the enlisted Marines have to do to get ready for the walk.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    Make sure you get a silencer and some high-speed NVGs. You never know when your Platoon Commander will send you on a solo mission to kill the Taliban commander before you assault your objective!

There was many a day I would have paid $100 (big money back then) to have a silencer. We could have used that often and to great result.

In fact some of our guys did carry non issued weapons.

Nunchucks and a garrote were both carried at times. Though I never myself ever saw or heard of them being used.

Brass nuckles? Can't remember if that is a real memory of someone carrying them or a fake one.

Thread Information