MOS selection at ITB
Create Post

MOS selection at ITB

Hello Marines

I just had a quick question regarding how 03xx MOS's are decided at ITB. Is there a "wish list" of sorts that that you submit, or are the MOS's decided at the disgression of the instructors? If it is the latter, what exactly do they look for when determining who goes where?

I did a thread search and could find nothing related to this topic. I also asked the Marines at my RSS but unfortunately none of them were certain since they don't hold infantry PMOS's. My recruiter told me he would "get back to me on that" but I know he has more important things to spend his time on. I figured I'd ask here and hope an infantry Marine can answer it with some first-hand knowledge.

Thank you for your time.

Just went through SOI, so I have a current analysis of the situation. Right after the Inferno, sounds cooler than it is, the do the split. For Alpha Co 10-10, they called everyone who wasn't contract something (Security forces, Recon, so on and so forth), sat us down and told us, hey, 'grats, you were selected for Weapons Plt.

How to make the cut. Don't fall out on hikes/range movements. Pass both the 1st and 2nd phase tests the first time. Have a high GT score on the ASVAB.

When they get down to particular MOS in WPNS (31s,41,etc) they do take down a wishlist.

Hope that helps.

Basically the "smarter" you are, the higher MOS they want to put you in. Or first choice on your wishlist.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Back in the day it was a little different. But listen to these Marines they have first hand knowledge, you can learn alot from them.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    GunnyE7 back in the day when you were fighting in the korean war were you infantry?

Thanks for the replies Marines. That actually cleared everything up for me.

Actually the current system in place at ITB is only a few years old.

When I originally joined the infantry in '95. They literally lined us all up and asked us to raise our hands for what MOS we wanted. If you just so happened to catch the eye of a particular instructor you got the MOS you wanted.

Everyone wanted 0351 because you got to be a "demoman", so pretty much my entire class waited until they asked for volunteers. In the end with reservists and security forces, they picked 4 people out of a platoon of 130. Lol. Luckily I had gotten to be friends with the instructor and he saw me raise my hand.

Thread Information