Pay for a Reservist
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Pay for a Reservist

What is the average pay for a reservist a month? I'm assuming not much but was wondering if you guys knew exactly. Lets use the rank of LCpl for example.

Also, are there any bonuses available for enlisting under 4x4 reserves? I'd be going 0861.

Thanks in advance.

How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to....and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums, too.

And it Marines, not guys.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    There is no such thing as avg. pay for a reservist. You get paid based on how many drill periods you did for that month.

As an E-3 you will get right around $50 per drill and you will get usually 4-6 drills on a drill weekend. You will also have the opportunities to do other things with your unit and get drill pay for it. Over the last year I guess you could say I have averaged right around $400 per month but I also participate in a lot of other functions for my unit.

You get paid for drill weekends. Each half day is one drill period. Usually you'll have a two day drill, sometimes three or four. Then calculate all the income taxes, TSP contributions, things like that. For example, my last drill weekend was a day and a half; after all the deductions the DFAS deposit was about 120 bucks.

Two week AT is different but I don't know how. Always always always make sure you find out if you live far enough away to rate billeting and per diem. My last AT nearly doubled my pay in per diem simply because I lived far enough away from the drill site to rate it and I stayed in a hotel free of charge for two weeks.

Going on ADOS gets you active duty pay but you'll rate BAH based on residence, not duty station (Chicago got me almost 400 bucks a month more than Great Lakes ^_^).

Generally, though, a weekend warrior lance coconut like me will net about 150-180 bucks a month on average.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks guys.

Regarding "per diem". The drill unit is 150 miles away. Will I most likely be entitled to it?

I'll be going to school so I'm guessing Saturday, and Sunday is when I'll be drilling so thats 4 times. I might have to find another method of income aswell, doesn't seem enough to live comfortably in college.

Credits
    Savings
    I also completely forgot about the pay for Boot Camp, MOS School, MCT (I'm going to be 0861) Jump School, and deployments, and maybe a bonus. Guess that makes up for it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofla91 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Regarding "per diem". The drill unit is 150 miles away. Will I most likely be entitled to it?

I'll be going to school so I'm guessing Saturday, and Sunday is when I'll be drilling so thats 4 times. I might have to find another method of income aswell, doesn't seem enough to live comfortably in college.

It's not enough. Don't ever expect to be able to live on drill pay, even with per diem.

Locked until I see a properly completed profile.

Re-opening....but our poster gets a 7 day timeout.

Really, if you don't like:

Site rules and/or
    Marine Corps Regulations.....

Theres always Barber College.

Or trade school.

Consider those options.

Because I forsee, even IF you make it through Recruit Training and become a Marine....unless you adjust yourself to the MARINE CORPS way of doing things....your career prospects with 'us' are very dim indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofla91 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Probably not on a drill weekend. Per diem is usually for when you're on orders, as far as I know.

You will not live comfortably on drill pay. In fact, you will probably spend a bit of your drill pay commuting that 150 miles each way, maybe eating out with your unit that weekend and possibly on other Marine Corps related things.

Thread Information