UV tattoos?
Create Post

Thread: UV tattoos?

UV tattoos?

I have a UV tattoo, a friend who is in the USMC suggested I just not mention that I had a tattoo and if asked just claim I didnt, you cant see it at all unless you are really looking through it under a lense of some kind, theres a small bit of scaring. A young mans mistake I got my ex's name in UV on my upper arm.
    I do not want to lie especially if I am about to sign my life and free will away to uncle sam and have it come up and bite me in the *** later.

I was told tattoos on the arms,back and pretty much anywhere but the hands,neck and head are ok as long as they do not offend anything. But then I just read that "Invisble UV tattoos are banned".

I have been really working hard to get myself into shape, my goal for the past 5 months has been to visit a recruiter and sign up in October. I have been pushing myself and working very hard for this, I did my research and this has just come as a big shock to me.

Any way to work around this? Should I just say I have no tattoos and if someone spots the scaring claim its one I had removed? Are UV tattoos totally banned or just if they are in the certain areas as with a normal ink tattoo?

Appreciate any information.
    John

Lying at any point is a fraudulent enlistment. Are you willing to take that risk? All it takes is for your roommate in the fleet to have a black light in their room (alot of them do) and a Sergent saying "WTF" and your done.

Why don't you get the UV tattoo removed? I am sure laser treatment affects UV ink the same way it does with colored ink.

does the shirt cover it if so you should be fine. but man if it cant be seen without a uv light then i dont think i would bring it up not telling u to lie at all. but if you are 110% sure it cant be seen without a special light or whatever then to me it dont exist.

Haven't you heard. They are now running a full body scan with a UV Light. Suggest you fess up to the truth and only the truth so help you god.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Haven't you heard. They are now running a full body scan with a UV Light. Suggest you fess up to the truth and only the truth so help you god.
    It honestly would not surprise me.(and yes I know your jk)

Corps clears up tattoo policy

2/4/2010 By Gunnery Sgt. Bill Lisbon, Marine Corps Air Station Yuma

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION YUMA, Ariz. — The Marine Corps released additional rules to its tattoo policy last month, banning more places on the body where Marines cannot get them and setting tougher rules for officers.

In addition to the already prohibited head and neck, Marines cannot get tattoos or brands on their hands, fingers, wrists or inside their mouths, according to Marine Administrative Message 29/10 released Jan. 15, 2010.
    Both commissioned and warrant officers are now limited to four tattoos or brands visible when wearing the standard physical training uniform, according to the new policy.

The policy’s intent is “to ensure Marines can be assigned whenever and wherever they are needed,” stated the message.

The recent change helped to clarify the March 2007 overhaul of the Corps’ tattoo policy, which prohibited excessive tattoos covering arms and legs.
    “I believe tattoos of an excessive nature do not represent our traditional values. Some have taken the liberty of tattooing themselves to a point that is contrary to our professional demeanor and the high standards America has come to expect from us,” said Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, in a March 19, 2007, message.

The new policy also clarified the size of any tattoos visible in PT uniforms cannot be larger than the wearer’s hand with fingers extended and joined and the thumb touching the base of the index finger. The 2007 policy was vague on the size, stating only that very large tattoos or collections of smaller tattoos covering all or most of a person’s arms or legs – also called sleeve tattoos – were unauthorized.

For officers, band tattoos wider than 2 inches are now prohibited. Enlisted Marines are allowed bands only as wide as one quarter of the arm or leg where it is tattooed as seen in the PT uniform. Band tattoos can either partially or fully encircle the circumference of the arm or leg.

Additionally, any enlisted Marine who had grandfathered sleeve tattoos can no longer apply for any Marine Corps commissioning or warrant officer programs.

“A Marine with tattoos doesn’t mean you’re a bad Marine,” said Sgt. Maj. William Wiseman, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron sergeant major. “However, since tattoos are a visual reminder of your personal thoughts, feelings and ideas, a Marine with visible tattoos may not be the best candidate for a high-profile assignment. Since the Marine Corps has the most recognizable uniform in the world, this makes the Corps a high-profile assignment. … You joined the Corps; the Corps didn’t join you.”
    In September 2008, Marines with excessive tattoos were banned from holding the special-duty assignments of recruiter and Marine security guard at U.S. embassies. Marines in those jobs “have a significant impact on public perception,” according to MarAdmin 494/08.

The recent message also reiterated that tattoos or brands continue to be subject to review in some cases pertaining to promotion, future assignments and training to determine if any might tarnish the Corps’ reputation.

Any tattoos that are racist, sexist, drug-related, vulgar, anti-American or are associated with any extremist group or gang are already not permitted on Marines.

The new policy also banned apparently invisible tattoos that use ultraviolet ink only visible under a black light.

Marines who currently have any of the now-prohibited tattoos won’t face any punishment, but they must document the tattoos with photos in their service record books no later than June 1, 2010.

http://www.usmc.mil/unit/mcasyuma/Pa...204tattoo.aspx

Appreciate the replies, the last post is what I read also.

no tats in the Corps
    would have made for a very empty barracks when i was in

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    <--- lie ;p they never scanned me for it. but you are going to be clothesless a lot throughout boot camp and MCT or SOI. So if it can be seen without a special light... i would say somethin.

Just tell your recruiter. It's not going to disqualify you. He just needs to do another form. Simple like a pimple. I don't understand why this is even an issue? Why are you not asking a recruiter about this? They are your best source of information.

WTF, over?

Quote Originally Posted by micarr57 View Post
    no tats in the Corps
    would have made for a very empty barracks when i was in
    Very true, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information