The MARSOC Workout
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation The MARSOC Workout

My recruiter introduced me to The MARSOC Workout this past Thursday at our most recent DEP function, and let me tell you, it left me sore for two days. It was originally printed in the Marine Corps Times a couple of weeks ago, and I was able to find the digital version to share with you (the attachments are at the bottom of the post).

I plan on using the 10-week program (I just finished the 3-mile and the short card) but you don't necessarily have to - the MARSOC "short card" is a good supplement to your regular workouts anyhow, and it'll get you used to the kind of things you'll be doing at boot camp.

The MARSOC Short Card

1. 30 Push-ups
    2. 30 Air squats
    3. 30 Crunches
    4. 10 Burpees
    5. 10 Windmills
    6. 30 Push-ups
    7. 30 Mountain climbers
    8. 30 Flutter kicks
    9. 10 Burpees
    10. 10 Cherry pickers (4-count)
    11. 30 Push-ups
    12. 30 Star jumpers (or jumping jacks)
    13. 30 Back Extensions ("supermans")
    14. 10 Burpees
    15. 10 Chain breakers
    16. 30 Push-ups
    17. 30 Lunges
    18. 30 Hello dollies
    19. 10 Burpees
    20. 10 Trunk twists
    21. 3 Max sets of dead-hang pull-ups or flexed-arm hangs

(The short card is meant to be done continuously, with little to no rest in between "sets". You can also change the numbers or take variations on the workouts to accommodate your needs.)

The MARSOC Workout 10-Week Course

Week 1

Sunday: Rest and hydrate
    Monday: Run three miles and do the MARSOC short card.
    Tuesday: Swim 300 meters. Tread water for five minutes. Rest. Repeat two more times, complete total sequence in 15 minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, five times at typical 1-mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike three miles while wearing a 45-pound rucksack in an hour or less.
    Friday: Complete the short card.
    Saturday: Hike four miles, with pack, in an hour and 20 minutes or less.

Week 2

Sunday:
    Rest, stretch, hydrate and recover.
    Monday: Run four miles. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday: Swim 300 meters. Tread water for 10 minutes. Rest, and tread water again for fiver more minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, six times, at a mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike five miles, with pack, in an hour and 40 minutes or less.
    Saturday: Hike six miles, with pack, in two hours or less.

Week 3

Sunday: Rest, stretch, hydrate and recover.
    Monday: Run five miles. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday:
    Swim 100 meters at max effort, five times. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, seven times, at mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike five miles, with pack. Strive for goal of 1 hour and 20 minutes.
    Friday:
    Complete the short card, twice.
    Saturday: Hike eight miles, with pack, in two hours and 40 minutes or less.

Week 4

Sunday: Rest, stretch, hydrate and recover.
    Monday: Run six miles. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday:
    Swim 500 meters. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, eight times, at mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike five miles, with pack. Strive for a goal of an hour and 15 minutes.
    Friday: Complete the short card, twice.
    Saturday: Hike 10 miles, with pack, in three hours and 20 minutes or less.

Week 5

Sunday:
    Monday: Run three miles. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday: Hike five miles, with pack.
    Wednesday: Run through the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) at max effort. Swim 300 meters. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Thursday: Rest, stretch, hydrate and recover.
    Friday:
    Complete the short card, twice.
    Saturday: Hike five miles, with pack. Strive for an hour and 10 minutes.

Week 6

Sunday:
    Monday: Run six miles at max effort. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday: Swim 500 meters. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, 10 times, at a mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike five miles in an hour and 10 minutes.
    Friday:
    Complete the short card two times.
    Saturday: Hike 12 miles, with pack, in 4 hours or less.

Week 7

Sunday:
    Monday: Run three miles. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday: Swim "hard" for 100 meters, five times. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, 11 times, at mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike five miles in an hour and 10 minutes.
    Friday:
    Complete the short card two times.
    Saturday: Hike five miles, with pack, in an hour and 10 minutes.

Week 8

Sunday:
    Monday: Run six miles. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday: Rest, stretch, hydrate and recover.
    Wednesday: Complete a PFT at maximum effort. Swim 300 meters. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Thursday: Rest, stretch, hydrate and recover.
    Friday: Complete the short card, two times.
    Saturday: Hike 12 miles, with pack, in three hours and 30 minutes.

Week 9

Sunday:
    Monday: Run six miles a race pace.
    Tuesday: Swim 500 meters. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, 10 times, at a mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike five miles, with pack, in an hour and 10 minutes.
    Friday: Complete the short card, two times.
    Saturday: Hike 14 miles, with pack, in four hours and 40 minutes or less. Setting your own goal is recommended.

Week 10

Sunday:
    Monday: Three-mile run to loosen up. Complete the short card.
    Tuesday: Swim 300 meters. Tread water for 15 minutes.
    Wednesday: Run 400 meters, six times, at a mile pace. Complete the short card.
    Thursday: Hike five miles without a pack.
    Saturday: Hike five miles without a pack.

Again, you can play with the numbers a little bit to accommodate your needs, but try not to mess with it too much. I hope everyone who reads this finds this helpful, lemme know what you think.

Attached Files Attached Files

Great workout. Too bad I only have 20 days left or I'd do it haha

Can I get a link to the site where you found this? Those documents freeze when I try to open them. And I' am wondering if there is something I can replace the hikes with...

Quote Originally Posted by the802 View Post
    Can I get a link to the site where you found this? Those documents freeze when I try to open them. And I' am wondering if there is something I can replace the hikes with...
    I got it from The Marine Corps Times, but I had some difficulty since they want a subscription. Try updating your Adobe Reader, see if that works. I'll try to save them as image documents and see if you can take a look at 'em that way. You might even ask your recruiter if they've got a subscription to The Marine Corps Times, this was just in an issue from two weeks ago.

Why is it that you'd want to supplement the hikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Hands View Post
    Why is it that you'd want to supplement the hikes?
    Lack of time, supplies, and no one to go with. All my friends do is drink, swim and play video games.

Quote Originally Posted by the802 View Post
    Lack of time, supplies, and no one to go with. All my friends do is drink, swim and play video games.
    Supplement with mountain climbers... do millions of them each day

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh wow, thank you very much for the downloads. This is great preparation for boot.
    Also, can anyone explain the chain breakers exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by JP702 View Post
    Oh wow, thank you very much for the downloads. This is great preparation for boot.
    Also, can anyone explain the chain breakers exercises?
    Some of the exercises between the push-ups and burpees are just meant to keep your muscles loose and ready without being too taxing - "chain breakers" are a good example (though if you're keeping your arms parallel to the floor and not going too fast, you'll feel a good burn in your deltoids). They can be done one arm at a time, but my recruiter liked to do them with both arms just for the sake of time.

The movement is as follows: bring your fists together at the center of your chest, elbows high, forearms parallel to the ground, then simply pull your arms apart until they're fully extended. Now go back to the starting position and you've just finished one rep of a "chain breaker".

Hope that helps.

I just finished DAY 3! I'm loving it so far, and I don't get bored the way I did with P90X, but I think I might add some weightlifting into the program just a couple days a week. One more tip; my recruter gave me a Running to Marine Corps Cadence CD, and having the cadences on my iPod really helps while running.

If you're having trouble with running, or just want to better your breathing or even get used to running to cadence - download some of them. There are a ton available on iTunes, and it will help with keeping tempo, AND breathing if you follow the cadences. You don't have to shout them at the top of your lung (people might look at you funny), but saying them will regulate your breathing.

Stay motivated, poolees!

Just did this short card. It was awesome. I do not feel exhausted in any one muscle group but it was really quite a cardio workout (Burpies get my heart going every time). I might do the card again later tonight if I am feeling restless before dinner.

we did that last week, its one hell of a work out!

Quote Originally Posted by EastofWest18 View Post
    Just did this short card. It was awesome. I do not feel exhausted in any one muscle group but it was really quite a cardio workout (Burpies get my heart going every time). I might do the card again later tonight if I am feeling restless before dinner.
    I usually feel really sweaty after finishing the short card, but I don't actually hurt until about 8 hours later or the next day (My RSS just did it again yesterday for the DEP function, I'm hurtin'!). Glad to hear a couple of poolees are getting something out of the MARSOC workout.

star jumpers!!!

At the RS that I work out from, we do star jumpers differently. You start standing feet shoulder width apart, squat down until both hands touch the ground, then burst up and jump spreading your arms and legs out into a star position. It is immensely more difficult than jumping jacks (which we call side shuttle hops).

wow this seems like a great workout plan, i have just about 10 weeks left before I'm supposed to leave although my recruiter is pushing me to leave earlier (which i completely want but need to improve my run time just slighty) i might try this out but seems a little short on pull up work, also might add a few weight movements in but thank you this seems like a nice challenge

Credits
    Savings
    I asked my Recruiter if he could look some things up for me about MARSOC almost 6 weeks ago. I've been doing the short card since.

As far as the 10 week course.. Well, I do what I can in the environment that I live.

But If anyone is preparing for boot camp, I highly recommend the workout.

Marine Friend Free Member mattraburn's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    this workout seems pretty effective i got until october to work on it so i could do this twice

Thread Information