JAG Corps?
Create Post

Thread: JAG Corps?

JAG Corps?

Hello Everyone.
    I know that I am enlisting in the Marines, so that isn't what I am worried about, but its the MOS that I want. If I go enlisted I want to be a 3531 Motor T, but just recently, another MOS, one that requires you to be an Officer, has caught my eye, but I can't find much information on it. It's the JAG lawyer. If you could tell me a little more about it that would be awesome. Do you have to go in the Navy and be appointed to be a Marine Corps lawyer, like corpsman? Or is it like the Marine Corps has their own JAG Corps? All I do know is that you have to have like 6 or 8 years of college prior to actually enlisting. But that's really all I know. So thanks for you help and time.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineBound View Post
    Hello Everyone.
    I know that I am enlisting in the Marines, so that isn't what I am worried about, but its the MOS that I want. If I go enlisted I want to be a 3531 Motor T, but just recently, another MOS, one that requires you to be an Officer, has caught my eye, but I can't find much information on it. It's the JAG lawyer. If you could tell me a little more about it that would be awesome. Do you have to go in the Navy and be appointed to be a Marine Corps lawyer, like corpsman? Or is it like the Marine Corps has their own JAG Corps? All I do know is that you have to have like 6 or 8 years of college prior to actually enlisting. But that's really all I know. So thanks for you help and time.
    Did you ever watch JAG on TV?

Was Sarah 'Mac' McKenzie Navy or Marine?

Funny thing here, you not sure whether you want to be a mechanic or lawyer.

Appears your head is all jumbled about at this time. Methinks you should do some serious soul seaching and decide exactly what YOU want to do.

Ciara, I don't mean to state the obvious, but... you're 15 (at least your profile says you are). High School graduation and College or military enlistment is still quite a ways off from you. Not that it's not good to think about the future once in a while, but you're very far away from making any decisions that will influence your future in that kind of way.

My advice: Enjoy your age right now. When you get to be Big Al's age, you'll wonder where it went and why it was so short and so long ago (love ya buddy ). Even I wish I had appreciated my teenage years more and I'm only 30.

That being said, you need to understand some terms. Officers don't enlist. They commission. Commissioning requires that you have a four year college degree. Enlisting you can do straight out of high school with no prior college required. They are very different in scope and responsibility, but both paths will earn you the title Marine.

Think about what you want to do with you life in general (what you enjoy, what fires your passion) and then look for something in the military that closely resembles it. The military will only ever be one part of your life. Most people live to 80. Even if you do 20 years in the service, it's only a quarter of your life. Do something that will help you to enjoy the other 75% of it.

I concur with the previous two posters about enjoying your life right now and not getting too wrapped up in future plans, which are often subject to change. As Isrowei stated though, there's nothing wrong with having goals. To directly answer your questions:

1. You do not have to enlist in the Navy to be a Marine judge advocate. The Marine Corps does not have a "JAG Corps" so to speak. We have officers who are judge advocates. In the Army, Navy and Air Force, the lawyers make a separate staff officer corps. In the Marines that is not the case, you're an unrestricted line officer. You go through the same training as every other officer (the 10-12 week Officer Candidate School and 6 months at The Basic School). Following that you go to the Naval Justice School for 10 weeks.

2. To become a Marine judge advocate you need a four year college degree and a law degree from an ABA accredited law school. You can attend OCS just before law school (provided you can prove you've been accepted and get a law contract), during law school or after law school. If you are serious about becoming a Marine judge advocate, for now your focus needs to be on getting good grades, staying out of trouble (not suggesting you're a troublemaker, but this is an important point) and getting into college. Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah
    My advice: Enjoy your age right now. When you get to be Big Al's age, you'll wonder where it went and why it was so short and so long ago (love ya buddy ). Even I wish I had appreciated my teenage years more and I'm only 30.
    It has gone by damm quick.

Several, nay, MANY, things are still on my Bucket List.

Thread Information