Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation Obama Nominates General Jim Amos For Commandant Post

By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer
    Posted : Tuesday Jul 20, 2010 15:00:12 EDT

President Obama has nominated Gen. Jim Amos to be the 35th Commandant of the Marine Corps, the Pentagon announced Tuesday.

In mid-June, Defense Secretary Robert Gates recommended Amos, the current assistant commandant, for the position. Shortly thereafter, Amos met with Obama at the White House.

The Senate Armed Services Committee, which holds confirmation hearings for such appointments, has not scheduled a date for Amos’ hearing.

If confirmed, Amos, a career jet pilot, would become the first aviator to hold the Corps’ top job, and the service’s first assistant commandant to be promoted to the position in almost 30 years.

Amos, 63, would succeed Gen. James T. Conway, whose four-year tenure is expected to conclude in late summer.

Anyone know where he stands on DADT?

Would it be fair to say that if Obama picked Amos, that Amos is prepared to support the repeal?

No I dont know either. Trying to find it. I remember reading that Gen. James T. Conway said homosexuality does not work in the Marine Corps.

Yes this is going to good to see how he stands on DADT but I to have to wander if he was picked becuase he leans to the repeal of it.

You maybe right. I would guarantee obama would not choose someone who supported Gen. James T. Conways view on DADT. Where do we go from here, as a parent of a Marine it is going to be very difficult to hold my tongue if the new Commandant of the Marine Corps agrees to repeal DADT, any thoughts anyone? I dont want to put the Assistant Commandant in obamas league. No disrespect to the Marine Corps intended here !

Keep it the way it is. It should be about GRUNTS. He might be the best jet jockey ever but he is not a GRUNT.

Gen. Mattis would have been a better choice.

This is going to get interesting.

Well, at least he didn't try to nominate an Army General as Commandant.

@ BigAlHolmes thanks for the links. I am not a computer guy yet but I slowly find my way around. Appreciate the help though. @ ArtyOps ,An Army Gen. , I thought thats what I was going to read ..as I read the article in Politico. Almost flipped out.
    I cant tell if obama is trying to sabotage Gen. Petraeus' bid for President of the United States. They were so rude to him, no man in uniform deserves any lip from fat asses like that ! If obama keeps the general in Afghanistan for 1-2 years with no second in command here, it seems impossible for him to run then.

You just KNOW Obama has already spoken to him about DADT for him to even be nominated. Danny's right about this....it WILL get interesting to see how that plays out. I would just like to see that DADT stay exactly how it is right now....shut up about it and keep it out of the way and do your job!!

....and he was going to nominate an ARMY General as Commandant of our Corps....?!?! WTF...?!?!

Wondering, AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    You just KNOW Obama has already spoken to him about DADT for him to even be nominated. Danny's right about this....it WILL get interesting to see how that plays out. I would just like to see that DADT stay exactly how it is right now....shut up about it and keep it out of the way and do your job!!

....and he was going to nominate an ARMY General as Commandant of our Corps....?!?! WTF...?!?!
    Jim, correct me if I'm wrong, But I have always been under the impression, that The Commandant of The Marine Corps, had to be a Marine. Please, straighten me out on that. As for DADT, I met a few Marines, and Swabbies, Who left a question in my mind. I didn't ask , and they didn't tell, ror which I am forever grateful !! I hope they leave it as is, but the way things are going in this country, don't bet on it either way.
    S/F!!! Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    Jim, correct me if I'm wrong, But I have always been under the impression, that The Commandant of The Marine Corps, had to be a Marine. Please, straighten me out on that. As for DADT, I met a few Marines, and Swabbies, Who left a question in my mind. I didn't ask , and they didn't tell, ror which I am forever grateful !! I hope they leave it as is, but the way things are going in this country, don't bet on it either way.
    S/F!!! Ken
    I gotta admit that you may very well possibly be right.....ANYTHING is possible with this President. Seems like he is just screwing up everything he touches.....

I tell you I am getting real sick of the present admin. I feel like I cant friggen breathe sometimes, just when there seems to be some calm ,these little prics(sp) start jamming more shiit at us full speed. My normal reaction would be to strike back with a backhand to the ears..I guess its good they are more than an arms length away.

Thread Information