Lateral Move Question
Create Post

Lateral Move Question

I'm looking into getting a lateral move into the 03xx field i know im capable of being in 03 since my pft score is 290 and im never tired on the hikes, i kinda got screwed over, my recruiter told me i can easily get a lateral move after a certain amount of time into the 03 field since their always in need of grunts, I'm still new to the corps (8 Months,i plan on doing this as a career)
    so I'm still trying to figure out how things work. I finished MOS school and have checked into my reserve unit, i just want a little info how long is the wait and will it be success how hard will it be etc.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Popsicles89 View Post
    I'm looking into getting a lateral move into the 03xx field i know im capable of being in 03 since my pft score is 290 and im never tired on the hikes, i kinda got screwed over, my recruiter told me i can easily get a lateral move after a certain amount of time into the 03 field since their always in need of grunts, I'm still new to the corps (8 Months,i plan on doing this as a career)
    so I'm still trying to figure out how things work. I finished MOS school and have checked into my reserve unit, i just want a little info how long is the wait and will it be success how hard will it be etc.
    What you are wanting to do is a long drawn out process, you wouldn't be "lat moving" though. What you would have to do is request a conditional release from your reserve unit, once that is approved you can go to a recruiters office and get re-contracted. This process alone takes close to and some times more than a year. Even if you can get re-contracted (i say 'if' because the want those kind of AD slots to go to new recruits) you may have to wait awhile in order to get 03xx because depending on when your release gets approved that MOS may be filled for that fiscal year. IN that mean time you will be working on recruiters aid or at your reserve unit until you can ship back out to SOI.

I hope that makes sense to you, its not as easy as just saying its what you want and "lat moving". If you have any questions about it feel free to ask. I have been through the process of doing this twice now.

So why haven't you been able to successfully move out of your old MOS?, don't we as already enlisted get first pickings then the pooles who are just coming in.

Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb Follow Through

So why haven't you been able to successfully move out of your old MOS?, don't we as already enlisted get first pickings then the pooles who are just coming in.
    You're talking about lat moves, generally at reenlistment (except for certain MOSs). Look at your case from the Marine Corps point of view. Why should they pay to retrain you and your replacement when you haven't even fulfilled the time you promised them in your current MOS? Hell it really isn't even fair.

If you want my two cents, suck it up and fulfill the first deal you made before you start trying to make another one. I'm not putting you down by any means-hell I wish more Marines were willing to fight-I'm just saying this war machine is not about the warrior; it's about the mission.

SF and good luck, brother.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I got the conditional release from my unit with no problems, it was getting re-contracted that was the hard part. The first time I put in for it I would have had to wait about 7 months for the MOS field to open. The second time they just were not allowing any Marines except SNCO's to augment to AD.

This isn't considered a lat move where you get preference on MOS and duty station, like the Sgt. said the Corps just got done spending money on you to go through boot, MCT, MOS school, travel, etc... why should they give you preference for this when you haven't fulfilled your fist tour of duty yet.

Yea you guys are right, i guess ill have to wait 6 years for my reserve contract to be over... which leads me to my other question... say in 6 years im a Sgt and i re-enlist as active duty.. aren't i obligated to do one of the 3 billets (D.I,Recruiter,MSG) which means i can't get a crack at 03?..
    And another thing... say i serve 2 years in reserve and somehow they accept me as active duty, would my 2 years in the reserves count for anything if i went active duty? or would it just go back to 0 lol...

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Yea you guys are right, i guess ill have to wait 6 years for my reserve contract to be over... which leads me to my other question... say in 6 years im a Sgt and i re-enlist as active duty.. aren't i obligated to do one of the 3 billets (D.I,Recruiter,MSG) which means i can't get a crack at 03?..
    And another thing... say i serve 2 years in reserve and somehow they accept me as active duty, would my 2 years in the reserves count for anything if i went active duty? or would it just go back to 0 lol...
    obligated to do a b-billet?...no...

yes your time in reserves does count as something although it may not mean much to the Marines you may end up working with/for on the active side

B billets arent required? Hmm well in anycase how long should i wait before asking for an uncondotional release from my reserve unit?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    conditional release not unconditional....and you can do it whenever you want

ah i see, thank you lance corporal

Thread Information