Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Corpsman awarded bronze star

Corpsman awarded bronze star

July 16, 2010 6:04 PM

HOPE HODGE

A Camp Lejeune Navy corpsman received the prestigious bronze star medal with combat device Friday for an act of heroism in Afghanistan that saved the life of his unit’s senior enlisted Marine.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Nicholas Latham, of 3rd Battalion, 10th Marines, was on patrol Dec. 23 when his squad was engaged by insurgents. In pursuit of the enemy, unit Sgt. Maj. Raymond Mackey inadvertently stepped on and triggered an improvised explosive device, which instantly amputated his legs.

Latham rushed to the scene under fire, working to revive Mackey and treat his wounds with tourniquets and pressure dressings and keeping him stable until a helicopter came to evacuate him.

“Hospitalman Latham’s quick reaction, expert care, and selfless risk of his own life ultimately saved (Mackey’s) life,” Latham’s award citation read. “Surgeons at the Camp Bastion Trauma Center indicated that the professionalism of the care provided was extraordinary in any circumstance.”

The battalion commanding officer, Lt. Col. Todd Finley, said he was proud to see one of his men honored for his bravery.

“It’s not often that we get to recognize an individual for the bronze star, so it’s a big day today as we prepare to recognize the accomplishments of this young man, but also the accomplishments of this battalion,” he said. “The expectation is that we take care of our own. The Marines have done that through the history of our Corps.”

Latham said he was honored to receive the award but felt it represented the work of his entire unit, as well as himself.

“Whenever I am asked about this, I will always tell them about the Marines I served with,” he said. “If it hadn’t been for this well-groomed, impressive group of Marines, the outcome would not have been what it was.”

He said he has seen Mackey, who plans to remain in the Corps, several times since returning stateside in May.

“He looks good,” he said. “He was so tough. Even after it all happened, he kept on laughing and telling jokes.”

Latham also spoke of Marine Sgt. Christopher Hrbek, who assisted him in supporting and stabilizing Mackey. Hrbek received his bronze star posthumously at his funeral in January; on Jan. 14, he was killed after stepping on an IED in Afghanistan.

“Sgt. Hrbek should be right alongside me today,” Latham said. “He truly deserved this.”

Outstanding

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Great post Chuck, thank you!!

That's good stuff, nothing better then a Corpsman at your side such as this one.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OUTSTANDING Doc !!!

Good Work-GOD Bless Corpsman..........

Can't say much more.......Semper Fi Doc!

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    .....This thread disappeared pretty fast, thanks to that NASTY "How do I tie my own TUBES?" thread! I will echo what ALL Doc's feel about receiving medals for Valor...."it's my job, and saving the life of one of my Brothers, is plenty of thanks!"
    Marines, and FMF Doc's are ALL volunteers. We'd have it NO other WAY!......
    SEMPER FIDELIS!!!!....ALWAYS!......Doc Greek.....

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Semper Fi Doc Latham!

Credits
    Savings
    Great job Doc, Congratulations and Semper Fi!

OOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH HHHH,JOHN I couldnt Have said it better myself.AS I SAID BEFORE WE DOC'S take semper fi to heart we love our brothers.

SEMPER FI MY BROTHERS

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Honor goes too the Man that Kills...Greater Honor goes too the Man that Heals..."Go Devil Docs Go"...Semper Fi

Great job Doc...

Thank-you Doc! Thanks to all of you corpsmen bravely going where your Marine brothers need you... you are our heroes.

Thread Information